Padme Amidala Padme's Picnic Dress v2.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Answers to cape questions:

I used a soft, lightweight nylon netting to make the cape. A sales person at Britex called it a one way stretch - as it has some stretch to it. It's commonly used to make lingerie. I found this fabric at a discount outlet and it had the exact embroidery already on it! The only problem was that it came in white, so I had to dye it - something I'd never done before.

I've added a photo up to my page showing the dimensions of the cape if it will help.

Kay Dee's Cape

http://www.angelfire.com/art/kathys/cape.htm

Thanks again to everyone on this message thread for all of the wonderful tips and advise. If it weren't for all of you I don't think this cape would have come together as nicely as it did.

Well, today it's back to struggling with my blouse. I really wish I had just shelled out the extra cash for silk underlining now. My blouse is just too heavy with this polyester stuff :( I also messed up on the sizing of my neck piping/trim. I had to tear apart 2 nights worth of work and now I get to start all over again. *shrug*

Obi-Dawn, your dress is for sale? I went to e-bay and didn't see it there. Gosh, I can't believe you'd want to part with it. It's so beautiful! And I know you put so much work into it.

Talk to you all later,

Kay Dee
  2. Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Knight

star 1
    Kay Dee,

Don't feel too bad about messing up the blouse. My first attempt is still in a bag in my closet. It was a disaster. I was able to save the sleeves, but the rest of it? :)

I did learn that (except for the sleeves) I didn't want to line the chiffon. Also silk chiffon (I bought mine from Dharma Trading and dyed it) is extremely tough. I ripped so many stitches out trying new things that the fabric should have been in shreds, but it was fine.

I ended up buying a new pattern the next day, one of the Simplicity Renaissance patterns, which had a full neck. Much better than the smooth neck pattern I had been using.

You'll get it!

Katherine
  3. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    Have you seen this blouse (the black one in the middle, J2953)? With some wider arms I think it would be a nice blouse for the dress.

[image=http://www.neuemodestil.de/bilder/bilder2/mini08.jpg]
  4. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Obi-Anne - that black blouse looks nice, but I've really been studying the photos of the *real* blouse and I don't think that black blouse is quite full enough in the body or the sleeves.

Like Katherine, I think the renaissance patterns are closer to the blouse used on the costume. I used a butterick renaissance pattern - I think after my little trial and error I will get the neck right. It just won't lay quite the same because the underlayer is too heavy *shrug*. Thank God my polyester chiffon is tough and stands up to seam ripping! I'd cut out new fabric, but I already spent 2 weeks embroidering my pieces - so I'm just going to have to live with what I've cut.

-Kay Dee
  5. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    Obi-Dawn's dress is for sale on The Padawan's Guide. It's so cool, because she's set up a page for selling and advertising costumes now! What an awesome idea! [face_clown]

by the way, Kay-Dee your cape is beautiful!

Obi-Anne I actually like that blouse a lot! But I do agree that the sleeves would have to be made wider, and you would have to eliminate the key-hole and tie(bow) from the neckline.
  6. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks Mrs Mayim - now I see where Obi-Dawn's dress is for sale! What a great idea, adding the sales page to the Padawan's Guide :)

Ferd! Your Lake costume is Beautiful! Great Job, I'm jealous :) That was my favorite costume, but I had to bail out on attempting to make that one. Maybe next year?

-Kay Dee
  7. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Kay-Dee Thanks for the kind words [face_blush] Ditto to you on your cape :)

I agree with Koshka about the top, you'll get it, suddenly it will "click"-just keep working on it. We're all rooting for you!
    Obi-Dawn you're just too photogenic! :D I think your dress is lovely--but if you're anything like me- you want anything that you don't consider perfect out of your sewing room ASAP. Not that your dress is substandard, you just want the best for yourself. Heck, some lucky lady will make out like a bandit getting their hands on your gown and will be over the moon when they wear it.

Ferd :)
  8. Astra-Khan Jedi Padawan

I'm just jealous of everybody's beautiful work!!!

*sniff, sniff*

I admire you all for spending so much effort, time, and patience on this project. I just hope to get STARTED soon!

Thank you for all the wonderful tips and everything.

-Khan
  9. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've finally finished my corset embroidery. YEAH. I'm just going to sew it together now. I didn't do the swirly designs though or the gold squares. liannb

I have a slight problem. I sewed the boning into the lining and now the lining does not match up with the top layer of the corset, It is smaller.
  10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hi everyone! :D I'm on vacation at the moment and my internet acess has been very sporadic at best! But I just wanted to pop in and say that kay_dee's cape is gorgeous! It looks perfect! You did such a wonderful job. *jealous* :p

FERD, you're too nice! [face_blush]
  11. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Is anyone still interested in the Britex Headband Trim? I'll be going to San Francisco on Friday. If someone here is SERIOUSLY interested I could leave a photo of the trim with a sales person and get their name so you can contact them and order it. That's if they have gotten more of it in.

Just let me know if any of you need me to do that for you :)

Obi-Dawn it's good to hear from you, I hope you are having a good vacation!

-Kay Dee
  12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hi kay_dee :)

Just an update on the Britex trim: I was there yesterday and there was none to be had. The person who helped me didn't seem to have any info on whether or not anymore would be available. Maybe kay_dee will have better luck than I did getting the skinny on it's future availability. :)

I did get a chance to visit Lacis in Berkeley on Monday for some coutil. I forgot what a fun place it is in there!
  13. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Obi-Dawn, thanks for letting me know you were just at Britex. The last time I was there the sales woman told me the odds of restocking the same trim was close to zero. I guess I won't waste my time going there while I'm in S.F. tomorrow.

