main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Picnic Dress v2.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Tenyon Your dress is exquisite--and I agree, your hair is just lovely! :) Yeah! Another Picnic groupee! [face_laugh]

~Ferd

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It would be great to have some instructions for the hair, I have big problems getting it right, not to mention the fact that I'm blonde.

Tenyon, I'm going to hang around the German FanForce people, they are nice, and there will also be quite a few people from England coming, so we will mostly communicate in English. :)

3. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Yes - Tenyon - your hair looks just right! Very nice job!

I'd love to post your pic on my site if that's ok!

Maggie

4. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Of course you may Maggie! :)

I will be attending the FACTS con in a week. I wil see if I can take a couple of good pictures of my hair in progress, cause I don't have any pictures of it now. So next week I'll post a tutorial oke?

@Ann: LOL...I was just kidding ;)But I checked everything, and I can come! So I will see you in April!

Tenyon, Picnic groupie :)

5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    That's great!!! :D :D :D Here's the link to discussion thread in the German Speaking FF btw.

6. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Where did everyone get their bun covers and fake hair? Mine's not long enough as it barely touches my sholder. I'm really stuck on this aspect. I also posted some more pictures to my site Dajuan's site.

7. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Check out the padawan's guide for information on the bun covers. I got mine from Lady McSnood (I think Padawan's guide has the URL). I know others here have ordered them from Lady McSnood and have been happy with them. They are a dead on match to the real thing.

I also have shorter hair, so I got a 3/4 wig of wavy dark ash blonde hair to match my own. This wasn't the brand, but it's a similar idea. Your own hair shows in the front, and this blends in in the back. You just have to curl your own hair before putting the wig on.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/wowwigs/saphire.html

I filled the bun covers with hair that I took off of those pony tail clips sold at the beauty supplies

Hope that helps,

Kay Dee

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Totally!! I bought the soonds from Lady Snood. Now I just have to find the wig. Hopefully it is not too terribly expensive. This dress is putting me in the poor house.

9. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Actually if you are really out of money you can use yarn instead of hair. For my budget-version of the dress I did that with my buns, and I've later reused those buns for some medieval hairstyles and people say that they have to look very close to see that it's yarn and not hair.

bad pic

10. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Isn't Lady MacSnood wonderful? I've had my snoods from her since before CII.

All I did was buy two curly hair scrunchies and a clip of long curly hair from Sally's that matches my own. (I think all three items are by Revlon.) I put one scrunchie in each snood and tied them closed. Then, any time I'm doing Padme, I curl my real hair, put the clip near the base of my neck, pile all my real hair on top to cover the clip and approximate the style, ratting and pinning as necessary. Then, the last step is to attach the bun covers (with the scrunchies already inside) using bobby pins.

It took me a lot of practice, but everything matches so well that I've fooled a lot of people into thinking it's all my hair.

Regards,
    M.

11. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Hi Tenyon - thanks - I'll post your pics!

If you can write up a tutorial on the hair, that would be a great thing to have! :)

Maggie

12. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Obi-Dawn told me she used doll wigs in her bun covers, which I thought was a terrific idea! You can get them at Michaels.

As for bun covers, I bought mine from Lady McSnood and they are very nice.

Ferd found a more affordable alternative though. She has a knitter who will do them 2 for $6 plus $2 for S&H. I have to get her contact info from Ferd to put on my site. Ferd - does she have a site you could post here?

Anyway, she'll do them with gold thread custom. They aren't 100% accurate, I don't think, but pretty close..

Here are the pics Ferd sent me of her bun cover and the gold thread..

http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/flowered/snood2.jpg

http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/flowered/snood2_thread.jpg

(cut and paste)

Maggie

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    That seems like a good idea Mirax. How long is you hair, and what color is it, have highlights? I wonder if that would work for me. Mine's pretty short and highlighted. Might be hard to color match. Before I had it done I could match the dark perfectly.

Great idea thanks!!

14. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Hey, there were 1138 replies in this thread! This is the 1139th. ;)

Caitlin

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    1138! :D

Love that movie....

16. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Jedi_Dajuan - My hair is fairly long, below my shoulders. I've been growing it out since a year before Ep. I. But, I've actually found it's getting almost too long to do the hairdo without looking overly full. Since I do use that hair clip for the back length, I'm seriously contemplating a haircut. :)

The picture on the bottom left of this page shows the back of my hair. And here's what the front looks like (after an hour in Atlanta humidity. :) )

As far as highlights, I don't really have any, but maybe you could add a few locks of crepe hair from Sally's in the highlight color to a premade clip?

Regards,
    M.

17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I've finally finished embroidering the flames, now it's on to the roses and the daisies.

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    That's great ObiAnne! :)

19. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Two clusters of roses done. My roses are more scarlett and pink than the original though, but that was intentional.

20. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Cool! :)

Can you post pics please? :D

~spacelady~

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I like the idea of scarlet in the roses.
    This costume would look beautiful in a lot of different color schemes....

We all look forward to seeing your dress, version 2, ObiAnne. :D

22. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    GO Anne! You can do it! You're almost there! :)

23. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Howdy-- fooling around and practicing my html skills and put this together that I thought *might* help someone who wants to make a easy corset to this costume.
    Click Me

~Ferd :)

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    FERD! I lovers it! You are so talented. :) That's a great alternative for anyone not wanting to slave away over embroidering...!

25. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Yes thank you Ferd! I may now actually attempt this dress!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.