main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Water Gown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Darth_Eagle, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    As much as I love this dress and think it's the most beautiful addition to Padmé's wardrobe from ROTS, I just don't think I'd ever feel comfortable wearing it. *sigh*

I'm still looking forward to seeing everyone's versions though. :)

2. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Could that be stamped velvet for the cape? I've seen that done before to make the waves in the fabric. Just a thought.

3. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    > I just don't think I'd ever feel comfortable wearing it.

One of my FanForce member said he can arrange for a coffin for me while the other asking me about what's me with funeral outfits (Arwen Mourning Gown for ROTK Premiere and now Padme for ROTS Premiere)? :p

4. Aliabes

Aliabes Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Next Halloween, you should arganise a "funeral" procession, with all the mourning gowns ;)

5. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    SPOILER:

THere are some close-ups of the dress in the movie, but only from about the waist up.

The scene is lit very dimly.

I can't wait for the DVD now so I can watch the final 10 minutes frame-by-frame. Plus the DVD might have extended footage...............

Oh man.......this story is so sad,

6. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    At CIII when they showed footage in the Spectacular, I got misty when they showed the brief bit on Naboo. Just knowing what was going to happen made me sad. I couldn't read that part of the book.

7. Takianna

Apr 22, 2005
    Yeah, that part was really hard to read. I didn't think that I would make it through it, but I did. I hope that I can make it through that part in the movie, because I think seeing it will make it that much harder.

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I fully expect to be sobbing uncontrollably throughout the end of this film. :(

Did you guys see the photo of this dress in its coffin from the link that Maggie has on her front page?
    Pictures
    Such a pretty casket.

9. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    I agree, obi-dawn. I cry so freaking easily at movies ( I shed a tear at the "I truely, deeply, ove you speech)... so I plan on brining tissues. And the coffin is interesting- I was kinda planning in my head that to get over the ackwardness of just wearing the dress itself, to build the coffin around it, and walk around that way... maybe for the Dcon I plan to go to someday...

My thoughts on the cape: I was thinking it could be a soild velvet, then have the velvet ribbons of sequins and such running down it, with the main part of the cape painted in the water theme. I'm sure you could get that effect from a lot of dyeing techniques and fabric painting. That's what I was planning to do, although I'm definately waiting till there are a few good pictures out before I start it.

~Laura

10. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    i definitely think the entire cape is velvet, in that short video on costumes linked to on padawansguide, looking at the short shots that pan over it close up, i see a lot of texture that i would surely say is velvet. also the sequins seem to primarily be on the darker waves, and i would think that the whole think could be carefully dyed.

11. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Okay is it just me, or does anyone else think that coffin looks like the Barbie version?

12. Lil_Miss_Amidala

Lil_Miss_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Yeah, it does look kinda Barbie-ish. That would be a cool barbie to get. :p

13. Takianna

Apr 22, 2005
    I vote Barbie coffin.....

Some sore of blue would have been a better choice, don' t you think? It would bring out the dress a bit.

14. Lil_Miss_Amidala

Lil_Miss_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    The colours might be off though. Look at the Sleepless Knight gown. Every picture we've seen so far has been varieties of blue and purple, but these pictures make it look grey.

15. Takianna

Apr 22, 2005
    That is true! I saw the Sleepless Knights gown and it did look very gray. This could be another case of the color problem. In another picture I saw of the coffin made it look really silver.

16. joelle

joelle Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2004
    barbie has a coffin? wow shes changed from when i had barbies.

17. -anthony-

-anthony- Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    Ok...I started painting in the water theme a swatch of the wavy velvet I bought....I'm not sure...it looks pretty "watery" but from a distance view...

I'm thinking about buying an aqua velvet and try to find on the internet some ways of dying a fabric with different shades (but not a fading ala Rainbow gown)

I'm pretty sure I could find something useful at the Rit Official website....

18. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Frankly after 2 viewings, I doubt it's her symbol printing on the Inner Dress front. It seems just like rows of lines going down the fabric to further emphasize the water theme of the dress; like waves lines. If it is, it must be very big. :eek:

The movie also show it in a more darker tone.

Hmmm.....anyone have any idea how to get the color using Dylon Multi-Purpose dye? Or how to darken a Madonna Blue, then Arabic Blue dye job as it still find it too light and like a highlighted version of that BTS photo of the crew putting flowers on Padme. Am going more for the Jappor Snippet close-up picture color.

19. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    I'm so tired from the last few days, but I am following DE's demands ( ;) ) and will describe how I made mine.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/costume/padme/

On my lj I basically described it as part 1 part 2a, b and c (i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi)

Part 1 being the underdress
    part 2a cloak body
    part 2b cloak collar
    part 2c the sequined strands.

