main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's turtleneck costume (AOTC deleted scene)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Looks awesome, kay_dee! I can't wait to see the final results cause I'm sure it'll look great! ;) :)

~Spacelady

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow! kay_dee, it looks amazing! Your costume is going to be so screen accurate. :D

3. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, I don't think it will be. I don't think my fabric for the dress is quite right and I'm actually very nervous to see if it's going to have the right drape. Can you tell I'm stressing with only about a month until comic con and trying to complete 2 costumes at the same time!!!

- kay dee

4. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Just a little update - I dyed my diagonal doubleweave habotai this week and I'm almost done cutting out all 13 gores of the skirt.

The color is not 100% accurate, despite all my efforts (there are only so many dyes I can afford to purchase and play with). It was the closest I could get it with the dyes I purchased. I'm sure there is some type/combination of dye out there that would be more accuarate (maybe in the Procion dyes? Maybe a slightly different combo of acid dyes?). It looks OK though.

Here are two photos - one with and one without flash. It really looks different in photos than it does in person. A little more of the green hue of the teal is visible in person. In photos it looks very blue/gray.

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/padme_family/dyed_flash.jpg] [image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/padme_family/dyed_noflash.jpg]

Acid Dyes were used. Silver, Teal, and gunmetal. The highest percent was silver because that is a very pale dye, lowest percent was just a touch of gunmetal. I should have probably used a little less silver, but even if I reduced it, it still would have been the highest % of the mixture because it's so darn weak compared to the teal.

- kay dee

5. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    WOW kay_dee it still looks AWESOME!!!!

6. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Yes - it is looking fabulous so far! I can't wait to see the finished product!
    :)
    ecila

7. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks. The color is grayer than the real thing but it will do :)

I'm almost done with the skirt. It's been kind of labor intensive because there are so many seams that I had to alter after trying it on the first time, then I had to serge off the excess seam allowance and carefully fold in all 14 or so seams to make a mock french seam (since the skirt flaps open, I want it to look good inside and out as close to the real costume as possible).

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/padme_family/skirt_nohem.jpg]

I've still got to add one more hook to the flap. And it's just hanging a little funny on the dress form because I quickly pinned the waist to the dress form.

Now, the thing I always try to avoid happened to me! I cut my skirt pattern too short in front! My muslin trials had plenty of extra length for hemmage, but this silk is so light it just doesn't sag and drag down as much as my test polyester satin. There are sections of the front where I have only about 1/2 - 3/4" to fold under and the hem won't drape right if I cut it that shallow. This fabric is so odd, the hem only behaves if it's a good 1 1/2" deep or more. *sigh* So, this road block just kind of pissed me off today and I didn't finish the skirt as I planned. I think I'm going to have to take some of the regular Habotai I dyed for my waist facing and just add it to the inner part of the hem to make it deep enough. I hate hate hate having to do a patch job. I hope this doesn't totally ruin the skirt and make it look amature :(

8. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    LOL, I'm like the only person working on this right now talking to myself ;) I still like to document what I've done here because people come along and study the costumes at this forum (that's how I got my start).

My skirt is done. I left off the train on this 'party length' version. The hem is very full and the hem allowance that was folded up was originally getting caught in my heels of all things (Not good to hear a rrrrrip sound when you walk)! It turns out that adding tiny drapery weights (they come in a rope) to the intersections of the seams at the hem line helped keep the hem from flying around as excessively when I walked. It also really was needed on some of the front corners that wanted to flip upward. The crinkled habotai is just really hard to work with.

My shirt muslin is under way. I started with Butterick 3344 view D. It's made for stretch knits, so adpting it to fit right with wovens takes some adjusting that I'm still working the kinks out on. I then kind of used Ferd's and JainaMSolo's approach to drawing lines on the muslin to cut the pattern into more sections. Adding the sleeve to the center front bodice piece is tricky though (there is no seam on the real one, the sleeve is part of the bodice!)

Here are photos of my hemmed skirt and where my muslin is at right now.

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/padme_family/shirt_muslin-skirt.jpg] [image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/padme_family/shirt-muslin-front.jpg] [image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/padme_family/shirt_muslin-back.jpg]

Back to the drawing board with the shirt!

- kay dee

9. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    THATS what I get for being away 3 weeks straight, lol! That is absolutely stunning!!!! GO Kay_Dee!!! I just bought some fabric for my first ever FULL size costume, Padme's sleeveless. Shoud be fun!

10. Tally-Skywalker

Tally-Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2006
    Wow!! That's awsome!! I wish I could make something like that!!

~Tally

11. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks Tally - but aren't you making the rainbow dress? To me that one looks more difficult! I'd totally love to do it since it's my favorite costume, but it frightens me on several levels!

- kay dee

P.S. I'm still plugging away at this darn costume! My head band is primed and in a few hours I'll airbrush it with the paint I mixed to match my fabric. I'm still working out some issues with the shirt muslin though - getting the back tabs drafted correctly has been time consuming since I don't have a body-double duct tape dummy to drape off of. I literally draw one pattern piece, sew the back on, try it, then draft new back tabs noting how I *think* I need to change it. With any luck version #4D will work. Ugh.

