Padme Amidala Padme's Picnic Dress v2.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin
  1. MiraxTHorn Jedi Master

star 4
    *M. raises hand* :) kay-dee - I would be interested in buying some of the ribbon if you do go ahead and buy the rest. That's really sweet of you to offer to do that!

Regards,
    M.
  2. kay_dee Jedi Master

star 4
    Re: Headband trim

I will be going to the Ribbonerie in the morning (Thursday) to pick up some of the ribbon. So far it looks like Liaanb and Mirax are the two who need some? (Plus other's that have emailed me ;) )

If anyone else is interesed in the trim just post a heads up to me on this list and I'll check it before I leave.

-Kay Dee
  3. kay_dee Jedi Master

star 4
    Headband trim update

I happened to purchase the entire roll of green head band trim from the Ribbonerie. After taking all the current requests into account I still have a few yards left. So, if anyone else is interested in some trim just send me a PM :)

I did ask them if they could order more of that ribbon and the woman helping me double checked. The supplier in France doesn't have it anymore, so they won't be restocking it.

Also, the ribbons shown on the web site that were about 99 cents a yard are actually very narrow ribbons! Not usable for headband trim at all. So they don't have any blue, or silver, or purple headband trim.

-Kay Dee

P.S. I know we are not supposed to use these boards to 'sell' things - but I honestly am not making a profit.
  4. Obi Anne FF manager Celebrations

Manager
    star 7
    I've found some perfect jewelly to match this dress, since I will be wearing it to a ball this spring. It's a gold/bronze necklace with a large white butterfly and flowers that match the small white flowers on the skirt and blouse perfectly, and then a pair of earrings with the same flowers. :D

Unfortunately I can't show them to you, my aunt will give me the earrings for my b-day in February, and she also paid for the necklace, and I said that I don't want it until I have paid her back. Necklace was around 60$ and the earrings around 25$.
  5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Obi Anne, your jewelry sounds lovely. :)

I was at Bed, Bath & Beyond the other day and I came across the set of bathroom accessories based on the antique rose pattern. I was so tempted to re-do a bathroom in it... :p
  6. _Madeleine_ Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Your gown looks great Obi Anne!!! :D

Oh, I wish I could have been at the con myself, but of course I was sick. Just like last year!! argghh!! :(
  7. liannb Jedi Knight

star 5
    I haven't gotten very far with my embriodery, I've been having trouble with my pattern, I traced it onto the corset with tracing paper but the patten keeps rubbing off, its hard too see, impossible in artificial light. So I decided to cut out the entire pattern I trace it on in pencil which is how I did it the first time because the pencil is so much easier to see, even though pencil is bad and should not be used. So I traced the top half of the pattern made sure it was centre etc, I did half of the bottom and I went to do the other half only to realize the pattern was pinned on crooked, aagh. And as everyone knows pencil does not come off very easily. Thankfully I found a fabric eraser and was able to remove a majority of the pencil markings, the rest is just slightly visible which hopefully the embroidery will cover up. I've bought a silver quilters pencil to retrace the rest of the pattern on, hopefully it will work ok. So that is why I haven't done much, I bought the eraser a couple of weeks ago bought only got a chance to do it today.
    I probably won't do anymore work till january, I'm working on a baby quilt which needs to be done by the end of the month.
    I haven't decide what colour to do the roses yet, the colour before I died the cape fabric or the after colour, I'm really tempted to look for the cape fabric at the store in london. I'm hoping to go their next year. I have a friend living their, I've been thinking of asking her to go down and take a look to see if they have any.
    Good new is I've got a sewing machine for
    Christmas YEAH. Nothing too fancy but I can finally return my friends moms sewing machine which I've had for a year and a half since I started this costume.

Sorry for the long post. Liann
  8. kay_dee Jedi Master

star 4
    Liannb - I'm happy to hear you got your own sewing machine for Christmas! That will be fun :)

As for the markings rubbing off for your embroidery pattern - I had that problem with my purple Senate Dress. The solution for me was to cover my fabric (after the pattern was traced on) with a sheet of the clear solvy stabilizer. That way it protected the fabric and markings - I just cut away a little solvy at a time as I was ready to work on a section.

