Padme Amidala Padme's Wedding Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jedi_Samantha, Apr 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostradamus Jedi Master

star 4
    Since my last post on this thread in December 2003, I completed my recreation of the costume:

Padme Amidala Wedding dress 2004

and displayed it at GenCon2004 where it won first place in the professional division.

For the better part of two years I had been searching for materials that would be the closest match and have the most compatible feeling to the materials used in the movie costume.
    The costume created for the movie was made from a hand-made, one-of-a-kind, antique bedspread that would be impossible to duplicate.
    After searching for over a year, I decided that these materials that I had used are the closest to what would be able to represent the spirit of this costume.
    I began construction of the headpiece in late 2003 and constructed the coat and dress in summer of 2004. Growth issues with my daughter caused me to wait to build this costume since it is a very fitted floor-length dress. I wanted it to fit her perfectly for the formal presentation.

[image=http://www.geocities.com/tkvanb/Weddingdressportrait1.JPG]

I used home décor materials for the fashion fabric of the dress and coat. The dress is fully lined with a satin lining.
    The dress is based on Simplicity pattern #9162 view D. I opted to use the neckline and sleeves of view B. I built the dress as sleeveless, and incorporated the sheer sleeves between the fashion fabric and the sleeve facing.
    The coat is based on Simplicity pattern #9533 view A. I omitted the lining since I was using a sheer fabric.
    I omitted the shoulder roll and cuffs on the sleeves to allow my version to look more like what I am attempting to recreate.
    I used multiple layers of various lace pieces to create the heavily textured ornamentation on the front of the dress and around the front of the coat. I machine basted the larger lace pieces in place and then hand sewed them down. I hand-sewed hundreds (maybe thousands) of pearls into the lace of both the dress and coat to add to the opulence of the over-all look.

[image=http://www.geocities.com/tkvanb/Weddingdressdetailfront1.JPG]

The headpiece consists of over a dozen mostly hand-made, vintage lace pieces that I repaired and assembled to recreate the look and feeling of the headpiece worn in the movie. I tea-dyed some of the pieces so they would have the aged look, yet be a more consistent off-white color. I also hand-sewed hundreds and hundreds of pearls into these pieces. These lace pieces are sewn onto a base.

[image=http://www.geocities.com/tkvanb/Weddingdressheadpieceback2.JPG]

I also built Anakin's mechanical hand........and made a 12" doll version of the costume.
  2. Darth-Kevin-Thomas Force Ghost

star 5
    quick question....is the head peice sperate or is it part of a robe/cloak type thing.

my wife is making it for opening night.

dkt
  3. grommie Jedi Padawan

4. grommie Jedi Padawan

What color IS this dress? It appears to be a very very light off-white, which is the color of the fabric I bought for the dress itself - but finding braid or trim to make the scrolls and swirls is impossible! I'm debating buying white soutache braid and tea-dying it. Do you think that would work? The other option is of course, hand-embroidery, but - GAAAH! :) I like my fingers attached and unbloodied. It's always an option though.
  5. ecila Jedi Knight

star 2
    Nostradamus - your replication of this gown is absolutely stunning!!!!

Will you be bringing it to/attending DragonCon this year, by any chance? I would love to see it in person!

:)

alice

6. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Padme Wedding Gown FERDALUMP would like to know any stories about the gown. Are the sheer sleeves embellished with soutache, or are they embroidered? Are the front appliques tape lace batttenburg? What kind of lace is the base of the veil made out of? Detail shots of the beading on the veil.

I did overhear part of a story I believe Darth_Manos's wife was telling as she conducted a tour with a camera crew on opening day. She mentioned that Trisha had found a bedspread that was actually used to make this gown. She showed the bedspread to George and he loved it. She then had used the bedspread pieced together and filled out with beading to construct the gown. I didn't hear what else was used to flesh out the gown though :( I'll try to take a better look at this costume on my next trip. If I had your questions with me I would have asked her once she was done doing the interview.

- Kay Dee

7. Nostradamus Jedi Master

star 4
    I would love to see this costume in person. :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.