main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Wedding Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jedi_Samantha, Apr 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I love it! And I really like the way the paper doll book layout looks. I need two. One to keep and one to punch out the dolls and dress up! [face_blush]

2. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Obi-Dawn I agree with you! lol I wanna play with the paper dolls too!

...5 more days....

3. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Sooo pretty...

Im heading to B&N today and im gonna search for any books....

*Grabs credit card*

Ok im ready!

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm concerned for Samantha's credit card! [face_laugh]

5. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    You're not the only one concerned for her credit card Obi-Dawn [face_laugh] She seems to be using it a lot lately ;) :p

6. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I'm with you, Samantha -- a coworker and I are headed to B&N to hunt for SW books at lunch.

Wooohoooo!

-sg

7. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Samantha I might save you the time by telling you this: B&N won't have them until the 23rd, garaunteed. We talked to someone there last Sat. when it was rumored that they were out. They only had the Graphic Novel out. Everything was under lock and key in the back, and they were all told UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES to release the books early. If they do, they're staring at the business end of a LFL Lawsuit. I think if any books "accidentally" make their way to the selling floor, they are flagged in the computer system as "DO NOT SELL!"

So you probably won't be able to find them! Save yourself the time and give your CC a few more days of rest! LOL [face_clown]

8. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    lol have 2 credit card actually.. one has over 950 dollers left on it and the other only 75....

Im working extra this summer to pay them off after AOTC...at one point both CC were charged up badly!

Ehhh im gonna go anyway... might find something interesting,,,,,

9. jedi_blynnj

jedi_blynnj Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2002
    Now, that I've seen a better detailed picture of this dress. It is the next one on my list! It will take a long time, with beading and lace, but it is so beautiful!

Samantha- I know how you feel. My 2 CC are high too! But with all the new AOTC stuff coming out, I can't help myself. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to work alot to pay them off this summer. Or at least pay off a good chunk of them!

10. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    [image=http://perso.club-internet.fr/willow/SW_E2/E2_0093_2.jpg]

<lots of sighing and swooning>

11. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    Yeah, I'll be crying at the end of the movie.
    And swooning :)

12. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    I owe 427.47 in credit card bills...

*Faints*

and thats before the concert tickets i have to buy this weekend

13. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    I don't know if this has been brought up yet or not, but I just got the "Movie Storybook" which includes pics from the film. On the very last page there is an extreme close up of Padme and Anakin leaning in for the wedding kiss. You can see part of her hat. It's edged in flowered lace and on the actually body of the hat are tight swirls of pearls or pearl like beads (they are not a uniform size...seed pearls, perhaps?).

14. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    Call me an old responsible person, but be careful with the credit card Sam-the idea is how much you have charged to it, not left to charge on it-they should never be maxed, and only used when needed to, like for hotels, and emergencies. My husband was in a downward spiral and in about $15,000 when we met years ago. I just got him straightened out a year and a half ago.
    There are tons of Star Wars things I would like, and fabrics I would love to use, btu that isn't the way to go-the interst on them is outrageous-and they will just keep raising your limit over time, so you get in deeper and deeper and they get more and more of your $$$.
    Now back to topic...the dress is definitely on my to sew list...I haven't yet decided if it will be for me or my daughter Jasmine yet...it may do well at CIII in the child competition, and she would be old enought to wear it then...but then again, Mom likes to dress up too! he he he
    It looks like a combo of pearl colored seed beads, round, and oblong pearls on the headpiece part of the veil. Very nice, very important to get the pattern of them going right...

15. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    QS - Yes i know.... i have a 1,000 credit limit on one card and 200 on another. Plus my birthday is in 1 week so i know i'll have the money to pay it off. I dont charge stuff unless i know i can pay it off within 2 months

16. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    It reminds me of a wedding veil from about the 1920s or 30s. Almost like this
    or this.

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    StormtrooperPrincess, that's exactly what I was thinking of. :)

In the paperdoll book Ian McCaig is quoted as describing the design of this dress as "edgy" because the wedding is a source of conflict and joy.

18. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    :eek: Oh my gosh, the veil cap in that second picture is absolutely breathtaking!! SO BEAUTIFUL!! .... I was SO born in the wrong era. Still, no Star Wars back then, so I guess it's good I'm here now. ;)

kreleia ^.^

19. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Wow... That is SUCH a nice veil!!!!

1920's though... WAY BEFORE my time.....
    Way before my parents time....

and alittle before my grandparents too! lol

20. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    The veil is absolutely beautiful. At least I'll have some inspiration if I ever start this dress. I'll definitely have my work cut out for me if I do. But it's such a beautiful costume that I'm not sure I care about the amount of work involved in it. :)

21. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    This is a perfect future costume for me to do! The actual lines of the dress are really simple-it is just finding the right materials and colors, and all of the beading and pearling-which I would much rather do than harder actual sewing, like the Amidala EpI black travel gown...I like handiwork...
    I can't wait to do this in the future!
    Kreleia, I totally agree about being born in the wrong time...I love fantasy costumes, Star Wars, Ever After, B.S.Dracula, Renaissance wear...why did I have to be born into the times of blue jeans and sneakers???
    Actually...I think I may have to save every high resolution pic of this dress for future use...my daughter is shoe-in for flower girl if there is a wedding in our family any time soon...

22. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    UP!!!! All the Padme threads are dropping. This was on page 4!

Anyone making this dress yet? Or have any new observations?

23. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    hey-I'm on pins and needles like the rest of us about seeing this dress--May 16th is my B-day and I'm going THAT day to buy fabric to make it as soon as I get to see it!!! In re: to the "veil" I used to work in a fabric/bridal shop here in FL and it looks like this italian lace veil called (I think) a mantilla/mandilla (is someone out there italian?) Basically it is a large piece of lace with the edges finished and it is worn over the head, not the face. The are usually made of chantilly lace, but from what I can tell hers looks like it has battenburg edges. It has then been embellished with a ton of pearls making it look clunky and heavy. That's my take so far--but we'll all know soon enough! :)

24. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    Happy Birthday in advance FERDALUMP
    and thanks for the tips on the veil. They're going to come in handy when I start this gown.

25. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    I am waiting unitl AOTC opens and high res pics are up everywhere of this one before I attempt it...too much embroidery and pearls to do it and then see something in a picture you forgot...
    ***SPOILER***
    at least from the book, it doesn't look like the wedding scene will be that long, and it may not get real close up shot-maybe more like in the card at the beginning of this thread...we may have to utilize the internet for this one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.