main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Picnic Dress v2.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Way to go, Dajaun! You look lovely!

Regards,
    M.

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Thanks Everyone. Also thank you SO much for all the help along the way. Don't know what I would have done with out that first huge post telling everything and all the hints along the way.

Also, are these boards creeping anyone else out? Obi-Dawn's icon is down right scary.

3. Obi-Dead-Kenobi

Obi-Dead-Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2003
    Mine, scary? :p
    I think Mirax's is scarier!

I'm glad you mentioned that the first post in this thread helped you out because I've been thinking about updating it but wasn't sure if anyone was really referring to it or not.
    Also, I'd like to add on links to anybody who has pics of their dress on a site that is not already listed. Right now we have links to these picnic tribe member's sites:
    Koshka-the-Cat
    FERDALUMP
    miraxthorn
    Mrs_Mayimnaar
    Skalia
    Jedi Girl of Corellia
    Obi-Dawn

So, if anyone has thoughts on what could be updated or if they want a link to their costume pics added, please post them here. :)

And, DaJuan, any chance of some close-up shots of your lovely costume?

4. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Yeah! Your costume looks wonderful! Welcome to the cult...uh, I mean Club! LOL!

DawnandMirax Your icons are both scary! Eeeeekkk! I love Halloween! :)

~Ferd [face_devil]

5. oB-Anshee

oB-Anshee Jedi Master star 1

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm trying to update my page whenever I've done something on the dress it's here.

I must say I had a wonderful Saturday going around in my dress. It was fun when people wanted to take photos of me and the other costumers, not too many unfortunately. I also managed to keep my hair buns fastened without attaching them to the headband. I will write a more detailed report whenever I can get hold of some photos. :)

6. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah, I'll get some pics on Halloween of closer shots. I was too busy taking other's photos to really get any of me. My site is almost full now so I need to buy some more space to post all the pics. I'll let the group know when I have the photos up.

7. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Yes - looks great, Dajuan!

:)

I love the Sithcouncil look this year! :)

Maggie

8. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    I think we're definitely due for a new update or maybe even PPD v3.0. We've had a TON of new ideas and lots of info on dyeing fabric, creating the white flowers and butterfly clips and doing the hairstyle that is lost amongst the 48 pages of this thread. I'd be willing to help collate the data, so OBD doesn't have to do all that work herself.

Regards,
    M.

btw, Sorry about the super creepy icon. It's a joke for the rest of my FanForce club. We went to see the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre a couple weeks ago. Although I HATE scary movies, they talked me into going. Well, I wasn't feeling well and the movie was so intense that I actually passed out. I scared the group more than the movie did. Hopefully, they'll get a chuckle from it (and remember not to invite me to scary movies.) :)

9. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Looks great DaJuan!

10. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Here are some photos of me from the con, so far I haven't seen any really good pics though.

pic 1 this was quite late in the day so you can see that my hair wasn't looking at its best.

pic 2 me and the other Padme that went around the con, also a FFer.

pic 3 from the side. Three of the girls from FF Sweden had to be called in as handmaidens to help me with the ribbons...

pic 4 and they had very cold hands! (it was snow outside and we had just gotten inside). I think this is the best pic so far where you can see the details of the corset. Not much but it will have to do for now. :)

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Okay....Mirax, your passing out story is terrible! At least you were with a bunch of friends when it happened. And, now they really know not to take you to scary movies! eeps!
    I would love it if you wanted to go through the thread and collect info. Any help you can give would be wonderful!
    I also thought of a version 3.0 thread, but I'm interested in what everyone else thinks? Good, bad, necessary or not? All I know is that between us all we have a really good tutorial on this costume. :D

Obi-Anne! It looks beautiful beautiful! I'm drooling over your corset embroidery! Close-up pics from you are formally requested. :p

Well, another round of congrats to you and DaJuan on your wonderful dresses.

12. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Looks great Obi-Anne! The corset is very good!

13. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Dajuan and Obi-Anne your picnic costumes look lovely. Isn't it a great feeling to complete your costume and wear it to a party or event!

If people are looking to update links to picnic dress pages - I have 3 seperate pages I threw together last year. Some day I might get the engergy to finish a proper web site.

http://www.angelfire.com/art/kathys/kay_deepics.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/art/kathys/manaquin_pics.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/art/kathys/imax_aotc.htm

-kay dee

14. oB-Anshee

oB-Anshee Jedi Master star 1

Aug 19, 2003
    Kay de, it's a long time until mine is finished, but yes it was great to have a recognisable costume to wear. I will have to take a break from this dress now until after Christmas, and then I start with the serios blouse and skirt. I might have some time to finishe up the cape or the headband, but I doubt it.

15. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Little tip for anyone using the Simplicity pattern for this dress, you will need to change the sleves a bit. Mine are really big and don't tie well with the ribbons. Probably best to not make them so billowly at the bottom.

16. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Great job on your dresses Dajuan and Obi-Anne. I have yet to make any progress on my corset embroidery, I just had a whole week off and planned to get a lot of work done it, but something came up and I didn't have a chance to work on it at all. The fabric is so shiny i can't see the pattern to work on it at night so its hard to get any work done on it with it getting dark so early now.

3.0 version of the thread sounds like a good idea, just to get all the new ideas in one place.

liann

17. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Jedi Dajuan and Obi-Anne, your dresses look wonderful! Congratulations on joining the club :)

Dajuan, Very cute kitties too. And I love Chase's mohawk :)

See, I don't for a little bit and all of a sudden new dresses to admire :)

Katherine

18. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    More headband ribbon found!

Yesterday I went to a ribbon store in San Francisco called The Ribbonerie and discovered that they had some of the green headband ribbon in stock! It's the same exact style that was sold at Britex and used for the movie costume. The only difference is minor - the color is just slightly darker than the ribbon from Britex but it is still what I call a mossy green as opposed to a dark Christmas green (yellow green as opposed to a blue green). I should have gotten a 1/4 yard to scan in - but it was really so close in color to the stuff from Britex I didn't think it was necessary.

The good news is that they take orders online and the trim is $3.95 a yard. I think this is the ribbon featured on the web site (the first color). For some reason the price and the style number online is different than what it was in the store - so to be sure I'd send an email with the information I took off of the roll in the store and I'd even email them the jpg I have up here (picture of the trim).

Here is the information you'd need to order the ribbon:

Web Site: http://theribbonerie.com/infopages/contact.html

E-mail: info@theribbonerie.com

Phone: (415) 626-6184

Ribbon = Vintage ribbon
    Style # on the roll = 40741
    Color 5 (yellow-green)
    Price in Store = $3.95/yard

I hope some future (or maybe current) picnic costumers will enjoy being able to make a movie accurate headband :)

-Kay Dee

P.S. In looking at their web site they state there is a $20.00 minimum on orders - but I really think if you call or e-mail them they will work with you. It's a small mom 'n' pop type of store and the staff is very friendly.

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    And once again, kay_dee, you've come through with the picnic goods! That's a terrific discovery! :D

20. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    That's a great find! Personally I've found flowershaped sequins today. I'm sorting out a full bag of sequins for another project, and in there I've found some very nice flowers. They are white, a bit too big but a very nice shape. Only bad thing is that I've only found two in the whole bag. I've taken a photo of them.

21. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    thank you thank you thank you Kay-dee, I am definately going to order some. or get some relatives to pick some up. I'm going there next summer but I'm not sure if I want to wait till then. Liann

22. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    liannb I would not wait until next summer. They had probably under 10 yards left and said they weren't sure if they could ever get that trim again.

I hope you are able to get it by email or have some friends/relatives pick it up for you :)

-Kay Dee

23. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Hey kay dee, there's a ribbon on there that looks silvery. Do you happen to remember seeing that in the store? I'd certainly be interested in getting the silver version of that ribbon for my planned blue/silver picnic dress.

I guess you need about 1.5 yd of ribbon for the headband?

Caitlin

24. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Jaina When I was in the store the only 3 colors I happened to see left were the light green, dark green, and the fusha color. Maybe the silvery one is orderable though? (or maybe I just didn't notice it) Which specific number where you looking at? I see one that looks dark gray on the photo - #10 and #11 looks blue.

It sounds like Maggie hit a bit of a road block though - they are really holding to the 20 dollar minimum. I was thinking if there was a show of hands on who would like ribbon I could just head down there and purchase it (it would be the in store price of 3.95) and people could pay me back for what they need.

Yes - I did happen to get about 1.5 yards for mine... maybe even 1 and 2/3 to be safe (I had some left over though). Just measure around your head loosly and multiply by 2 - then add a few inches to ba safe :)

-Kay Dee

25. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    I emailed the store overnight but I used my work e-mail so I won't be able to check it till later when i go to work. I don't mind ordering the minumum and selling the extra to anyone who wants some or if enough people want the ribbon and kaydee doesn't mind going and getting it, whatever is easiest. liann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.