However, on my picnic corset I never traced on the fabric itself. For that I traced the pattern onto the solvy with an ink pen, then placed my solvy with the pattern on my corset. I had to pin it on very carefully to make sure it stayed centered as I worked on it. I know it's too late for yours, but I highly recomend that technique.

-Kay Dee
  9. liannb Jedi Knight

star 5
    Thanks a lot Kay Dee I might try that for the bottom half.

I can't wait to get my headband done, I never realised from the photos that the edging already had the gold on it.

Liann
  10. kay_dee Jedi Master

star 4
    Yup - the thin gold is part of the headband ribbon :) I just overlapped the gold part in the middle so I'd have one visible strip of gold rather than two when I joined my two strips together. I also used Sulky metallic gold thread to sew the strips together by hand in the center so the stitching wouldn't show.

-Kay Dee
  11. kay_dee Jedi Master

star 4
    Picnic Thread Version 3.0 is underway!

This wonderful Picnic thread 2.0 has grown to nearly 50 pages, so Obi-Dawn suggested it was time to get a Version 3.0 started. :) I have begun the task of combing through all the pages of this thread to consolidate all of the helpful tips on construction, fabrics, dye, patterns - etc. (So far I've gotten through the first 21 pages)

It looks like Version 3.0 will be online some time in January. If anyone has any helpful tips or links to picnic costumes they'd like to include in the first sumary post of version 3.0 please go ahead and post them in this thread.

Thanks!

-Kay Dee

12. Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    We linking our own as well? That'd be a neat catagory on there, our versions. My pic is at [link=http://www.freewebs.com/jedidajuan/]Dajuan's[/link]
  13. kay_dee Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the link to your picnic dress Dajuan :) That's one of the categories we'll have for the summary page - fan versions of the picnic costume. So, even if someone doesn't have a 'picnic web site' - even a link to a photo of individual picnic costumes is good.

-Kay Dee
  14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Thanks for undertaking this project, kay_dee!

I remember MiraxTHorn mentioned on page 48 that she might go through this thread to collect data too, so maybe she can pm or post anything she deems relevant to you. :)

I can't believe this thread is double the size of the first one! And back then we thought 25 pages was too many, so we made 2.0! LOL!

It's also impressive how much more info everyone has collected since this thread was posted. The summary of 3.0 will be invaluable to anyone starting out on this costume. Or, in the case of many of us, the undertaking of a second version! [face_mischief]

15. kay_dee Jedi Master

star 4
    Obi-Dawn Wrote:

I remember MiraxTHorn mentioned on page 48 that she might go through this thread to collect data too, so maybe she can pm or post anything she deems relevant to you.

Oh gosh, I don't mean to step on Mirax's toes at all. I could sure use help collecting and organizing the data! I have now gotten through page 29 of the thread and have about 16 pages of notes (in Microsoft word - it wouldn't be 16 new pages in the 3.0 thread) - Granted I still have to organize it and edit it down a bit. There are so many ways to go about doing something as small as the white flowers! (Beads, cut flower trim, cut sequins, punch butterflies or flowers from Shimmer Sheetz).

OK - time for bed now

-Kay Dee

16. MiraxTHorn Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, no problem at all, Kay-Dee! I do want to help, but I've not had time to start going back through it. If your eyes start going crossed, let me know and I'll take over the data collection. Otherwise, just let me know how I can help!

Regards,
    M.
  17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Wow! :D
    I was just flipping through my copy of the latest Insider magazine and found that on page 6 (of the Bantha Tracks section) there is a delightful picture of MiraxTHorn in her picnic dress! Everyone here should try to see it! (Alas, I have no scanner....)

