main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Water Gown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Darth_Eagle, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked for recent query :)

2. HeatherD

HeatherD Jedi Master star 1

Feb 12, 2005
    I found some fabric that might be interesting for this dress. I don't think it's accurate, but the color and the crinkle look like they'd give a nice effect. The shiny aspect isn't screen accurate, but it would still be pretty! http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=d332dc36-cb4f-413f-96c9-8667d1390eed

3. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Heh....looks similar to what I saw at my usual Cloths Haunt. ;) Crinkled Taffeta.

Anyhow, I think another problem with it is that it's a bit stiff initially but might soften a bit after several washing. [face_thinking]

4. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Thanks for the fabric link. My husband and I are going to renew our wedding vows (yes Star Wars theme since my mother wouldn't let me have it for the first wedding) and this is the gown I've decided on for my dress.

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    That's awesome Takianna! I remember it being difficult to keep all the various family members appeased over wedding details (especially the Moms.) I hope your second wedding is exactly how you want it. :)

6. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Thank you. I have been a couple years in planning it. So I'm hoping things turn out well. I'll post pictures once we finalize when we are doing the nuptials for sure.

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Unlocked on request

8. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Thanks for the unlock.

Anyone have any luck identifying the types of flowers in her hair and/or finding artificial flowers that match?

The white flowers look like small lillies, yet I've not yet found ones to match online or in local stores.
    The longish yellow-green flowers look similar to lillies of the valley. That would make sense since another name for those flowers is Our Lady's Tears. As Padawan's Guide quotes Ian McCaig, the designer:"This was my favourite painting that I've ever done for the whole prequel trilogy. I was there when Padme was born as a character, and now I was burying her. The flowers are tears."

Questions on the cloak I've posted on the A New Dye thread.

At least the hair ribbons are simply gift curling ribbons, an easy find.

9. Anyara

Anyara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2006
    I've just had a look, and I think they're a white cultivar of Dutch Hyacinth. If you look really closely, you can see the sort of bell shape behind the star of petals, and on one I think I can make out a tiny snippet of stem where it's been cut off the flower spike.

Here's the close-up: http://www.padawansguide.com/padme3/water/water3.jpg
    And a close-up of a Dutch Hyacinth: http://cambridge2000.com/gallery/html/P3205552.html (OK, it's a purple cultivar, but they do come in white, and it shows the shape really well)

Anyara

10. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    there are some really nice close ups of the flowers in her hair here:

pick me!

hope that helps!

11. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    First, thanks everyone for the replies.

Anyara, thanks for the leads. I will also look at the composite flowers. The photo on Padawans's Guide taken by Prozacship is a good reference because it has the flowers loose without the wig or mannequin.

I think that they might be vintage millinery flowers.

http://www.padawansguide.com/padme3/water/exhibit1_med.jpg

The Rebel's haven flowers I don't see in her hair, but I do see them in the casket

12. cje24576

cje24576 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2010
    I was just wondering: what do you mean by the "ROTS souvenir guide"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.