Padme Amidala Padme's Naboo Nightgown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by QueenLaniAmidala, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I cannot WAIT to see the gorgeousness, ecila!

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Me too. Smock ecila! Smock!
  3. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Good Luck Ecila! I'm sending positive vibes your way. I feel the clock ticking too. I only have a week left to finish my costume and I'm getting that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach now.

- kay dee
  4. ecila Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks guys!

Hang in there Kay Dee - we will all finish! (I think I can, I think I can...)

:)
    ecila
  5. -anthony- Jedi Knight

Well, I can't wait to see how it comes out !

I decided to use another half yard of velvet and do the dots WITH a ruler this time. I also bought paper that can print dots on my fabric, I bought two pack of this fabric, and I did not have enough to print...so I continued those dots with a ruler !

The squares are slightly bigger than the first piece of fabric I smocked, but I believe it will turn out better now that the square are ALL even !

I haven't started yet, as I'm sewing, sewing, embroidering, sewing and sewing (I mean, I really do!) for some other projects I will put on ebay- I mean, I'm really in a huge rush to get my first car before June hehehehe - I'm currently doing the Ep.3 Purple/blue robe!

Anthony
  6. ecila Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hi,

I found super man blue lining at Walmart and shiny gold trim at Joanns. The trim is not quite accurate - they actually did have a duller gold and black trim with the L shapes, but I picked the other gold instead because it is just prettier. Lol.

The back of the rode is done, all little too long. I have made it to the shoulder on my right side, and all the way to my waist in the front left.

Anyone know where I can find the ball thingies for the back of the robe?

Anthony - your new method sound very good. Good luck with the robes and the car!

ecila
  7. -anthony- Jedi Knight

Well, I dunno what you could do for the tassells in the back for a human size...but for my doll scale, I used a pearl, wrapped fabric around it,and have sewn royal blue beads and Orange beads aaaaall around each 5 pearls. it turned out very beautifully !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/spitweety/9-.jpg

(this is not my smocked robe- that is the one I will sell soon or later when I'm ready but it gives you a good idea of the tassell!)

Anthony
  8. ecila Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ooohhhh!

That is absolutely adorable!

ecila
  9. -anthony- Jedi Knight

Thanks, but the reason why I will be selling it and I'm redoing the robe with a real smocked velvet is that I figured out that the shape/patern of the robe is absolutly not like this, it's not as constructed at all....

Anthony
  10. wraith13 Force Ghost

star 1
    Found these patterns for making beaded balls for tassels:

http://www.swallowhillcreations.com/knit_button.htm
    http://www.swallowhillcreations.com/CrochetedBallfinal.htm

wraith13
  11. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Just wanted to add my encouragement ecila! You can do it!

I hope I get to see your costume at CIII! You most definitely have to send me pics for the site afterwards!

Wraith13 - those are good references for the beaded ball tassel! I'll add those to the page.. Also I think the peacock gown has them, so that will be useful for that too..
  12. ecila Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thank you for the references Wraith!

Maggie - I look forward to meeting you and seeing some of your beautiful costumes at CIII as well! :)

If I can somehow squeeze it in, I want to make this robe able to tie together in the front and have detable tassels - to turn it into the EPS III blue robe!

With this work, might as well have 2 costumes from it!

-still smocking away, have roughly 5 rows to go!-
    ecila
  13. wraith13 Force Ghost

star 1
    Maggie, glad the links were helpful :). I think I answered my own question from a couple of posts back.

Go, Ecila, go! :)
    I was actually thinking making the ROTS Blue Robe out of eyelash yarn. It would be pretty easy, too, with no special stitch pattern.

wraith13
  14. -anthony- Jedi Knight

Hey, I'm almost done with my doll costume's smocking....I have great fear that it will be too bulky on my doll though... all this work for nothing...

I think I can call that project the greatest accomplishment of my life - LOL I'm only 19 years old afterall....

