main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Picnic Dress v2.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Dawn - those pics came out great! Mind if I borrow the ones I'm in? And some of the ones you're in for the site? I haven't quite finished sorting through my pics yet - but I got one of you - wish I'd gotten more!

http://www.padawansguide.com/dcon03/dawn1.jpg

You looked so great in that costume! :)

I officially added this costume to my "to do" list - but it may still be awhile before I actually start on it! :)

Maggie

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Ordered 30 more of the small flowers, I have also ordered a test piece of a fabric that's called golden-yellow chiffon. If the chiffon I've found so far runs out I will hopefully have an alternative.

3. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Have you got any new pics of the picnic-in-progress, Obi-Anne?

4. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Great pics, Dawn! You are the ONLY person I've found yet with pics of Jay and I as Jack and Elizabeth. I haven't forgotten to send you the one of the two of us, either. It's on my to-do list, I promise. :)

Regards,
    M.

5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Sola, unfortunately not. I don't have a digital camera, and I'm only in the beginning of a roll of film. :( I'm still working with the embroideries, I've started to fill out all the swirls with different shades of yellow now.

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Really, Mirax? Well, I'm glad I got them then!
    I recall seeing some more of the two of you on sites listed on Dragon*Con's official site. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact links where I saw them, but they are around! If I come across anymore I'll be sure to send them your way. And, as a gushy side note, I really loved you and Jay dressed up like that. You two were just awesome together!

Maggie, I have no problem with you using any of my pics. As long as the other gals in them don't mind either. :)

Oh boo! kay_dee, my space keds had a paint problem. As in the gold paint likes to rub off! :eek: Fortunately, I discovered this while breaking them in around home and so home is exactly where they stayed. I ended up wearing my little satin ballet slipper deals. In fact, my Moulin Rouge shoes have seen better days too. I painted parts of them gold and by the end of Friday night...well, they need to be massively touched up if I were to use them again, which I probably won't since a new can-can dress design is in the works. :D
    And my hair was all wig. eeps! First wig I've ever worn! LOL! I have bangs which do not behoove the headband style, so I schlepped all my real hair into a wig cap thing and wore a wig. Apparently, my hairline starts pretty low on my forehead, because no matter what I did, the wig would not stay down low enough to completely cover it. So, in a few pics you can sorta see my real hairline peeking out. :( Especially by the end of the day! Oh well. At least I didn't have bangs!

7. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Obi-Dawn - I'm sorry to hear your space keds didn't work out :( At least you found out before leaving for the con.

I was wondering if you wore wig and how you got rid of your bangs! (now I know :) ) That wig was a very good, realistic looking one - where did you get it from?

So have you decided what costume you'd like to do next?

-Kay Dee

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I ordered it from WowWigs.com. It's called 'Visage' and can be found in the long fashion wigs section. I was pretty unsure of how it would work out, but it was okay. :)

Hmmmm...I've been contemplating and contemplating what to do next and still haven't made a decision. I'm really focusing on a few other non-SW projects for next year's Dragon*Con. Only 357 more days to go! :p

9. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    May I start my first post on this forum by saying that all you picnic dress girls KICK ASS! Wow! I never saw so much talent in my whole life! I'm also making the dress and this thread is really helpful for me. I'm just 16 so..:) not really a hero with a needle, if you know what I mean :p.
    Anyway...I wanted to hear your comment on the picnic broach that I made(It's my first version, so don't be hard on me oke?):

http://community.webshots.com/s/image7/2/46/9/90024609uVmYgg_ph.jpg

copy,past

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Welcome Tenyon :)

Your broach is just lovely! I think it's a very pretty interpretation. You wouldn't happen to have a good shot of the real one, would you? I don't think any of us have seen a clear close-up shot of it. :(
    I hope that you continue to update us with your progress and pics! How far along are you with the rest of your dress?

11. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Welcome Tenyon! I must say you are very talented, your brooch is lovely. I think the rose theme is just perfect for the rest of the costume.

Thanks for the wig link Obi-Dawn. My next costume might be the Eowyn Shieldmaiden costume from Lord of the Rings and I was thinking a blonde wavy wig like the one you had might be perfect! It all depends on if I can find just the right fabric and I'd need to get software for Christmas in order to do custom embroidery on my sewing machine. (I spent hours sketching the embroidery at FIDM and I'm determined to program my machine to do it!)

-Kay Dee

12. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Well, my corset is almost finished (Hurray! after 2 months of embroider!:( ). I'm currently punching sequences for my skirt and blouse (Au, my fingers). So I?m about halfway there?:)

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, kay_dee, that is a beautiful dress. The sleeves.......*sigh* :) Hope you do decide to make it!

Okay, Tenyon, pictures of your corset are formally requested. :p We looove pics around here.
    As for sequin punching, I feel for your poor hands....I remember the pain and numbness my hands and fingers went through when I was making mine. eep!

14. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    haha....yeah I had a feeling that you wanted a picture of the corset. It's not as accurate as yours is though; you see it's very hard to get the Simplicity or McCall?s here in Europe, so I just picked a pattern from a European company, but it's missing a few panels.
    I picked a golden crinkle satin fabric for my corset. I just ran in to it when I was shopping. But I had to dye it because the original color was white.

corset

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Tenyon, when I click on your corset link I get a message saying I don't have permission to access it. :(

It sounds like you've put in a lot of time and work on it, so I hope the link can be fixed?

16. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
  17. nashira

nashira Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2002
    ok all you embroidery queens....
    can you point me to a good website introduction to embroidery? I bought a couple of patterns for pillow covers that are gorgeous...but I have never embroidered before. :p

18. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    ooh tenyon, issa pretty thing that it is =P

as for embroidery,.. look through the section on this dress at www.padawansguide.com, there's some embroidery links there

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Tenyon, your corset looks just wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing with us. :)

Nashira, I like this site: Rissa's Pieces Stitch Dictionary because it has very simple illustrations. I admit to be pretty much self-taught though. I know kay_dee will have some good book recommendations for you too.

20. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Looks awesome, Tenyon!

21. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    *blushes*....thanks everyone!

22. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    Oh wow! Your corset embroidery is beautiful, Tenyon!
    Good luck on sewing the rest of your costume!!!

23. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Very nice embroidery Tenyon!. It looks like you are an old pro! It's so funny, every time I see new corset embroidery I think "That looks a lot like mine." I guess that's what happens when we all share our work :) Plus, I think we've all used part or all of Obi-Dawn's pattern! I can't thank her enough for sharing it.

-Kay Dee

24. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Tenyon, where are you coming from? Operating in Europe myself, I know it's hard to find things that are recommended in America. :)

I've gotten a problem with my eyes, or rather I have a cold that's gotten to my eyes so everytime I try to concentrate on something small I start crying. Needless to say I have had to make a break in the embroidery.

25. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Tenyon Welcome! And I agree, Beautiful Job! :) Your embroidery looks fantastic!

Obi-anne What kind of lighting to you use when doing tedious tasks? I use an Ott Light which is this great lighting source that is recommended for artists, seamstresses, etc. It reduces eye strain and simulates sun light versus artificial lighting. It also will provide "True Color".
    If those are not available overseas :confused: Just make sure that you use Plenty of light (natural preferably) when working. You can use a magnifier (such as one that hangs around your neck or a pair you wear-like for reading) to magnify the small details and try to keep your eyes from having to strain too much.
    A visit to the eye doctor could never hurt either :)

~Ferd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.