main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Picnic Dress v2.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    You know, I've done it with and without hoops. I know I probably should be using one, but I actually find it easier working without one. There's so much embroidery on this piece that pretty soon you can't use the hoop without having it smash into finished embroidered parts and I'm way too paranoid to do that. It's probably fine, but I'm a embroidery novice and don't want anything touching finished spots for fear of ruining them! [face_laugh]

2. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi Ladies,

I'm still lurking, but like you, haven't had much time for this project since school started back up. I'm also making a Luke ROTJ costume for a friend, so that's moved into first priority. But, I'm anxious to get back to this!

Dawn - where did you find your sequins?? I looked at what they sell at Michaels or JoAnns, but they aren't flat or large enough to fit in my punch. I've tried just about every other medium I can think of to punch, but nothing's working really well.

Regards,
    M.

3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hi Mirax! How is school so far?
    Your weather forecast is warm, warm, warm. ;)

The sequins I bought are just regular ones. They aren't flat but do fit into my punch. Hence, I think my punch is on the smallish side. I'm not completely sold on using these, but wanted to experiment on something. Were you ever able to find some white mylar? I think I remember someone recommending it and that it might be found in scrapbook supply areas of craft stores.
    I just can't locate a pre-made four petal flower anything for the life of me....maybe around St. Patrick's day we can find some four leaf clover sequins and paint them white. [face_mischief]

4. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I remember suggesting Mylar for making your sequins. I know we have a lot of specialty stationary shoppes and such down here, and I have seen irredescent white before. Next time I stop in there I'll check for it. The stuff is a great weight and I feel it would punch out well.

Do you think the sequins kinda of resemble an "X" with more rounded edges? I know you can find "X" and "O" confetti and maybe you modify those.
    Hey speaking of Weather...We have a tropical storm/hurricane heading right for us! Of course all we usually get is power outages-just great for electric sewing machines and sergers!
    Ferd :)

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I *thought* it was you, FERD, you told us about the mylar. :) I haven't even looked for it yet, but I will the next time I'm at an appropriate shop.

Tropical storm? I hope your power doesn't go out and that you don't blow away!
    I remember being in Florida one summer and there was a particularly strong storm raging outside and this bolt of lightning came out of nowhere and hit the palm tree right outside my window. Now, that's excitement....

6. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Does anyone have ideas what to use for the flower sequins on a dress for a smaller doll? Just iridized white seed beads, or beads in a 4-point flower pattern...? Little four-point flower seqins for a 1:6 scale would be impossibly tiny!

Help!

Kate

7. Catatonic-Van

Catatonic-Van Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2002
    I was reading up on your posts about the white flowers. If anyone has read up on my dress, you'll know I did the designs with a combination of oil paint, linseed oil, and turpentine. So when I did the skirt I laid out 10 yards of newspaper on my drive way on a breezeless day and laid out my 9 yards of chiffon.. then using a stamp I carved out of linoleum, I stamped the little white flower designs onto my dress. It took about an hour and a half, and looked good enough to my standards that I have no plans to redo the dress..

-Van

8. skywalker325

skywalker325 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Catatonic-Van,

could you please (re)post any links or pictures to the dress you made? I'm dying to see the results of your stamping party...

-Wendy

9. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Those pesky little white flowers! ;) This is the big question I'd like to ask Tricia - where can we buy the real thing??

For my first dress, I hand sewed 4 oblong beads into an x shape. It looks really nice, but it makes the skirt way too heavy, imo. For Dress #2, I've been experimenting with a clover punch, but have yet to find the perfect medium, as I mentioned earlier.

I've tried a thin clear plastic (which I would paint irridescent white), but the punch won't go through it. I had hoped to find some white bangles (flat sequins) to try, but I'm not having any sucess locating them. I've also considered using 1/8" white ribbon and making x's with it, but I'm not in love with that look either.

If anyone does come across the right color of mylar, please let us know! I think that might be the best solution for the punch idea. My only concern is will it be washable?

Thanks for the weather forecast, Dawn! ;)

Regards,
    M.

10. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    If you weren't married to the actual sequin application thing, you could try painting them.
    I know they sell glittery white fabric paint (fine glitter,), pearlescent white, and also I believe there's an iridescent acrylic paint out there, that would work as well with some fabric medium added.

Just my thoughts, though the sequins would be nice. I wonder if they even sell the right kind?

Kate

11. Catatonic-Van

Jul 23, 2002
    ::covered in saw dust and dried molding compound...blinks the dust out of her eyes. Been working on a prop for the last few hours...::

OH! the direct link to my dress is http://www.geocities.com/catatonic_van/costumes/padme.html

Enjoy ^_^

-Van

12. Renaissance_Woman

Renaissance_Woman Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    Dharma sells iridecent fabric paint (fairly thick stuff), for those of you non-sequin folk. :)

13. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Catatonic:

You're one of those Star Wars people at AX!!! Ok, so I have one question, how come you guys chose AX? Your costume is way kawaii!