You look smashing, Carrie! It's a great picture! ;)
  18. kay_dee Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh! I saw the photo in my magazine yesterday too and wondered who that was! Congratulations on having your photo published Mirax :) Any chance you can post a larger version of it?

By the way, the Picinic thread consolidation is still underway. I figured I could organize and post it, and then everyone can look it over for accuracy and or omissions.

Hopefully if we have to change a few things once it's posted it won't be too difficult to have Obi-Dawn make the edits now that she is a moderator :) How's that sound?

-Kay Dee
  19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
  20. Petite_Padme Jedi Youngling

I just found a great place to buy cape flower appliques. The price is incredible!

[link=http://www.cheeptrims.com/store/item.asp?Category=89&SubCategoryID=177&GroupID=&SKU=AP%2D240150%2DCOH]Three-cluster flowers[/link]

BTW, I did finish my costume enough to wear it to a masquerade ball in October 2003. I didn't have time to attach the shoulder straps or embroider the last two flames on the corset, but it still looked great. I know you all would love to see pictures, but my brother said he won't post my site on the web for me until I am "all finished" editing it. *Sigh*. Is there an EASY way to just post the pictures, like attaching a file to a post? Or maybe I should just e-mail the pics to Obi-Dawn so that she could post them for me?
  21. kay_dee Jedi Master

star 4
    Petite Padme - well posting pictures can't be done by attaching them to a post.

You have to upload them to a web site for people to see. I think the easiest thing to do is set up something like a Yahoo Photo album, follow their instructions for uploading photos, then give us your URL when you are done :) It will come in handy any time you want to share photos with a large group of people.

http://photos.yahoo.com/

-kay dee
  22. Obi Anne FF manager Celebrations

Manager
    star 7
    I've finally gotten the film with my pictures of the corset developed, but not scanned. I will hunt after a scanner this week so that I can get them up. I really want to finish this dress now. I'm hoping to be able to have a schedule so that I'm finished with either the caper or the skirt for the end of february, and to have it all done by beginning of April, and Jedi-Con in Germany.
  23. MiraxTHorn Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi Guys,

I just got home from Christmas vacation to find myself in the Insider! Quite a pleasant surprise!! Thanks for the lovely compliments! Unfortunately, they got my FanForce affiliation wrong, but no big. I'll have to send in a correction. :)

Here's a link to a similar shot taken at the same time: [link=http://www.gotarmor.net/padme_anakin_sm.jpg]Click here[/link]. A friend from Cleveland took the one in the Insider so I don't have the exact shot.

The gentleman in the pic is a dear friend from R2-Detroit. We have another picture of us recreating the Vanity Fair Cover which is quite hilarious. I'll have to get a copy of that to show you all, too.

Regards,
    M.
  24. FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Mirax The Pic (and you [face_blush] ) Look Great! How lucky!

Hee Hee Hee--Posing like the Vanity Fair Picture :) I did the same thing with a Padme Picnic Barbie I made, with my little cousin's 12" Anakin doll [face_love]. Great minds think alike! I'd love to see your picture in that pose.

Oh, and I've finally done it. I have jumped over into full out Picnic obsession. I re-did the decor in my boudoir (LOL) this past week and actually implemented the famous "Padme curtains" into my decor. Now I have yards and yards of glorious 3 flower embroidered clusters all over my windows. Yeep! And to keep with the over the top "romantic" theme (and to further make my husband submit to a "girly" room) I have framed my favorite pictures from my favorite romantic movies to put on the walls and around. I have included the famous Vanity Fair picture, since it's what started it all in the first place.

I'll post pictures as soon as I snap some :)

~Ferd
  25. MiraxTHorn Jedi Master

star 4
    Ferd - Your bedroom sounds lovely! I think the pictures are a terrific idea! Nothing like creating a mood, right? :)

Hmm, now you've got me thinking. There were also blue curtains with the same pattern. I wouldn't use pink, but blue would be EASY to work into a room. :) Thanks for the inspiration!

Regards,
    M.
Moderators: Briannakin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.