main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Picnic Dress v2.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    @Kay_Dee: Thank you, an I agree: If Obi-Dawn never came up with that pattern I would be sitting here with my hands in my hair trying to figure out how I'm supposed to complete this dress!

@Obi Ann: Another European! (makes funny little dance) So where are you from? I'm from the Netherlands (probably the rainiest country in Europe, in my opinion, :p).

@ Ferd: Thanks! Your picnic dress looks lovely too. Kind of thinking it: Everything you make looks amazing! Are you a professional?

2. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Tenyon, great job on your embroidery, its beautiful. I love your pin too. liann

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I use a lot of light when I do embroider, and I'm starting to get better.

Tenyon, I'm from Sweden. :) Where did you get your pattern from? Personally I work quite a lot with patterns from a Scandinavian company, but I also like to keep my eyes on Stil.

4. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Ah! Yeah! Stil! I know that one. I used a 'Burda' pattern, for my blouse. For the skirt I'm going to use my own pattern (a circle pattern to make the skirt look verry full).
    Almost finnished with the sequins!

@ Liann: Thanks! Your picnic dress is so gorgeous! Really! That's why I don't understand why you are re-doing your corset. What's wrong with it? :S

5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Oh yes, Burda has quite a lot of nice blouse-patterns. For that part I've been lucky though, thanks to Bobafemme, so I will use a McCall pattern.

6. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Lucky you! I actually DID found a site that sells American patterns though:
    Monsterpatterns
    But at the time I discovered it, I already had my blouse pattern.:p....(Typical me)

7. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    Tenyon, I wasn't happy with my embroidery, It didn't use the proper stitch for a lot of the embroidery, I used a satin stitch on the flames instead of the long and short stitch, and the roses don't match my new cape. I really like how the long and short stitch looks, it lies nice and flat unlike the satin stitch. liann

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Hi all
    Thought I'd share my work thus far on my dress with you. Dajuan's Link
    Tell me what you think.

9. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Looks nice, what fabrics have you used?

Tenyon, I'm planning on putting up a part of my picnic-site where I give pattern suggestions and tips for people in Europe. I would be happy if you would like to share what patterns and fabrics you used. :)

10. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Your dress looks beautiful Jedi_Dajuan, please keep updating...:)

@Obi Anne: I would love too. Probably because I had a dilemma myself with finding the right fabric for my dress, and patterns of course :). But I actually did it: I bought silk! (Don?t have a penny left though... :p )

11. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    Jedi Dajuan, nice job on your dress so far. Can't wait to see your corset. liann

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    It's two seperate fabrics. The top is a sheer pre-embroidried cream, and under it is a polyester thin yellow (it's HOT)(Don't know the names exactly, have them written down at home.)
    The sheer, which I felt was more important to give it the right look, came from the bridal section of the cloth store. I wanted to use Cloud Nine Jacard (sp?) but my one store was out and I didn't have a coupon for the other (expensive!). The sheer, with a 40% off coupon was $60.

13. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    For those of you who are considering making the picnic costume, I've recently found some great fabric options. I actually think I've found the crinkled silk that was used on the real corset! I really think the size of the crinkles and the pattern they make matches what I found at Thai Silks. They have a web site that you can order from too. Here is the link to the Crinkled Habotai Silk:

http://www.thaisilks.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TS&Product_Code=021K

If I were going to make my corset again I'd use this and flatline it with a more opaque silk dyed the same gold color.

I've also found some organza that could work for the shawl as well as a crinkled silk at Britex that's already dyed gold for those who are not wanting to dye their own corset fabric. All of the fabric swatches and information is up on this page:

Picnic Fabric Swatches

Maybe someone will find the information useful :)

-Kay Dee

14. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Those are great finds!!!

Anyway I think I have about a third of all the embrodery done by now, only month left though!!!!

15. Petite_Padme

Petite_Padme Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2003
    *Sigh* I am beginning to realize that I will not be able to complete my picnic dress in time for halloween. I have been so swamped with college, home work, and piano practicing that I probably will not be able to finish my corset in time.:( Let's see...I've done about 13 sets of flames, 9 roses, the 3 creamy scalloped swag things, about 20% of the leaves and stems. Can anyone give me a timetable on how much time I would have to spend on the corset per day to get it finished in three weeks?

On a more optimistic note, how many strands of gold thread did everyone use for the gold swirlies?

Petite Padme

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Petite_Padme, I used two strands of the gold thread for my swirlies.
    It sounds like you've got quite a bit already done on your embroidery too. I hope you can find time to finish it! :D

17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I recieved my bun covers today, they are so lovely, they really gave me a kick to continue the embroidery at double speed!!!!

So far I've used two strands on everything, when it's time for the roses I will try to do it with three or four strands.

18. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Well my dress is finished! I wore it at a con yesterday, and I won second prise! Hurray!
    A sweet little Anakin won first price :)
    The con was a blast, I really enjoyed myself!
    The people where friendly and we had a lot of fun together :)

picie

I'm looking a bit eh, sleepy :p but you can see the whole dress!

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Way to go Tenyon! :)
    You look great and I love your hair!

20. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    Very pretty, Tenyon! I love your hair!

21. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    It looks great, Tenyon, where was the con? There isn't a chance that you are going to the Jedi-Con in April next year? I'm going and it would be great to meet another picnic-Padmé.

22. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Congrats Tenyon! Your dress turned out great :)

-Kay Dee

23. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    It looks beautiful Tenyon!

24. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    O, wow, thank you for all your compliments! I really appreciate them :). Especially the hair compliments. I worked for hours to get it that way. If you want to I can tell you how I did it. Then I will take some pictures of the stuff I used. Meanwhile here is another picture of my hair, witch is my own :p.

picie

@Ann. I was thinking to go there...but I was not quite sure (don't know anybody there, and my German is not that good. I only can tell some personal stuff like my hobbies, and I can order bread...but that's all :p) but I will see what I can do!

25. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    Tenyon, you did a beautiful job on your dress and I love your hair, it looks perfect.
    liann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.