12. Tally-Skywalker

Tally-Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2006
    yea, but I cheated. I bought a hand-made version from a girl. I just sized it to me and made a few modefications to make it more cannon. I'm still working on it. I have to make the hair piece. You can look at pix of it in the rainbow dress thread.

~Tally

13. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    kay-dee - You're too hard on yourself! There are no costumes you've done that have been less than stunning and this one is no different! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Regards,
    M.

14. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks. I think I was just stressing because I wanted it done by Comic-Con which I leave for in one day. I'm getting ready to draft my final shirt pattern right now and cut my pieces tonight for the shirt. I'll see how fast I can put it together tomorrow and maybe I'll hand bead, put on buttons, and hand stitch some of the elastic casing at the hotel if I'm really that close to having it done :)

My husband air brushed the head band tonight (I'd never used it and he didn't want me to ruin all my hard work. I stood by and watched). I love my head band! So tomorrow I've gotta rub-n-buff that too. Not sure yet if I should apply clear coat first though. Hum - too much to do still and only about 24 hours left!

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I saw a story on Janet Jackson and her new video today and started laughing when I saw one of her costumes for it. It's a very similar design to Padmé's, it even has the back cut out but I couldn't find a pic online of it from the back. The biggest difference is that Janet's has an asymmetrical hole cut out of the skirt to reveal one of her upper thighs. I'm glad Padmé's didn't have that! LOL!

[image=http://extratv.warnerbros.com/v2/news/0706/25/3/images/3.jpg]
    [image=http://extratv.warnerbros.com/v2/news/0706/25/3/images/1.jpg]

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh my gosh, it does remind me of Padme's costume but so much cheesier. It's kind of not flattering on her IMHO.

17. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    I agree it isn't flattering. But MY it does look the same!! That is really incredible.

18. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Oi vey. Leave it up to the "stars" to do something like this. :rolleyes:

~Spacelady

19. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I finally finished painting my headband. In the end the pearl blue rub-n-buff I used looks a little too dark compared to the original. I should have played more with mixing perhaps some silver and blue, finding a different rub-n-buff color (turquoise?) or finding a metallic paint I could use as an wash over the non-metallic base.

Oh well, that's what happens when I get impatient and D*Con is a few weeks away!

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/padme_family/head/buff_top.jpg] [image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/padme_family/head/buff_side.jpg]

Paint Supplies Used:

- Floquil Spray Figure Primer - Light Gray
    - Model Master Acryl (acrylic paint). A mix of colors 4778 Hellblau RLM 65, 4847 US Navy Blue Gray, and 4379 Morning Blue. Paint was air brushed on.
    - Testor Dull Cote clear spray
    - Pearl Blue Rub-n-Buff

20. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    wow, its still really cool, kay dee!!!

21. Jedi_Healer

Jedi_Healer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2005
    Wow you are amazing, Kay_dee! It looks so perfect.

*ish envious*

Haha I'm certain your costume will be awesome; you've put so much hard work into it. This is one of the costumes I hope to do one day...not now, my lack of finances and time being the main deterents, but one day..

22. Ame_V

Ame_V Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2004
    Wow, kay_dee, your costume is going to be amazing! The headband especially is so perfect, mine looks very amateurish now. I really need to redo it.

Anyway, I finally got around to taking pics of my costumes from C3, which I'm either going to redo or perfect for C4 (if I actually end up going). This one I think I'm just going to line the skirt and add some finishing touches to the top that I never got around to. But anyway, here are the pictures. More can be found at my website.

[image=http://blue-eyedpadme.com/images/100_33842.JPG] [image=http://blue-eyedpadme.com/images/100_33862.JPG]

I couldn't find my headband, and I was in a hurry. And I didn't take any new pictures of the cloak because it needs to be repaired, but I want to redo the sleeves and the hood, so I figure I might as well wait until I get more fabric. Which might be a while.

Pics of my other two costumes can be found in their respective threads (corset and light blue Tatooine) or on my website.

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Lovely costume Ame! :)

kay_dee, your headband in completely amazing. I wish I was going to D*C so I could see you in your costume in person. :)

24. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I remember your costume from C3 Amy - it looks great! I wish I had been able to track down the crinkled knit fabric that used to be all over the place only a year or two ago. The Habotai has been very, very challenging and frustrating to work with. It's made the construction of the skirt and especially the top a very painataking process :( I'll do a write up with all the crazy steps I had to go through to make the crinkled doubleweave habotai behave. Thank goodness I got a new serger, I wouldn't have been able to work with this doubleweave fabric without it.

I'm really pushing to get this done for D*Con. Right now I'm worried I won't have time to devote to making perfect decorative flower clips for the dress. I've gotta start sculpting those out of clay tonight so that hopefully tomorrow night (monday) David can help me make a silicon mold, Tuesday I can cast resin pieces, Wednesday paint them and stick them on my shirt! This is cutting it so close! And in between all that I need to bead the top and alter a Titanic costume to fit.

Time to get sewing :(

- Kay Dee

25. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    I hope you won't answer this until after the con because you're busy sewing and not online kay_dee ;), but maybe to save time, just make the flower clips in sculpey and use those this time? Then do the resin ones later for C4 and what have you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.