main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Picnic Dress v2.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Hey, why DON'T we make a list of really good questions and try to get it to Trisha? She was so incredibly nice at CII that I can't imagine she would mind. If she wants to answer them, great! If not, we would understand. I don't think that's a crazy idea at all!

In fact, I can almost hear the start of the message: "Help us, Trisha Biggar-Wan-Kenobi, you're our only hope!" :)

Regards,
    M.

2. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Would anyone have an idea of WHERE to write to? Perhaps if we all write a letter a day until she answers...Hmmmmmmmmm Ferd says as she dips her feather pen into the ink and begins to gravel. Mirax I think your opening is priceless :)

3. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    A cut out debate? Hmmm..

They sure seem to be cutouts to me.
    I have done a few on some scrap and
    with a little fray check and some tiny
    hand done stitches they look identical..
    As for their function? I would say texture.

This outfit is soo embelished! All the
    design elements are in competion
    and the corset is supposed to win.

To 'out do' the cape, skirt and ribboned
    blouse. You use colour (the yellow
    swirls and pink roses), a set pattern
    (as opposed to the loose vine work)
    and texture (a crinkled silk that is quilted
    and opens up in place to the only not
    textured fabric).

Therefore the outfit is in balance with
    the corset as the center piece.
    But I still want to write to Trisha! :)
    Still so many questions about this outfit!

Sorry for this really long post, but I thought
    I could add my 4 cents for fun...

4. Sakura

Sakura Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2002
    Guess what Obi Dawn, I finally decided to go with satin for the corset and I found the right color I´m sooooooooo happy.

The only problem now is that I can´t find the right color for the fabric that´s used for the skirt I found a color that look´s almost like it but I ´d like to see if I can dye the fabric but I´m not sure if it will grab the color or not, what should I do? I´m going to use chiffon.

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Sakura, that's WONDERFUL! :D
    As for your chiffon, is it polyester or silk? As I understand it, silk will dye easily and polyester takes a bit more work, but will dye. I think there are others in this thread who can tell you more about dying than I can. ;)

afaeryschild, your explanation about the corset being the center piece and needing to 'outdo' the rest of the costume was so beautiful! I swear it brought tears to my eyes! (I think I need to go to another picnic-dress-aholics meeting....)

6. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    I LOVE fray check, and I know that would probably work fine for the cut outs-I just don't know if that's a route I'm going to take until I see iit a little better.

I had a brainstorm when I was just at Joann's. For all of the metallic gold swirly embroidery in the center panel I found a great "cheat" I think will work really well. They have this new fabric out with the Christmas stuff-it is a stiff kind of organza--very sheer then it has this wonderful swirly gold kind of treatmennt done to it. It's not painted, or glitter-but very metallic and showy (they have it in all sorts of designs-this is the swirl) My plan is to use this on top of the crinkle fabric for JUST the center panel of the corset. It is so sheer that only the gold swirls show up and the color of the crinkle shines through. Then you could do the "flames" and vines and roses on top. I bought a piece to play with-but hhought I would throw that outt there. It's 58" wide and $9.99 yard.
    :) Ferd

7. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Sakura I dyed my corset fabric, which was polyester. I used RIT dye in golden yellow. I had to boil it in a dye bath for over 30 minutes, but it turned out perfect. So don't let polyester fabric stop you! [face_clown]

Obi-Dawn, afaeryschild and anyone else with the Meijer's tablecloth: Do you think it would be possible to use those roses on the corset as well? On the actual costume, the corset roses match the cape and the headband. Cutting them from the tablecloth remainder will accomplish the uniformity (not to mention save lots of embroidery time!).

What do you guys think?

8. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Count me in the Meijer tablecloth crew. I am planning to use the extras on the bodice, though I think Dawn mentioned they seem a little small. I was thinking about using them as a base and adding just a bit more floss to build them up. Haven't tried it yet, though.