14. KEDA

KEDA Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2002
    ok
    I am making this dress starting nextweek in school(fashon class) and i found the patern or the dress it is the dress sim 5843 i belive it is, it just came out and i need pointers, i've tryed to read the tread but i dont have much time. i mostly need fabric patterns and stuff can you help
    PM me please

15. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Hi there! I haven't posted in a while because I stated school a couple of weeks ago and my costume progress has slowed down. (I'm actually freaking out because I may not get all of this embroidery done) I had just about finished my blouse when I decided I messed up on the lower part of my sleeves. So, I shelved the blouse and if time permits I will fix it at the end. If not, I'll just hem it as is.

Anyhow, I've started to build my corset and I have a question for all of the corset experts out there :) My corset pattern calls for the boning to only be in the top half of the corset! (waist line up to the top of the bust) I thought that seemed a little odd, and was thinking about running the boning from top to bottom. Have any of you used boning in your corsets? Did you run it the entire length of the corset? Or should I skip the boning all together?

Obi-Dawn did you say you spent 40 hours embroidering your corset? Do you find you are spending more or less time on it your second time around? I'm just trying to get an idea of how to budget my time - Halloween is only 7 weeks away :(

Oh, KEDA you should read the first page of this thread. I think most of the tips you need are there. Otherwise, follow the guidelines on your pattern for yardage - etc.

-Kay Dee

16. Catatonic-Van

Jul 23, 2002
    aww thanks ^^ I'm not officially part of the Southern California Garrison, I'm actually part of the Star Garrison, but they adopted me at AX this year because we're all part of the 501st. They chose AX because it's so close by, and the only other big con that side of states is San Diego Comic Con. I go to AX because I'm a huge anime fan lol. If you look around my site, most of my costumes are anime. Though I am a big star wars freak too thats why I brought Amidala to AX. It was big hit apparently, I even ran into an Anakin there! ^_^

17. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Kay Dee

Definitely bone the corset! It's so important. It really makes the corset mold to your body and not roll at the waist, etc. The bones also help the corset stay up and support you in any place that needs support. You shouldn't need any underwear besides the corset, it's way more powerful than a bra :)

I'm not familiar with any corset patterns with boning that starts at the waist. That doesn't sound very comfortable, actually, since the bones seem like they would dig in. You're altering a dress with a corset type bodice, right? I haven't made anything like that or looked at a pattern, so I'm not much help with specifics there, but every corset corset pattern I've seen has boning from top to bottom...

Katherine

18. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    In regards to boning running half way down--I have seen this is fitted corset look tops-bit not actual Corsets. If you use a lt. weight boning like nylobone it will contort to your bust and once lined you won't feel the cut off. However, if you're going for an actual CORSET that is very fitted and accurate-you really should use a stronger boning and run it all the way up and down the top.

Keda Read Page #1 Obi-Dawn spent a lot of time putting all the info there for newbies and as a reference guide. :) FERD

19. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
  20. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks Ferd andKatherine. I have decided to use the boning because I think it will help keep the front of the corset flat - it really wants to wrinkle up without it. I think I'm having trouble because my pattern was not a true corset (more of a dress bodice) and is not meant to support the way a REAL corset does! I've altered it the best I can, and I think I will run the boning along the entire length.

Now I see why some of you are making this dress a second time! There are so many things I'd do differently for better results a second time around. For the corset I'd use a *real* corset pattern!

Thanks for your feedback, it helps to get some experience opinions :)

-kay dee

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hi kay_dee :)
    Yes, I agree with everyone that you should use the boning all the way down the length of the corset. And, yes...it did take me at least 40 hours to embroider my first one. My second one is actually taking longer because I'm embroidering the roses (thanks to your excellent tutorial!) and adding all the gold swirlies. I'm also just really slow. LOL!

I look forward to seeing your finished dress. I know it's going to be gorgeous! :D

22. KEDA

KEDA Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2002
    thanks alot i will do that ^-^

23. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    A lot of full length dresses for formal wear only have the boning ending at the waist, even if there is no waist seam. These are really just to keep the bodice from wrinking and not really as a support at all. In a corset it's about body moulding/supporting.

I'd be interested in what pattern you are using? You might find you need to adjust the pattern a little if you are going to bone to the bottom. Probably not so much in the case of this shape, as the corset is meant to fit to the body and not say flare at the bottom like some historic corsets (thinking mostly 1870s here).

And as a follow up to my metion of lacing rings many moons ago in the other Picnic dress thread.. or was it to Koshka on the S&S forum...? Anyway, just using them myself in another project and it is perfect. The original costume is hooked up the back, but I cannot use that, and eyelets would ruin the line of the bodice. So lacing rings allow me to lace up, but no one can see that from the outside:)

I'm getting this project finished finally and will get some piccies of how the lacing looks from the outside soon.

24. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Neimhaille,

I was planning to use alternating hook and eye tape from Farthingale's to fasten my corset, but your comment has me worried now. :) Why would it ruin the line of the corset? Nothing's in stone yet, so I'm open to any advice!

Regards,
    M.

25. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    For my corset I used McCalls pattern 3315. It is more of a dress like corset than a real corset. I think it should be OK to run the boing the entire length of the corest though. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

-kay dee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.