main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's turtleneck costume (AOTC deleted scene)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ame_V

Ame_V Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2004
    I must be crazy, but I have decided to do this costume! Yay! And I want to wear it to Celebration III, which I don't even know if I can go to yet. Wow, I have a lot of work to do!

I was never originally going to make this one, but I found the fabric, and since it was $.99 a yard, I couldn't pass it up! I got it at Mill End Textiles in Rochester, MN, so if anyone is up near there and wants to make it, they might still have some. There were two bolts out when I went, which was a week ago, and they were outside for a "sidwalk sale." I'm not sure how long that was going on, but you never know. There might be some left. I wanted to post right away that night, but between packing for college and computer issues, it didn't happen.

So anyway, I should probably describe the fabric, right? I think the fabric itself is actually woven, and then it's gathered into the crinkle look with elastic on the backside. It's an off-white, so I'll have to experiment with dyeing. I think I'm shooting for the color of kawaiiwildragon's beautiful recreation, which looks really close to the color I remember it from the DVD. So sad that this costume didn't make it into the movie! I kinda want to make it in time for Halloween, but there are two problems with that. 1: Halloween is on a Sunday this year, so fewer people will see it most likely, and 2: since it's a deleted scene costume, I'm pretty sure that only hardcore SW fans will recognize it as Padme. But we'll see.

So, I'll be needing help with this one. I haven't done dyeing on a large scale for anything yet, and I have NO IDEA how to make the headband. I really want to have it, because I think it's such a great part of that costume, plus I'll need it to cover a wig or hair extensions or whatever I end up doing, because I just cut 12" off my hair, so it's not long enough to do Padme styles anymore! :( (Not that I ever had time to do them before, which is why I cut it.)

Anyway, while I was at Mill End I also found some silver velvet that would work to make the gorgeous cape that she wears with it, but they only had a little more than three yards. And I think to make the cape acurately would take more like six. So I'll have to try and find more of the same velvet, since I did end up buying it anyway. Hey, it was on sale for $4.99 a yard! So, so far I've spent less than $20 on this costume, which is a good thing! I mean, if I do end up going to Celebration III *crosses fingers* I'll want more than one costume, right? So I'll be spending even more money, and with the dye and the trim and materials to make the headband (whatever that ends up being) it'll be a lot, I'm afraid.

Ok, I'm going to go eat supper now, but I wanted to post this and get some of it off my chest. More will follow. Beware!

-Ame

2. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    I just wanted to chime in and say that all of your costumes are very pretty. Everyone that I saw as I scrolled through the pages did excellent work, especially on the top which, IMO, is the hardest part to re-create. I really like the blue that Kawaiiwilddragon used, seems to be a perfect match. I'm actually considering cheating on this costume and just making the bottom and the cape (I just LOVE capes) and making the front of the top just cropped in the back, since I wouldn't be taking of the cape. I have several cape patterns but the material is a next to impossible to find around here. I'll have to poke around in this thread more and see what others came up with. Anyways...great job again to all of you who tackled such a pretty dress and did such outstanding work!!!

3. kawaiiwildragon

kawaiiwildragon Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2003
    thanks, I was worried about the dye since the samble they showed me wasn't exactly the same color as the dress came out to be.But all turned out good. To make the dress seem more vibrant, my uncle added a silky backing to the fabric that was a light blue, that seemed to help bring the color out. The fabric we used was a little see through at first.lol. all turned out good, except the hem came loose so I'm sending it back to fix it, since I have no talent in sewing :(

4. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi everyone,
    A quick update on the status of my version of this costume!

The shirt has a bra now! Woohoo! Lol. I used the pads and the elastic, and I am quite happy with the results. (thanks again for the advice guys!) I still need to sew the front gather on and put on the trim. I have the lining of the skirt complete. For the bottom, I really just need to cut out the outside, serge it onto the lining, and sew on a hook. The outside is just one piece. I don't think it will take long, but I can't do anything until I get home on Sunday night.

I don't see any dyeing taking place before DCon, but we will see!