Out of curiousity, what are the other tablecloth folks doing to color the netting part? So far, I've tried several fabric paints and the only one I like is by Jones Tones. It's a very time consuming process, though, so I'm still looking at other ideas.

Regards,
    M.

9. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I'm so scared of ruining my tablecloth! I'm totally not even thinking about the color yet. Maybe if I don't think about it the problem will just go away..... LOL [face_clown]

I do agree about the roses being too small. I just thought they might carry the uniformity over to the corset. Good idea about adding more floss, Mirax!

Since you had a good idea like that, then I guess I can forgive you for being a Michigan fan! 8-}

GO BUCKEYES!!!

10. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    I'm working from the tablecloth too (thanks to Obi-Dawn :) ) I plan on making a child's version of this -so the rose size is about perfect. But, for an adult version I think for accuracy sake they should be built up slightly. I have in my stash several yards of fabric that looks like the wrap, except the roses are lavender. I'm still waiting to find out if it's available in pink. In the meantime I'm going to experiment with dying the buds from lavender to rose pink.
    I used my little stork scissors and delicately cut the buds out, and had no trouble at all. Of course I would add a little fray check for insurance.

I experimented slightly with dying the tablecloth yesterday. I dipped in tea, and didn't have much success. Granted I didn't leave it in very long--and all I had was Cold Brew tea-which isn't very strong as far as dyeing things.
    My plan for dyeing it *in theory* is to lay out the fabric on butcher paper or rags (something you don't mind dyeing) Then I would make up the yellow/gold dye soluction. I would use one of those sponge-brushes and dab the dye onto the net parts, working around the roses. The underlayer would keep the dye from making puddles, and I *think* the dye would be potent enough to tint it without soaking it. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Ferd (sorry-I'm always long winded :) )

11. Jenny-LaFleur

Jenny-LaFleur Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    About the cut-outs. I agree they are cut out, showing the second layer of the corset but I've been thinking about Ferd's idea of satin stitching. This might be a good "cheat" for those who want the effect but have a deadline (and NO idea how to do the cutouts). I should test this...

12. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    I think I'm going to try out Mrs Mayim's idea and make buttonholes and weave ribbon through them. *Test Test Test*

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the ribbons will look so pretty. Show us pictures when you do it!

The tablecloth roses are a bit too small for the corset, imho. I want to try learning how to make them myself, but so far, all my 'tests' have turned out lousy. BAH!

14. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I've decided to go hunting with a swatch of the tablecloth, in search of similar flowers or fabric with flowers that are larger. I am too scared to try my own! And I really don't want to ruin my corset -- it's looking really good so far and I'm weary of messing it up!

Here's a new question for you guys. My corset is made of three layers, plus boning: Outer crinkly fabric, which is thin but not sheer; interfacing to back the embroidery; and a thin layer of lining. I am worried that it's going to be too thin, even with the boning. What is a good way to make it sturdier without being too bulky? I don't want to add yet another layer of fabric...Any thoughts?

Or will the under-dress work as a form of support?

I know this is probably leaning towards too much info, but... my ribcage is only 34, but my chest is large. I don't want to ruin the line of the costume with a bra or anything else, but I definatly need support! For others with this problem, what has worked for you?

15. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    MrsMayim I personally would add another layer. A corset is made to fit really tight and give support. Interfacing will add some body, and stabilize embroidery but I personally would add another layer for a nice fit and "stiff" look ( I used Duck cloth) but if you have the means to get Countil(sp?) which is what Koshka used--it is made for corsets. Real corsets are quite heavy and can stand on their own. If you make a tight fitting garment that is not heavily reinforced and sturdy-when worn it will get that bent kind of wrinkle along the waistline- :confused: Make sense?