My underdress is cotton voile which was cut from an elizabethan shift I made and the fine pleats were sewn to a fitted inner bodice then the dress twisted into pleats while it was drying. I had no idea what happens sleeve wise, but it did look like there was fabric in one shot that looked to be the edge of a cuff. So I went with a sleeve shape that went well with the style. And I could use the dress again for Preraphaelite inspired costumes should I wish to go that path.

The cloak I did as a full circle mostly for ease, though it takes a lot of fabric (about 8m/over 8yards of 112cm/45" wide fabric) it creates beautiful folds at the back and you can direct the fabric to the front or back depending on the effect you want.

I didn't get a chance to do all the dyeing techniques I wanted so settled on using silver and metallic blue spraypaint to texturise the green velveteen I used. Hey I have well over 100m of the stuff in my stash I may as well use it ;)
    I also didn't get a chance to add sequins, and seeing the movie, the sequins are indeed rather prominant, not subtle due to the lighting. They don't flash though, again most likely due to lighting.

The blue paint did a great job in making it look aqua. And as I as less interested in making it screen accurate (ie colours affected by lighting etc) I was happy with the green toned blues.
    The silver was sprayed through a stencil I made with tapered wave shapes. This was before the blue so they were more subtle. Not that the wave pattern is subtle in the original;) But it just looked better with the materials I used.

The collar was a simple v shape with the point at the back and covered with stranded sequins, again because I had them in stash. 72yards of pale green iris sequins on cotton string. My gamble paid off that the string would take the dye and the iris would be heightened by the blue. The velveteen also took the dye obviously.
    I ran the sequins parallel with the edges in a continuous line which made the direction alternate going up and down, this added to create a more random effect. Seeing the movie the sequins are laid in a more random manner, probably due to being laid down individually.

I also noted there were only three strands of sequins ribbons either side from under the collar which was a lot easier than I originally thought;) That was what made me think I could do this. The ribbons were forest green overdyed as well with some dye left in the ribbons, but mostly in the sequin strands.

All in all it took two days work to dye and pleat the underdress, and sew to the bodice (a bit harder than it probably hould be as my shift was cut in gores so there was less fabric at the neckline than at the waist and less there than at the hem. It made pelating a little more difficult.

Sewing the sequins took a long time. Probably 4 hours for the collar and 45min each for the ribbons.

The cloak was cut and sewn in a couple of hours, then washed and it took about 2 hours to paint, then it was left to dry outside and then inside and then left to air outside.

It was a rush job, and I was mostly after evoking the dress than mimicking it directly.

There are other circumstances that made this harder than it would normally be which I can elaborate on in private messages if one wishes to ask;)

I'm annoyed I didn't get any photos of me wearing it. I was extremely disappointed with the way the event was set up. It made it impossible to get photos taken , especially on a rainy night as we did.

Which partially explains why I feel so tired and sore today;)

Hopefully I can get photos taken on the weekend when I have someone to help me. The curls won't be as good as they wer

20. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Neimhaille, thanks for the post! [:D]

Darn! I know I should had gone for a Full Circle Cloak or use up the whole 45" width of the cloth. :oops: The Velvet may have nape but seriously with its crushed status, the nape is not important; I even took 1/2h to decide which way I should cut the cloth since both directions looked the same to me. :p And I realized that the Inner Dress is longer than the outer! :(

Hai...maybe I'll save up more and do another cloak. Just hope the shop will still have the cloth a month or more from now as it's SGD10/m which under my non-employed status rite now, is a LOT of money to pay for, especially with me needing around 6m or more of it.

21. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    So I finally got piccies of my costume being worn today:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/costume/starwars/padmesit.jpg] [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/costume/starwars/padmefull2.jpg]

Checking out the angle of the "tripod", complete with test praying mantis
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/costume/starwars/padmetest1.jpg] [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/costume/starwars/padmetest1mantis.jpg]
    The underdress
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/costume/starwars/padmeunderhalf.jpg] [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/costume/starwars/padmeunderfull.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/costume/starwars/padmehalf.jpg] [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/costume/starwars/padmehalf2.jpg] [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/costume/starwars/padmefull.jpg]
    Eh, I'm still not happy with camera angles and such but it's at least been captured so I can now join the Rebel Legion.

Oh and the collar isn't uneven. I am.

22. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    beautiful job :) i work at a tv station so we get promotional tapes for the movie and the one for this movie has a whole segment on costuming, it has quite a few shots of natalie walking around trying this dress on and some close ups of the fabric, i'm going to try to get it transferred to the computer :)

23. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Neimhaille that looks so pretty, you look wonderful in it :).

24. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Beautiful, Michaela! :)

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Really very very lovely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.