Crossing my fingers - I have 3 costumes to complete in 3 days!!!!!

:)
    Alice

5. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Yay Alice!! :) I'll tell you what you all told me last month-- YOU CAN DO IT! You may not sleep much-- but you can do it! *g* Can't wait to see the finished product. *So* jealous of everyone going to D*C! Oh well, at least I've got C3 to look forward to...

Caitlin

6. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Thanks for the encouragement, Caitlin! It is too bad you can't make Dcon, but C3 will be awesome!

Ok, so I snuck off at lunch and worked on my skirt! Heeheehee! It is nearly done - I just need to add a couple of fasteners, attach the top to the skirt in the back, and dye the whole lot. Still have the front center of the shirt too. We will see how much I get done tonight!

ahahaha - i am just a last minute type of lady!

ecila

7. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Form one "last minute type of lady" to another, you can get this finished in time. :) I'm sure it'll look great.

8. Ame_V

Apr 15, 2004
    Ok, so I haven't actually started working on this one yet, but I've been brainstorming with my boss, who has consented to help me make it. The problem, of course, is lack of time. Anyway, we were trying to come up with ideas for the headband, because I want it to be as accurate as possible. Does anyone have thoughts on what the original was made out of? My boss (hereafter to be referred to as Jean) thinks it was probably metal. I don't know if I have the skill to replicate that, but she also suggested making it out of leather. Has anyone here worked with leather to achieve that type of result? I know nothing about leather, but I'm thinking this might be my best bet. I'm open to any suggestions! Thanks.

-Ame

9. kawaiiwildragon

kawaiiwildragon Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2003
    ask Danakinskywalker, he made my headpiece, he should know a little bit about it

10. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Today I found the perfect fabric for this gown, it's light, it's crinkly and in a perfect shade of blue. The only negative would be that it's a bit too shiny. Well, well, too bad I'm not making this dress.

11. Bloodofthereaper

Bloodofthereaper Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2004
    I've been thinking of making this dress but I never start any projects without first having the resources. I was wondering if anyone had spotted similar fabric anywhere online or in any of the fabric stores like joann's, hancock's etc.? To the ladies who made theirs i was wondering if you could tell me (if you remember or know) what the name of the fabric is that you used? Thanks for your time!

Cillista

12. Ame_V

Apr 15, 2004
    I don't know the name of my fabric, sorry. And I don't know where to get it, either. Mine was on clearance at Mill End in Rochester, MN in August. It was only a dollar a yard, (why, oh why didn't I just buy five yards when I had the chance???) but I think they got rid of it pretty quickly. I did see some similar stuff at Wal-Mart for cheap, but again, that was several months ago. Sorry I can't be more help!

I can't even remember the last time I posted in this thread, so I'll start with the dyeing. I did that way back in October but was too nervous to start cutting out the dress for a while. I used RIT dye in Teal, and it turned out the perfect color. At least, it looks the way I think it should look. I know that different pictures of the dress look different colors, but I wanted the really rich turquoise blue color from the screen shots of the deleted scenes.

Anyway, I finally cut out my skirt today, even though I had to piece it a bit, (since I was dumb and only bought three yards) but it turned out fine. I've been having issues with the top, because the fabric is much stretchier than the fabric I used for my muslin, although that had stretch to it, too. So I think I'll have to re-do a couple seams.

I think for the headband I am going to try leather, perhaps in two layers. I could probably cut the design out and apply it to a base headband, then paint the whole thing with turquoise metallic paint. What do you think? I would probably also use the same paint for my shoes, which are reasonably comfy flat white dress shoes that I never wear anymore. I can't think of anything else that I would wear turquoise shoes for, but since I don't use them it doesn't matter.

I also have beads for the trim on the bodice. They are not exactly right, but they'll do. They are light and dark turquoise plastic faceted diamond-shaped beads, and I'm stringing them every-other one light and dark. I think it'll have the general effect, anyway.

