main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Naboo Nightgown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by QueenLaniAmidala, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I have used, on occasion, metallic gel ink pens for marking the backs of dark velvet fabrics, and was really pleased with the results.
    Some non-metallic ones also work, but there is a high level of variable success based on weave of silk, brand of pen., etc.
    So, it helps if you have several on hand to test with, and be sure to let them sit a while (several hours, at least) on your test piece before deciding which to use. Some, over time, will seep through to the nap side of the fabric, leaving no mark to be seen on the back.

2. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    Ferd, did you try marking the fabric and then smocking it? I know you said sharpies seep through, but it seems to me that the marked points are where you sew, so they would be on the bottom, and the rest of the fabric would bunch around it so you couldn't see the marked spots. Of course, I wouldn't do red on white, but black on navy velvet seems to me like the bleed-through would just fade into the smocking shadows.

3. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Yeah--I did try that, and the marks did still show. Maybe I'm just being anal retentive, but I noticed the marks after the fabric was "bunched" up after it is smocked.

(with this technique you have to mark it before you smock--or else you don't know where to put your stitches.)

4. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I've been using a white fabric pencil and a ruler, and it's the biggest pain. Takes me longer to mark the dots than to actually smock! [face_frustrated] So for the test piece, I stopped being so anal about making everything exactly 1 inch apart. :p

Metallic gel pens - that's a good idea, I'll try that.

Oh, and my mom saw the Simplicity pattern, and she goes, "This is a very hard dress to make." I was like, gee thanks. :p

5. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Great suggestions - peg board and metallic gel pens on my shopping list now! Thank you guys!!

Ok, I am using Butterick pattern B4182 (which is actually considered easy) melded between the top views of A and D.

Perhaps I can finish my mock up (less the yet to be purchased zipper) tonight? I think in the final gown I will make a lace up back or do something else besides a zipper. Nightgowns are not usually zippery!
    :)
    ecila

6. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I think a lace up back would be pretty and comfortable if worn as a nightie. As a costume, a zipper would be more practical (don't want to have to retie the back if comes undone duing the con).

7. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't know, I think having it come undone has some merits. Something akin to Padme's "We can't fall in love but I'm going to wear a dominatrix dress around you" costume. :p

8. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
  9. wraith13

wraith13 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    For the gold trim, would it be possible to embroider it on canvas (like a patch) or a ribbon?

wraith13

10. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    I found similar trims at the stores I went to, except instead of being black on gold, it was gold on black. That, and the Greek blocks went in an S S S S pattern, rather than S Z S Z.

I just finished with about 2 hours of smocking, and I can't move my neck and back. Owwwwwww. :p

11. wraith13

Sep 20, 2002
    Two hours...ouch! I know when I knit too long, my arms and wrists can get pretty sore. It helps to take frequent breaks.

wraith13

12. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi,
    Here ia a pic of the red nightgown mock up and one of an hours worth of smocking. Going to make a few adjustments on the dress, but happy with the progress!

ecila

13. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    Oooooo Pretty :D The smocking looks so nice and the red nightie is pretty too. Those would be great for Valentine's day (or night ;) ). Looks like the progress is going good :).

14. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    That red velvet with smocking looks just luscious. I am a total sucker for red velvet anything...

(fabric, cake, etc. :p )

15. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Nice job ecila! It will look luscious!

16. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    *agrees with everyone else* Good job!

~Laura

17. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Red is a great color. [face_mischief] Look beautiful!

18. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Happy dance, happy dance! I got my new embroidery/sewing machine tonight. It is super cool!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone - I am ordering the velvet tonight!

ecila

19. wraith13

Sep 20, 2002
    The smocking looks gorgeous Ecila! I love it in red. Which isn't really a suprise considering all the red coats and jackets in my closet. :p
    I was looking at this pic from padawansguide.com and noticed that the trim seems to be just the gold. You can see the smocked velvet peeking out between the gold parts of the trim near the end of the sleeve. Would it be possible to embroider the design, then cut around it?

wraith13

20. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi Wraith - that is a very interesting idea! I think you may be on to something. :) I will play around with my machine and see what I come up with. There may be some type of modified buttonhole I can make too. Hmmmm.

Oh - and I did buy 3 metallic gel pens in gold, red and silver. The red and gold do not show up on the velvet, but the silver is fabulous! Going to grap a few more shades so I can have 2 working pens and alternate my color rows.
    ecila

21. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    My silk velvet came in today! Woohoo - let the fun begin!

I ordered 14 yards, but it is really surprisingly light. Next step is to get some more gel pens, find a peg board, and start dotting.

BTW, I got the Singer embroidery machine that runs off a laptop - wow it is awesome! The embroidery is really impressive. Now I just need to figure out how to sew with it!

ecila

22. wraith13

Sep 20, 2002
    Ecila, lucky you! Can't wait to see what you come up with using that fancy machine. :)
    I'm trying to decide between two yarns. First is the Peruvian Collection Highland Wool in Admiral blue. You can see it here:
    http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Peruvian+Collection+Highland+Wool&Cat=&ProductType=5&Count=1
    The other is Merino Style in dusk from knitpicks.com. Both prices are really good since I'll need more than 20 skiens. Which blue looks better?

wraith13

23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I think the dusk merino one looks the best.

24. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    I like the dusk too.

25. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi Wraith,
    I actually like the first blue the best! Could you get a sample of each and then compare? Sometimes it is hard going by online photos. Both do look close, though! Good luck!

ecila

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.