main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's turtleneck costume (AOTC deleted scene)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    I can speak up for kawaiiwildragon on this one. I'm her boyfriend (ROTS Anakin at SDCC) so I did what I could to help out and I made the headpiece. It was made out of sintra with giant zip ties glued down for the detail.
    Here's a pic of her wearing it:
    [image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jangofett316/cons/sdcc04d1-13.jpg]
    The main problem is that it wasn't contoured enough from front to back so it wouldn't lay correctly, it kept falling forward. Plus we had to keep gluing it down to the actual head band that she used to hold her hair back. Overall it was a real pain.

2. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    Wonderful job girls. You both look beautiful. :)

3. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Kawaiiwilddragon - your costume is great!

:)

ecila

4. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    First, here's me and JediSamantha from when we discovered each other at the Lucasfilm pavilion today

lol yes and the first thing she tells me is.. "I just finished this at 6am!"

Typical of a costumer :)

But i really did LOVE it, it was excellent!

5. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    All you blue Padmés look lovely!

6. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Both your gowns are lovely! Great job to both of you!

~Laura

7. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    All that prodding - ouchie!

Lol!

Well I decided I was mad at my can can dress last night, so I started the turtleneck costume!

I made a mock up of the skirt and I think I will use it for the actual lining. For the top, I need to pick up the Kwik Sew pattern, and I want to play around with it tonight.

I have the house to myself this weekend, so I will try to take turns on both costumes. We will see how productive I am.

Eeeeek - only 35 days of sewing left til DCon!

ecila

8. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi,
    I made most of the top over the weekend, and I still need to make the skirt and dye everything.

The shirt still needs trim and bit more of sewing everything in place in back. I want to redo the mock turtle neck too. Here is what it looks like now:

top 1

top 2

You can't see the contrasting grain too well, but it is there. I think I can finish the top tonight or tomorrow(save the trim and dyeing), and I still need to alter the skirt mock up before I make the real thing.

ecila

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Fantastic! It looks great ecila! :D
    You were a busy bee this weekend.

So, did you ever get back to those pesky MR ruffles? :p

10. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi Dawn!
    Lol, I was very mad at my ruffles (and myself) for a while because I miscalculated and they were all way too short to go on the skirt. A few phone calls and three trips to fabric stores later, I have finally found some more of the missing fabric so I can get back to work on the ruffles (which are currently scattered throughout my living room). I just took a break from it this weekend to get my sanity back.

I love my ruffles again (and so does Princess Chi Chi), so all is good now.
    ecila

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Yay! The ruffle love has been restored. ;)

So your fabric for this Padmé costume looks like it has the perfect texture. What a find!

12. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    ecilia Your costume looks great so far!! What a speed demon you are!! I am SO thankful I am not the only one still ruffling and sewing like mad. :)

Oh, Maggie just posted some awesome detail shots of Padme's Ep2 costumes from a foreign website--There is a SUPER extreme close up of the "ornament" on the center bodice of this costume, and it shows that there are tiny little beads/jewels there. Cool!

Oh, one more thing--I was at Wally-mart the other night and they had some great light silver panne' velvet for $1 a yard! Yes, not the world's greatest material--but for someone wanting a cloak for this costume it is a steal. Not sure if the fiber etch would work on a non rayon pile, but as Maggie suggested, you could paint the details on. Worth a mention, I though. :)

~Ferd [face_monkey]

13. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    ecila - that pic of your cat amidst pink ruffles is so cute!

Yep - someone sent me a czech website - I mostly have the same images- but somehow they got these cropped details from what seem to be higher res shots. They don't have the big image, just the detail cut out of it. Anyhoo, they had a detail of the center of the bodice to this gown and it has these little jewels, as Ferd said. I had no idea they were there!

Here's the image:
    [image=http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/secondblue/detail.jpg]

Maggie

14. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    It looks awesome, ecila! yay for more people doing this dress!

And Maggie, I'm so happy you got ahold of that shot! Maybe I'll try to add the beading onto my dress if there's time before GenCon...