I still need to do 7 rows, considering I do 10 rows a day, I will be done tomorrow.
    I have done a model of the unsmocked fabric and it is great - And I think I will have *just* enough when the whole piece of fabric is smocked...[face_plain]
    I used a little more than half a meter wide to smock...Imagine...my 16" doll will wear that...[face_plain]

Ok PICS TIME ! :)

Front

Back(I had to use white floss for a little while but it doesn't matter, uh LOL)

I'm sooooo nervous about the lenght of it when it's done and I'm soooo nervous about it being too thick....

Anthony
  15. JadeSolo Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Wow, anthony, that looks great! I'm especially impressed by how the dots on the back show up. :p

Okay, I finally figured out how to get the nightgown to fit me, so once I buy the real fabric for it, I can do that. I'm a novice, so it took forever to figure out how to do it all. [face_blush]

The robe itself seems pretty easy, aside from the painful smocking. But I wasn't sure about the actual pattern.

ecila - I was going to just completely copy what you did. :p And then I realised I had no idea what to do about the sleeves. I was playing around with some fabric, staring at pictures. It looked like it was just one big giant piece of smocked fabric, with no separate sleeve pieces. So what I'm thinking, is that once the fabric comes up and over the shoulders, it's attached at the sides, with enough room for the arm to fit through. So there's no real sleeve, except for that hole.

I don't know, does that work? [face_worried]
  16. JediMistress Jedi Master

star 2
    Anyone have an embroidery pattern figured out for the nightgown itself? I can't seem to find a really good picture of the "snowflakes" to find what the pattern and color really is.
  17. ecila Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hi,

I bought this embroidery pattern off of ebay (seller is sew02fast):
    [image=http://i2.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/19/d9/75_12_sb.JPG]

For some reason the machine always jams at a certain point in the design, so I have several nearly complete snowflakes on my dress.

And then I found some free swirl embroideries that I added randomly sticking out the side and in various sizes.

I think I posted the final results photo somewhere above. I need to post the final pics - I wore this one at CIII and probably will have it at DCon.

ecila

18. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    I overheard an interesting story about this costume while at FIDM. Apparently the woman who smocked the fabric for the robe was so sick of smocking once she finished she vowed never to smock anything again! I'm sorry my memory is fuzzy on the exact fabric used, I believe they said it was velvet (I've never researched this gown so perhaps the fabric type is common knowledge). Someone else thought it was a knit type of fabric though. The fabric is two toned - blue with hints of gold.

- Kay Dee
  19. Darth_Manos Jedi Master

star 1
    Its a "shot" velvet. Backing is gold, and the pile is a midnite blue.
    So sayeth Mrs Manos.
  20. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks Darth Manos (& Mrs Darth Manos ;) )! I was trying to listen to her tour but didn't hear all of what she had said. (got stuck on the thought of smocking all those yards of fabric and how it would drive me crazy).

- Kay Dee
  21. wraith13 Force Ghost

star 1
    Hey kay_dee,
    I'm the one making a knit version to avoid all that smocking. :p
    Thanks for the info Darth_Manos!

wraith13
  22. ecila Jedi Knight

star 2
    Great info guys!

Is there any way to find out how far apart the dots were in the smocking? I think my version is a bit wide, so I am curious by how much. Not that I am going to redo my robe or anything, lol.

Wraith13 - how is that knitting coming along? I need to post some pics of my robe and nightgown sometime.

ecila

23. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Interesting info! Thanks for the tidbits!
  24. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Ecila, I don't know there is any way to find out how far apart the dots were - but I could tell by looking at this one on display that the dots would have been closer together than on yours. The smocking pattern was smaller. Should we ask Darth_Monos's wife again what the yardage was they started with and the final yardage (she mentione it during her tour and I didn't have my pen in my hand to jot it down. I was too tired to retain much that day).

- Kay Dee
  25. Darth_Manos Jedi Master

star 1
    Something like 23 yards when the started. 5 when they finished.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.