I've also made great progress on the cloak, since Mill End finally got more of the silver velvet that I bought three yards of back in August, as well. I was there last Saturday and found two remnants of just over a yard each, so I made the cloak in one day, using the three-yard piece as the base and the two one-yard pieces for the sleeves. I didn't use a pattern except for the sleeves, which I altered from a Medieval dress costume pattern. I'll look it up tomorrow and give you the pattern number. Then I had to piece the hood from the scraps of the two sleeve pieces, and I lined it with silver satin so the seams wouldn't show on the inside. It turned out pretty well, although of course I wish I had had more fabric. Oh well.

I'll give you more details on the cloak tomorrow. I'm tired right now and I don't want to deal with this confounded computer any more than I have to. So, until then, happy sewing!

-Ame

13. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi,
    I realized that I never posted pictures of my nearly finished costume! I used this dye with hot water in a plastic trash can for about 30 min (if I remember correctly).

The picture titled turtleneckskirt is the closest in the color, but in life it is even brighter, like a Tiffany's box!

Enjoy

Still need to add the jewels in the front and secure the trim and back. I will have this one at CIII!

ecila

14. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Wow!!! That color is dead on!!! Great job!

15. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Yay Ecila! Looks awesome. :) That trim looks suspiciously familiar-- did you buy it at Joann? ;-)

Where'd you buy your dye? I might want to give my dress a dunk in that.

Caitlin

16. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    ecila, super DUPER pretty! Great job!

17. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Very pretty, it looks great :)

18. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    I've found Dylon dye at Hancock Fabrics, if that helps, Jaina.

Looking great, Ecila! :)

19. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi,
    Yes the trim is from Joanns (I dyed it too, but the color didn't change much) and the dye is from Hancocks!
    ecila

20. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Okay, so remember how I stayed up all night to finish this dress before Friday of Comic-Con last year? Well that day I auditioned for the SW Trivial Pursuit DVD wearing the dress, and I made the final cut! I got my DVD copy today and finally found my question, so if you want to see my dress, I'm on Game 4, in "the saga" category. Whee!

Caitlin

21. Ame_V

Apr 15, 2004
    I wish I had had time to take pics of my costume before C3, but unfortunately that didn't happen. So, here are pics from my camera and other people's pics posted in the C3 pics thread:

[image=http://www.sistersola.com/CIII/CIIIFri/CIIIFri-016.jpg]
    Sister_Sola took this one and I love it! I forgot to get any close-ups of my hair (which I bought on ebay) or my headband (which was thrown together Friday morning!)

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Ame_V/C3%20Friday/PadmeAide.jpg]
    Here is, from left to right, Naboo_Girl, me, Sarah from Electrakitty Designs, and Lisa ? wearing a Bail's Aide costume that Sarah made, as well.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Ame_V/C3%20Friday/Steve1.jpg]
    This is me with the coolest Anakin there! I loved his costume, and he was kind enough to pose with me (and a ton of other people!) in all three of my costumes.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Ame_V/C3%20Friday/ActionFigure.jpg]
    Again, my favorite pic from the whole weekend.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Ame_V/C3%20Friday/rainbowcloak.jpg]
    This is the best picture of me with my cloak on, along with a gorgeous Padme Lake dress! I don't know who it is, though. And I can't get the stupid picture to flip the right way! Grrrrrrrrr.

-Ame

edit: Never mind. It works now.

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Great pictures Ame. Your hair looked great. :)

Jaina, I was so pleasantly surprised when I saw you on the Trivial Pursuit game. I almost didn't hear the question because I was too busy saying "That's Caitlin! That's Caitlin!" Soooo cute!

23. Ame_V

Apr 15, 2004
    Thanks! I'm listing my headband on ebay. Is it "legal" to post a link here?

-Ame

24. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    That pastel lake dress in your last pic was made by FERDALUMP, Ame_V.

And yes, you can post a link here to your own eBay auctions.

Great job on that headpiece btw!

25. Ame_V

Apr 15, 2004
    Ah, ok. Thanks for the info. Here we are. One hit so far, and that was me! This is my first time selling anything on ebay, so I'm a little nervous. [face_worried]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.