main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's ROTS Black "The Kiss" Gown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by MartyBrandt, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartyBrandt

MartyBrandt Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2004
    Hello there,

Im looking into making this dress for a very dear friend of mine. Were going to try and get it done for Haloween/DVD release night.

There doesnt seem to be any good pictures of the dress, unless Im just not seeing them.

Any tips on making this dress?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

-Marty

2. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Try www.padawansguide.com for info on that one. Maggie has a great site with TONS of pictures and details :)

3. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Hi MartyBrandt - I just made this dress last month.

I'll try and get a picture of the pattern envelope - it's an old dress pattern that I modified a fair bit. I bought the pattern about 9 years ago though, so it could be out of print.

padawansguide has lots of good reference photos - but I got my best idea of where the seams are from seeing the movie on the big screen (then used the photos to refresh my memory).

4. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Sister_Sola, you version looked beautiful! [face_love]

5. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Wow! S_S - your dress is lovely! I really love that costume!

Regards,
    M.

6. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Thanks folks! :)

I scanned the pattern envelope in - it's McCall's 7297

I used view 'A'.

Modifications:

- Created an empire seam in the side front and side back pieces, to match up with the seam in the centre front and back. Widened the new side back pieces in order to create enough fabric to make the rather large pleats (I think I widened each side back piece by at least 4 inches, so 8 total added to the back).
    - Instead of gathering the lower centre front and back, made that into pleats - just one single, 'hidden' pleat in the centre front. Pleated the entire back skirt section, from side seam to side seam, about 2 inch deep pleats.
    - created a 5 inch long dart in the upper centre front/bodice section, starting at the bottom, tapering it off at about the bustline
    - raised the neckline about an inch and 1/2, and added a 2 inch rounded collar.
    - added invisible zipper to centre back (the orig. pattern is a pull-on, no closures needed. But by raising and adding the collar it needs a closure).
    - lengthened hem.

I did this as 2 layers - the cotton lace overlay, and a satin underlayer (not really a lining, more like a full layer, with seams still on the inside).

I created a pregnancy pad with the leftover satin fabric, stuffed with polyfill. Just wore a bodysuit underneath the dress to hold the pad in place.

The shawl was cut out of "macramé lace", edged with lace trim, and sequin trim on the front.

Hope this helps!

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh Sola, I had no idea you made this dress. Sneaky sneak! :p
    I think it looks just stunning on you and that you did a fantastic job on accuracy and with the details. Wonderful!

8. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Thank you Dawn!

9. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    wow! uber-prettyful dress =) very nice job

10. DARTH_VAD

DARTH_VAD Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2002
    Thank you Sister Sola so much for posting your modifications(sp) I've been trying to modify Butterick 4017 view B for this gown. Now I know my next muslin will work out 100%.

11. MartyBrandt

Aug 15, 2004
    I know its been a while since Ive posted on this. But look what I found!!

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/MikeBrandt/KissDressFabric.jpg]

Its almost an exact match! I cant wait to get started on this dress!!

-Marty

12. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Wow, that looks like a great fabric Marty! Where did you find it? What's it made up of (i.e. wool lace, or ?)

13. MartyBrandt

Aug 15, 2004
    Im actually not sure what type of fabric is it. I bought it at JoAnnes here in Vegas. I was so excited to find it that I didnt bother to see what is was lol. Its got a bit of a stretch to it. Once I get it going, Ill take more pictures.

-Marty

14. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    -=grins=- I've been eying that fabric for weeks. I finally bought some when it went on sale.

15. MartyBrandt

Aug 15, 2004
    It went on sale???!?!?!? Dang it. Its a good thing I love my Padme this much...

-Marty

16. FenigDurak

Dec 6, 2002
    Ok, I cranked out my dress and was pleased with the result for the ROTS DVD Midnight Release here in town. Well, one of them anyway.

Yahoo Photo Album link

I really REALLY hope the link works. Not a great pic, but it'll suffice until I get my own uploaded and taken care of.

17. HeatherD

HeatherD Jedi Master star 1

Feb 12, 2005
    It looks lovely [face_clown] The fabric looks kind of shiny, what is it?

18. FenigDurak

Dec 6, 2002
    It was the flash mostly. I used a blue-grey matte satin for the underlay, but once I pressed it, it seemed to gain a little sheen to it, but only under flourescent lights. Very strange stuff. I bought it at the Denver Fabrics annex, so fiber content was not something I had available to me. :p

19. Queen_Apailana

Queen_Apailana Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    Okay I am plannig this dress for this spring and I am looking for the Pattern Sister Sola used I have not found it on ebay yet but has anyone one found a pettern that could work or a purple lace with the square pattern on it or any lace for the matter all I can find is big and floral.

20. Queen_Apailana

Jun 12, 2005
    I finaly got the pattern off ebay.

I found some lace for the overlay. Iyt only comes it white and it comes in 4 yd increments, you would have to dye it (and it's polyester).

[image=http://www.fabricclub.com/store/stores_app/images/images_181/L4395.jpg]

This could work for the big black thins on the belt.

[image=http://www.firemountaingems.com/images/P1426CBB.jpg]

Does anyone one know the color of the satin underneath in the mane body shots it looks black but the close up of the neck looks like a light purple.

Edit: I was looking at the dress and I noticed the big blakc thigs are not smool they are cut well now I have to go back to looking :_| But the smooth ones are so pretty.

21. Queen_Apailana

Jun 12, 2005
    Okay I just got the pattern today :)

And I have some questions on how to wided the side back peice how do we wided it do we take the side closet to the back and just add 4 inches to the entire length of it or something else.

And for the front hidden pleat I feel dumb to ask it but how do you make it.

Also again another pleat question to make the pleats on the back do you just fold it to center 2 inches deep.

I just am wondering before I start a mock up of it.

22. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Wow, congrats on finding it!

I added 2 inches to each side of the top of the side back pattern piece. So instead of it starting slimmer and flaring out, it's now a long rectangle.

I thought visual might be best:

[image=http://sistersola.com/hidden-pleat.jpg]

You make a fold where the dotted lines are on the pattern, then bring those two folds to meet each other in the centre. This creates a 'loop' behind them, which you then iron flat.

I started from the centre and made 2 inch pleats going out to the sides, on each side.

Good luck with your mockup!

23. Queen_Apailana

Jun 12, 2005
    thanks I will hopefully create one as good looking as yours.

24. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Aww, thank you! [face_blush]

25. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.