Padme Amidala Padme's Picnic Dress v2.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Sola! Yes! Make this dress, you should. I know you'd do a spectacular job on it!
  2. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    All the roses and daisies are done, now it's just the stems and the leaves left!!!
  3. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Obi-Anne, do we get pictures soon?
    :)
    I, for one, am eager to see your new creation.

-sg
  4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Make that two eager people. :p
  5. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    Next weekend. Then I'm going to the con that I'm making the corset for and then there will be a lot of digital cameras around.

Sometimes it really stinks to have an old fashioned camera. ;)
  6. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    Ok, I have a question.

How have you attached the hair buns? Have you connected them with the headband or do you just use a lot of clips and hairpins? I would really like to avoid attaching them to the headband, but so far I haven't gotten them to stay in place with just hair pins.
  7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    With my first costume I attached the snoods to the headband. This didn't work as well as I would have liked it to. It was hard to keep them fitted closely to my head and they ended up sticking out a bit too much toward the bottom.

With my second costume I kept the snoods and the headband separate and had much better results. I put the headband on first and then the snoods. To attach the snoods I used A LOT of bobby pins and clips. Of course, I was wearing a wig which really gave the pins something substantial to attach to. I think this was a huge plus for me because I have relatively thin hair. They stayed on, close fitted to my head, all day with no problems.

Maybe, since the pins aren't securing them enough to your head on their own, you could do a combination of attaching the top of the snood to your headband with just a few stitches or clips and then use a lot of pins to secure the rest of the snood to your head?
  8. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    I also attached my buns similarly to Obi-Dawn. The wig I wore helped give me a little extra hair to put the bobby pins into. Also, curling my own hair before hand gave it extra body so the pins didn't slip right out. I also put one or two bobbypins at the top through the head band.

Some people also suggested making small pin curls on the side of your head in order to give the bobby pins something to grab onto.

I was never 100% satisfied with how my buns looked when they were on - maybe I needed more practice.

-Kay Dee
  9. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    kay_dee, do you have pics of your Picnic dress online?

:D
  10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Sola, there are wonderful pics of her over at The Padawan's Guide. Just look under the picnic dress section/fan made gowns. :)
  11. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Wonderful! Thanks Obi-Dawn!

They look fantastic kay_dee!
  12. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I think I'll try to attach them with some clips to the headband next time, I have a whole week to practise. ;)
  13. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Obi-Anne, I can't wait to see pics of your dress. I attached my snoods seperate from my headband. I used a lot of bobby pins and clips, the flexible clips that snap shut tight and completely flat like the top ones called flowered hair clips at this link but without the flowers on them, they are really good, it helps to have someone do them for you, my friend did an awesome job securing them for me and when my mom did them they felt like they were going to fall off. liann
  14. QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Knight

star 2
    Quick question about this Simplicity pattern I'm using for the corset of this costume. It has four pieces for the corset, and it says to cut two of each piece (labeled 6, 7, 8, and 9), which I understand. But what I don't understand is why the pattern itself has two piece 6 patterns, two piece 7 patterns, two piece 8 patterns and two piece 9 patterns on it. Does this mean I need to cut four of each piece, and if so, why? I'm sure this is really simply, I just can't figure it out though, lol. Thanks
  15. Naboo_Girl Jedi Knight

star 1
    QueenLaniAmidala?Check to see what sizes are on the pattern. Sometimes they put two sizes on a pattern and then make another of the exact same pattern but with larger sizes. Make sense?
  16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    That was my first thought too. Maybe they included two sets of each piece, each set having different sizes?
  17. QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yep, I told you it would be something stupid and easy like that...I realized that size 4 and 6 had one piece and 8 and 10 were another piece when I started cutting them...sorry about this guys, I'm such a ditz sometime.

In better news though, I'm almost done with this outfit (hopefully I'll be done by Wednesday, that's when my halloween party is, heh). I've got the corset done and the underdress almost finished, I still have to buy the little flowers for the skirt. Then it's just a matter of making the headband and convincing my mom that she CAN knit the hairpieces for me. ;)
  18. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    All by Wednesday? Yikes. Good luck QueenLani!

I'm also looking forward to seeing pics of all the latest versions of 'our dress'!

Regards,
    M.
  19. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Really, it took me about two months to really get it done. I finally finished mine btw. I will send a pic from my fan force halloween party this coming weekend.
  20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    QueenLani, I'm so glad it was a simple thing to figure out! :)
    We all eagerly await pics from you and Dajuan!
  21. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I feel pretty well prepared now actually. The corset is finished, except for the fact that the straps got a bit too long, but I wont change that for now, that has also meant that I haven't yet embroidered any roses on the straps. The cape is in a provisional stage, it has the right shape and instead of embroidering roses and vines I've sewn about 30 clusters of premade roses on it. The cape will probably be the last thing I alter before I'll find the costume complete. For skirt and blouse I will use my budget-version. I only need to do some more flowers on the headband.

Now the thing is that this costume isn't exactly warm, and we have gotten our first snow here! Where is a nice jedi with a warm robe when you need one?
  22. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Trade you Anne, mine makes me sweat like crazy, and it's still pretty warm here.
  23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Mine keeps me pretty toasty too. Then again, I was wearing it in hot and humid Atlanta.
    Hope you're able to stay warm Obi-Anne. :)
  24. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Well I have a picture of the finished dress on my website Dajuan
  25. Obi-Dead-Kenobi Jedi Padawan

DaJuan, you look fantabulous!
    You are now a part of the picnic dress wearing tribe. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.