main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's turtleneck costume (AOTC deleted scene)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Heehee, it's not impossible cause I have a headscarf that is made of the same material and design (permanently pleated) as my Mauls' Outer Robe but bought almost a decade ago (it was fashionable for headscraves & skirts then).

Just wondering if such fabric is available somewhere cause was thinking of using such pleated fabric for one of TPM Handmaid's gown as having the fabric specially made is too ex and non-economical for me (Pay for 50 metres of fabric + 50 metre of pleating process = 25 metre of highly pleated fabric).

2. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Gallery
    Gallery 2

Here's a link to the gallery of all the pics of this dress...just for reference.

I bookmarked it! [face_clown]

3. Spitsweet

Spitsweet Jedi Master star 2

Jun 29, 2002
    I am going to do the "beaded chains" on the bust tonight :)

I tried to attempt the skirt two days ago..it was awful...I see to have real big problems with making my doll a skirt I had the same problem with the White Tatooine dress's skirt...but that was easier since I ould tight it with the belt...

I want to tight the skirt with two snaps, but it doesn't work at ALL, if I cutr a rectangle as a skirt...

4. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    What problems are you having? Here's how I'd do it, but this isn't necessarily the one workable method, either. Would it maybe work if you made a tiny waistband and made the skirt in three pieces? Like, a back panel, and two front panels? I was thinking it would be a long strip in three panels, maybe slightly gored. To put it on you would center the back panel in the middle of the doll's back, wrap the right (your right) front panel of the skirt around the front, fasten it in front at the opposite hip with a little snap, then wrap the front panel over top of that and attach IT with a small snap too. That way, the skirt would have a little shape instead of being just a rectangle, but it would still look like it's supposed to, mostly. That way you could fit the waistband (teeny as it would be) but it wouldn't make the rest of the skirt just a tube.

Did that make any sense? If you can decipher it, hope it helps!

Kate

5. Spitsweet

Jun 29, 2002
    yes, it does make sense :) Thank you...but most of you probably know I am French Canadian and did ont understood some things...like what do you mean by a waistband ? why would I do that if the three panels are sewn together through the waist line ?

anyways, I am not sure if the skirt is really a rectangle shape... look at those pics :

[image=http://membres.lycos.fr/padmeskywalker/skirt.jpg]

[image=http://padawansguide.com/padme/secondblue/padme_secondblue_dvd6.jpg]

it looks like atfer the knees, the skirt has a lot of pleats...how is it possible ? cold it be many triangle panels ?

6. Spitsweet

Jun 29, 2002
    I also did a enlarged view of the Cap for this gown...I also added light so we can see the details better :)

[image=http://membres.lycos.fr/padmeskywalker/skirt2.jpg]

it seems like the cape has a gold ornament at the collar...

7. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Oh, yeah. Definately not a rectangle in back after looking at that picture.

To me it looks a lot like some of those skirts that are fairly slim-fitting until near the bottom, then have a flared hemline that falls in "pleats" like that. It's done by cutting the material on the bias. You'd have a skirt piece that is fitted through the waist and hips, and then greatly flares out on each side at the point you need the "pleats." The wider the flare, the more "pleats" you have. When sewn together, it should have that same look.

A Not So Close Example

8. Spitsweet

Jun 29, 2002
    Great thank you !!! I just hope my fabric will be able to do pleats...I had (an d STILL have) real problems doing the pleats with my white Tatooine gown...

9. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    You shouldn't actually have to pleat it, doing it that way. The "pleat" effect should form on its own.

10. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    looking at the last shot of the back of the dress it looks like multiple gores, I can see what look like three seams (or rather the bulk of the seam allowance showing through the fabric) just in the back. They are fitted to the body to about knee then flare out, like a narrow funnel upside down. So there must be at least four panels in the back, does the front flare like the back? Or is it similar to the black corset dress and flat at the front with all the flare at the back? Though in this case the flare is evenly distributed round the back not just the centre back seam.