Caitlin

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow Maggie, there are some great detail shots on that site. Good find. :)

16. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Thanks guys! Lol, I just was up til 4 AM sewing every night. :)

And yay for that close up too! Maggie - I just have to say how awesome your site is! I have had the page on this costume up all weekend, and I used the comparison shots before every stitch. Plus the tutorial was extremely helpful! (by Ferd, maybe?)

Now where to find pretty jewels? Hmmm...

ecila

17. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    It's really looking great, ecila!
    I cannot WAIT to see it in person!

18. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Yay, ecila! It's looking great so far! Can't wait to see it in person. :)

19. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Glad to be of help! Yep - that's Ferd's tutorial! :)

ecila, you'll have to send me your pic and any other tips/hints when you're done!

That goes for anyone else making this one too - email me a pic of you in your costume and I'm happy to post it! I put Caitlin's up recently. :)

I don't know where that czech site got some of those detail shots - I mean, we have a few hi-res pics, like that one huge promo Picnic one (the head and shoulder shot)- but it looks like there must be others - but I've never found them out there. And this site had some detail shots that must have come from a hi-res pic, but not the whole pic itself. Wierd.

Maggie

20. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Ok, I have a very important question!

Did anyone integrate a bra into the shirt? Any suggestions on how to do that? :)

ecila

21. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    I sort of did-- but a sports bra, not a regular bra. Basically, under the fashion fabric, I had a knit jersey fabric that I patterened off of the smallest fitted T-shirt I owned. It didn't have the funky seams like the fashion fabric; it was just a single piece for the front and a single piece for the back, like this (only without the lines drawn on):

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/jainamsolo/dummy_front.jpg]

Then I made a casing all round the bottom of the bust (incorporating the fashion fabric) and put elastic through that. So essentially I had made a sports bra out of the under fabric. It does a nice job keeping the, er, jiggling to a minimum.

(Oh BTW, as promised earlier, my comic-con report is online. part one, part two, pictures.)
    Caitlin

22. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Sew in slightly padded bra cups :) You should be able to find them on the notions wall at Joann's. You just handstitch it into place in a few places (the package will tell you where). I personally would recommend the "foam" kind that are used in bathing suits--Some of the "harder" shaped ones dent in with time and can look quite akward.
    I would *highly* recommend putting in the elastic at the bottom edge of the bodice. Cut it short enough so it will really cling to your body and fit snugly. Just make sure to mark the 4 points of the elastic so the elasticity is evenly distributed :) If you zig zag it on the outside and roll it in and zig zag it in again--all the while stretching it into place--just like making a bathing suit.

Depending on how busty you are--they do sell "stick on" bras that are sort of like a big sticker that will lift you a bit and give coverage but you won't have to worry about a bra showing and stuff--good for this gown and the Lake gown. They usually have 3 or so in a package for about $5.

You can also buy a cheap bra that fits you well and handstitch it into place in the appropriate place--Try it on with the with it in the top BEFORE you cut off the straps--make sure it works and supports well--then you can cut off whatever straps show or aren't needed.

Hope that helps :) and I'm glad my tutorial was helpful [face_blush]

~Ferd [face_monkey]

23. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    After looking at another detail shot from the hi-res pic of this costume, I'm starting to think that the trim isn't trim, but labradorite (or spectralite) - you can get strings of it in different shapes. It's grayish, but in light has blue highlights to it.

Here's an example at firemountaingems:

example 1
    and

example 2

Compare this to:

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/secondblue/trimdetail.jpg]

Incidentally - I have a little bit bigger version of the jewels in the middle of the bodice. I just replaced the other file with it. So the image that's imbedded in this thread is the new one now..

Maggie

24. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Abalone chips would probably work too. They both have the blue-ish luster to them.

25. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Maggie, I think you are right - the cording looks like stones, especially in the jewel close up! Lol, of course I already bought blue cording! I will just have to upgrade later. :)

Caitlin and Ferd - thank you both for the bra suggestions! I did get the thin sew in pads and some elastic, so I will be playing around with that.

I will be back to this costume once I can dig myself out from the ruffles! Ugggg, I can't wait til this skirt is done!

ecila

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.