main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Picnic Dress v2.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Truthfully, I say go without the cape. On the original it looks great, but in wearing it in reality, it just gets in the way. I think for a wedding dress it will be beautiful (and you're giving ME ideas when my day comes lol, albeit a while from now). I think the cape will just look silly in wedding pictures, it will take away from the rest of the dress. But this is just my opinion.

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    MIRAX!
    Congratulations! :D I am really happy for you!
    (I didn't, by chance, get to meet the lucky guy at D*Con, did I?)

Wow, to include the shawl or not to include the shawl. Hmmmm....I tend to think that, although it's sooo very pretty, it might 'get in the way' when linking arms with your groom. I guess my concern is how symmetrical you would look in pictures with only half of the shawl really being visible when your arms are linked together. It could just be a really nitpicky thing to worry about though.

Maybe you could reinvent the shawl into a veil? Have it trailing down the back of your head and back instead of around your shoulders?

The ideas are limitless really, and I guess it just comes down to what you think looks best. I say stage a wedding pic with someone while wearing a shawl and see how you think it looks.

For me, wearing the shawl doesn't get in the way, but I could see how it might in a wedding.

"I love weddings! Drinks all around!" ;)

liann...that organza is calling to me...it's saying, "Daaaaawn...buy me! Buy me!" :eek:

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Oh, I think a shawl would be really nice, of course depending on the rest of the dress. I think it drapes quite beautifully when you wear it and is holding someone. I've never felt that it got in the way in any circumstances. Wearing a shawl would also make it quite a unique wedding gown.

4. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Congratulations Mirax! I think a dress with some picnic elements sounds beautiful. Perhaps the idea of converting the cape into a veil would work well? I mean, it would be a little over-kill to have a cape and veil - but it's all up to you. I think if you really want to keep it the same as the picnic dress a cape will be fine, there are not that many photos you would take arm in arm.

-Kay Dee

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow...can you gals just imagine how pretty a wedding could get with picnic dress colored roses and white flowers....*swoon* [face_love]

6. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Thank you all for the kind wishes!!

Yes, Dawn, I'm getting my very own Jack Sparrow / Wedge / Stormtrooper!
    (LOVED your quote!)

I forgot to say that I'm not thinking about the pink roses tablecloth for the shawl. If I do it, I think I'd go for yellow or pale pink roses on organza, or possibly white roses (I think I've seen that somewhere). I will have to play around with it a bit more. I've not bought any of the 'good' fabric yet because I want to get the muslin just right first. :)

I'll let you all in on the basic design if you're interested, but not on the boards. He reads them and so do some other wedding guests. A girl's got to have some secrets. :)

Regards,
    M.

7. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Congratulations Mirax, you could make the cape detachable and wear it for part of the wedding and then take it off for photos or when it might get in the way. liann

8. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, after creating 51 pages of new Picnic Gown information it's time for a consolidated version 3.0 of this thread :) Our ongoing discussion of this beautiful costume can take place here:

Padme's Gold Picnic Dress v3.0

Thanks again to everyone for their contributions to the bboard! The knowledge that has been shared here has inspired many and been invaluable.

-Kay Dee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.