I wouldn't cut them on the bias as the triangular flared shape already has that effect:) And infact if you look at the dvd captures the crinkles do only go vertically not diagonally from the hip:)

They are not pleats just folds of the fabric. I'm making a cote from a pattern based on the Greenland finds (14thC garments) and the sides are made up of many gores, they are falling in folds as ample as in this skirt;)

11. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Of course. Neimhaille's right about not cutting on the bias. :)

I was thinking of bias-cut dresses I own that do the same thing at the hem, without considering that you wouldn't have to use the bias for this. Oops. [face_blush]

12. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Im thinkin Panne for the cape...

The capes gold middle peice might be that similar to the other White/Blue padme costume...

13. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I know this isn't even close to exact, but the back of this dress has shades of Padme's costume in it!

[image=http://www.spiegel.com/assets/product_images/product_detail/0873283.jpg]

LOL -- I had to share it with you guys!

14. Spitsweet

Jun 29, 2002
  15. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Way to go Spitsweet! It's gorgeous!

Kate

16. QueenLaniAmidala

QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    I've posted a new section on my SW site that basically has a collection of all the pictures I could find of this dress. If I forgot any, please send me URL's! Thanks. Here's the site:

link

17. QueenLaniAmidala

Jun 9, 2002
    Updates please! Has anybody suceeded in making this costume yet (Besides the doll costume, which was very nice by the way!)? I'm really interested in making this costume (when I have more money...hehe), so please speak up if you've made this yet. Thanks!

18. QueenLaniAmidala

Jun 9, 2002
    Okay, I bought fabric for the cloak for this costume. Does anybody have any tips or anything for making the cloak to this costume?

19. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    In the Mythmaking: Behind the Scenes of Attack of the Clones book, the dress is described as being sea-green, if that helps anyone. (And yes, color names are subjective, as we all know from the two-piece Tatooine dress debate.)

20. Spitsweet

Jun 29, 2002
    Great !! I thought my fabric for the doll dress was too turquoise-ish compared to the icy blue that I see in the pictures of the DVD...but now I am glad that it is sea-green like my fabric :)

What type of material should I use to make the cape to be iridescent from white to silver ??

21. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    I've noticed in the book's pictures, a lot of the fabric colors change on film after they put in the digital backgrounds and all. Example: p 108 has a before & after effects shot of Jango & Obi Wan talking on Kamino. The picture with blue screen background shows Jango's shirt as being greyish, but in the picture with digital effects, its blueish. That's probably why we keep going back and forth about colors. :)

As for cape material, I have no idea. I'll keep an eye out for something suitable.

22. Spitsweet

Jun 29, 2002
    I have watched the Bedroom scene and I noticed the following things about the skirt :

1- the dress has a little train..noty a square train, but a kinfo triangular shaped train

2-this dress has MORE than just 1 SLIT here is the proof I took ;)

Proof

I might take a pic of the train later..

23. QueenLaniAmidala

Jun 9, 2002
    Ack: help! Okay, I bought fabric for the cloak to this costume, because I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. I've actually done pretty good on it so far, I'm almost finished. But I'm on the tricky part: the hood. I just can't figure out how to attach it so it looks right, but doesn't hang down too low in the back. Blah... does anybody have ANY ideas? I'm really desperate right now. I've tried about four different ways, and can't figure it out. Like, how does it get so full? Here's some reference pictures:

[image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jedi16/images/deleted/Padme4.jpg]

[image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jedi16/images/deleted/Padme5.jpg]

[image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jedi16/images/deleted/Padme_15.jpg]

Please help! Thank you.

24. QueenLaniAmidala

Jun 9, 2002
  25. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Have you seen those Kinsale cloaks sold at ren faires? The ones with the really big hoods, that look almost like shoulder capes when hanging down? It's possibly the same kind of hood used on this cape.

Sort of what I mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.