Obi-Dawn what stitch are you attempting for the roses? They look dimensional to me--and I would swear they are an eyelet rose (of course I can't find a picture of one of those right now :( )
    I have emailed a great emboidery source in Australia and sent them a pic of the roses and am asking them for their expert opinion-so I'll let you know.
    In the meantime-here are some links to some really beautiful bullion roses, which I have done before-they are highly addictive and pretty and could work out nicely for this project.
    How to Make a Bullion Rose-no pictures
    Beautiful Embroidered Rose
    Roses done in Padme's colors
    Awesome Embroidery Book

If anyone is interested in the book, I have a local source-PM me and I can send you one. :)
    Ferd

16. Renaissance_Woman

Renaissance_Woman Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    I found a source for ribbon roses if anyone is interested. I already have mine bought, and I have no idea what they cost from this site or how reputable they are, but they seem to be the closest thing out there that doesn't require actually embroidering them on the cape.

ribbonbows.com

Keep paging through, there are several different kinds.

17. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    For those of you who want to know how to make the embroidered roses I've put up a page with step by step photos and instructions.

http://www.angelfire.com/art/kathys/roseemb.htm

The roses are made using a simple satin stitch that overlaps to make a 5 sided shape. I have to practice a bit more, but this is the way the roses were made on the cape fabric I purchased and I've also studied the high resolution photos pretty well. I just haven't quite settled on the floss colors I'm going to use :)

I hope this helps all of you out. If there is something unclear about my instructions feel free to ask questions.

-Kay Dee

P.S. Obi-Dawn, I'm still wondering how you attached your roses to your headband :) Did you sew them on?

18. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Ferd, I just read your plans for dying your cape fabric. You might be able to dip the entire thing in a bath instead of trying to dab around your roses. I'm not sure what materials the tablecloth is made out of, but the embroidery on my cape was done in rayon which does not take up dye well at all. I was able to put the fabric in the dye bath and the embroidery was not effected at all.

Just a thought :) You may have already tried this though.

-Kay Dee

19. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Kay-Dee thank you so much for your step-by-step instructions! You took something realatively difficult and broke it down into much simpler terms that are so easy to understand! Makes me want to go ahead and attempt the roses myself (after much practice on extra fabric, of course). [face_clown]

20. Sakura

Sakura Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2002
    Thank´s a lot Mrs. Nayim and Obi Dawn I´m going to use silk wish me luck, as for the simpliity patterns I finally found them in a store that I hadn´t checked out before so I´m of to continue,I´ll tell you more later.

21. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Kay-Dee Thanks for the tip-but when I tryed the tea yesterday the floss did tint slightly-I'd don't know how dipping it in real dye would work--Koshka had luck dying her fabric without affecting the roses--I guess before I try my theory-I'll test a sample again :) Thanks!

Oh, I did check out your site and I think you pretty much nailed it. I have some fabric with lavender roses (which I think are the exact same)I've studied them and that's how they seem to be stitched. It's driving me crazy digging thru all my embroidery books and magazines looking for the NAME of that stitch :confused:
    Ferd

22. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Hi Ferd, I guess if the tea dyed your roses they may have been embroidered with cotton floss. My nylon netting took up the dye in less than a minute, so my roses were not affected. It was a warm dye bath, so maybe that makes a difference?

I know what you mean about searching through embroidery books! I have three books and none of them describe how to make the rose! I just had to tear apart the roses on my pre-embroidered cape to see how they were done. We will just have to give that stitch our own name - overlapping satin stitch :)

-Kay Dee

23. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Padme's Pentagon Rose perhaps? :)

Floss choice will definatly be important-especially when building up those little ones on the tablecloth--hmmmmm... anticipating hours staring at the DMC floss rack...
    Ferd

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    kay_dee, THANK YOU!! for that excellent step by step tutorial! That needs to be edited into the index!

I totally cheated by gluing the roses onto the headband. [face_mischief] Just a tiny dab of super-glue and they are never coming off. tee-hee..shhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone.

Sakura, I'm glad things are coming together for your dress. Keep us posted!

25. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Mrs M. - Thank you for giving us Wolverines a chance. :) BTW, my husband is a Buckeye, so I'll FORGIVE you, too. :) Do you all go to the games?

Regards,
    M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.