It sounds like you are having a good time in your old stomping grounds Obi-Dawn :)

-Kay Dee

14. Renaissance_Woman Jedi Knight

Grrrrr!!!!

I up and decided to cut out my skirt last night (very late, couldn't sleep). This morning I went to put it together and realized that, in my groggy state, I'd picked up the wrong pattern piece!!! It's a totally different style of skirt, and not at all what I'd intended. I think (hope) I can salvage it if I order more fabric from Dharma and make a new top layer with the correct pattern. But..ugh....why did I have to go do something silly like that. Ah well, at least I didn't try to cut out the blouse as well, that might have been truly ugly. Thanks for letting me vent. Back to grumbling. ;)
  15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    ACK! Ren_Woman! I hope you can salvage it! Groggy sewing is always tricky. ;)

liann, I'm so glad to hear you finished your corset embroidery! I wanna see it! Any luck in fixing the boning/length deal? I'm sure you'll get it right.

kay_dee, yes, it's great to be back in California for a while. I was disappointed that there was no more headband trim. I really wanted to pick some up for Mirax and whoever else who might of wanted some. I'm sure at some point, someone will find something comparable somewhere....

:)
  16. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    Obi-Dawn - Thank you for checking for the headband ribbon, anyway! Hope your vacation is very relaxing!

Regards,
    M.
  17. darth_avery Jedi Master

star 3
    i'm feeling kinda intimitaded. u all seem like pros:

um...i'm making a this dress with my mom but i wanted to know the yardage on the blouse, cape, skirt, ribbons for sleeves and corstet.

can you help me out?

-avery
  18. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, if you read through the very first post of this thread, there are a ton of patterns suggested for various parts. Pick a few, and they'll tell you the yardage on the back of the pattern envelope.

The cape, just from looking at what everyone else has done, will be proportionate to your size. So what Kay_dee used might be more or less fabric than you'll need to use.

Edit: The ribbons are going to be proportionate to your size (and your taste), as well.
  19. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think I use about 12 yards to re-create this dress (not counting lining and underlining) The original dress took 50 yards!! It is also going to depend on the width of your fabric. For the ribbons I use about 7 yards of each color (1 1/2 yards for both places on each arm, and then a piece for the hair) For the wrap I cut mine triangular. I measured around with the arms down just above the bust (about 4" down the sternum) Then I measure from that point on the back down to where I wanted the tip of the wrap point to be (mid thighish) Then I figured how I would have to cut this shape to accomodate these measurements without a seam. I had to go with 1 1/2 yards.
    Also, the original skirt is several layers, so a lot of yardage goes there--if you want it semi-accurate.
    Hope that helps! :)
    P.S. Obi-Dawn "Have fun stormin' the castle" [face_laugh] I mean have a good time in "sunny" california :cool:
  20. Catatonic-Van Jedi Padawan

::cries:: I too.. found there was no ribbon left. The saleswoman managed to find me the same ribbon with the middle section in black, hunter green, and blue, but no gold was left. ::sighs:: Oh well, I will just find something to suffice.

I was quite amazed by Britex fabrics though, for 1) the amazing selection and 2) the psychotic pricing. What was surprising to me was that some of the fabric in the store, we carry at Joanns. I found some pleather for 14.99 at britex, but we have the same at my store for 3.88 in clearance. If a Joanns were to open in the heart of the city, Britex would be out of business soooo fast. OOOH well I had fun in SF anyway, I hope I can go back soon..

::mutters about the 100 bucks fee for a special order for a yard and third of ribbon::

-Van
  21. chibiangi Force Ghost

star 4
    ::mutters about the 100 bucks fee for a special order for a yard and third of ribbon::

OMG please tell me you aren't paying that much for four feet of ribbon!
  22. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Not to make excuses for their high prices-but I know just in my experience working at a high end fabric store--Ribbon is a slow selling item. It may come in a 10-20 yard spool- and may sit there for years and sell only a yard or two. If it is a slow selling ribbon they may be reluctant to re-order it to sit there another couple of years. Or it may be out of season, and they need to make room for new stock. Anyways-they can't special order 1 1/2 yards from the company--they have to order a WHOLE new roll (and sometimes companies have minimal orders -meaning they may have to spend $500 with that company to warrant placing an order---It's not fair that you would have to pay that much money to order some ribbon--but I'm just trying to see why that might be their policy.
    Has anyone tried to get the info off of the other color's spools? You could possibly order it from another source-or go direct.
    **please forgive my spelling-I'm on a bad monitor** ;) Ferd
  23. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I fixed the corset, We (my mom and I) patched it together with some scraps in the places where it needed extra fabric and it looks awesome you woulndn't even know it was patched up, I was worried it was going to look a mess, my mom is just sewing the hook and eyes on. I'm wearing it next weekend for my renaissance festival. I have to use the first week of my holidays to finish it up. I just have to finish sewing on the little flowers, put the roses on the cape and do my headband. I'll post some pictures in a couple of weeks. liannb
  24. ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl Force Ghost

star 4
    When will the pictures be posted?!>!
  25. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    In two weeks when I'm back from holidays.
    liannb
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.