main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Wedding Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jedi_Samantha, Apr 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    thanks for the B-day greetings!!! I hope we do get more of a glance at the dress than just a snip--I'd say we've earned it!!! Another tip on making the veil--They make heat back pearls in stone sizes from like 6 to 30 and they are flat back pearls with a glue on the back which is activated when the pearl is heated. They are washable and dry-cleanable once affixed. I embellished a veil for a client and had great success with them. Hey, with all that embroidery who has time to sew on a million pearls?? SHHHHHHH! It'll be our secret!! :)

2. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    I saw AOTC yesterday at the Premier. Let me tell you about THE DRESS. There is a sort of overdress made ALL of lace with a kind of underdress of something sheer and silky. The headdress is almost like a mantilla veil except it fits close to Padme's head like a cap. It too is covered all in lace, a really expensive type I can't remember the name of and then the headdress is covered in pearls in a sort of circular or swirling pattern. There is one close up of her and Anakin during the wedding scene but it is not very long.

Oh, the lace is a very open work adn is heavy like cording. It has a special name. I'll try to find out what it's called.

Calixte

3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Yay! Details! Thanks Calixte!
    So, the wedding scene is really short then?
    :(

4. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    YEAH!!! DEATILS! Ok, going to try to jog your memory---the lace? Battenburg, Chantilly, Guipure/Venice, Re-embroidered???? The other part, where you say it's like heavy cording or something--is it like a burn-out? I'm familiar with burn-out velvets where the detail or pattern stays and is made up of the the fabric and the surrounding areas are the existing underfabric ususally something light like a silk chiffon. Also, do you think perhaps the veil is a mantilla with maybe a seam up the center crown giving it a more fitted and cap like appearance? Thanks for the info--can't wait--days are D-R-A-G-G-I-N-G........ :-(

5. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    Thanks for the info on the heat activated pearls...I think I will still go with sewing them on...you can do this in the midst of your embroidery if they are close together...I had great luck doing it this way with the pre-senate kimono sleeves...it makes two different things into one process...and if you convention-you do not have to worry about any coming off.
    I would reccomend anyone doing Padme/Amidala gowons of any sort make a plaster mold of the top of your head like I did to help fit items...it is a big help-you can adjust fit while it is in ffont of you, instead of trying it on over and over.
    No-the wedding scene is really short in the book...so I would assume it will be the same on film.

6. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Queenseamstress thanks for the tips-I do hand smocking on infants clothes and have smocked pearls into the garments with floss and have had success. Was wondering if i could ask you a question about the costume (I think) you wore to CII. Wasn't it the EpI pre-senate oriental looking one w/ the bristle headpiece? I have been hired to recreate this headpiece for someone--I am an expierenced costumer so I have several ideas-but I am kinda locked up on where to find the oval shaped "reflectors" that are on the gold pieces on the sides of the head. Do ya'll have any suggestions? If this is on a differnt thread please let me know.

I have a source here in Florida for high quality fabrics and trims and they mail order- they have real cultured pearls, cases of beaded and sequined bridal laces and they sale Mantillas--Sewing Studio 1-800-831-1492
    no catelog, but tons and tons of wonderful materials. Think their website is www.sewing.net

7. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    Now that I think about, it almost looks like a few different laces are used. On the main dress it sort of looks like Reembroidered lace. The headcovering looks like the kind of lace used in mantilla's but it's hard to tell b/c of all the pearls.

When I find out anything more I'll post here again.

8. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Ferdalump-if you do hand smocking, then you should be making the nightgown and robe...the robe is all handsmocked, and is in a lucious fabric that reflects a lot of colors in the light.
    pm me, and I will give you some tips on the EpI presenate kimono...the headpiece is a real pain, and there is a lot that you can see on it in the archive that does not show up in the movie, or in any photos I have seen.
    What did everyone think of the wedding dress after seeing the movie?

9. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    queenseamstress - Thanks for the tips! I'll keep you posted on the tedious process.

After seeing the movie 3 times now--I feel a little more comfortable saying the majority of the dress is ivory battenburg on a sheer candlelight colored fabric(chiffon /organza/organdy) The Mantilla looks like a lighter candlelight, off white chantilly lace that is heavily beaded with ivory pearls in a circular pattern with beaded flowers towards the back of the head. There is wrist legnth embroirdered sleeves and then much fuller above the elbow sleeves which appear to be a over coat looking thing that also makes up the short (2ft) train.

I don't know this is 100% accurate (probably not) but it's the best I can tell so far. A few more viewings I guess ***twisting my arm--Don't make me go*****HA HA!!

From the sheer moments we see of it I LOVE IT!!! I just wish I could enjoy the moment instead of studying the dress so hard( I didn't even see Anakin's robotic hand until the third viewing -because I couldn't stop looking at the dress)

:)---FERD

10. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Ferdalump, you pretty much confirmed all of the details I had thought I noticed about this dress, so thanks! Good to know someone else is seeing what I'm seeing. ;)

The second time I saw the movie was when I really noticed all those tiny beaded flowers at the crown of the veil piece -- I think I actually blurted out "Omigod!" as I was trying to get my mind around just how densely laid they are.

I'm not really into lace, so one part of me is thinking that this is not a good candidate for a future project. But, I AM into details and handwork, so another part of me is very drawn to it. Since my costuming plate is full at the moment, I'll have a while to think on it.

I'm really hoping that Lucasarts will put out another "Insider's Guide" CD-ROM for Ep. II like they did for TPM. It had some really cool pictures for costume reference. I actually emailed them last week and asked about it, but I haven't heard anything back. Oh, well.

QS, will this be the next costume you tackle?
    ;)

-sg

11. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    sg-I am not sure...I am definitely going to make this one...but maybe not next...I have some minor sewing projects to do while I think on it...I did see some perfect black mesh for $1 a yard that would gmake a great Oola costume, if I can talk someone into wearing it...
    I noticed the flowers on it right off...and then the sheer sleeves...I think I am in love with the veil more than anything...

12. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    for those of you wondering what type of lace was used on the main dress: i THINK it's a Venise lace. I'm checking to make sure..but that's what it looks like to me.

check out the following link:
    http://www.touchoflace.com/laces.htm

or it may be corded lace. check here:
    http://www.hansson-silks.co.uk/catalogue.html

be sure to check out their embroidered and beaded silks while there! they are amazing.

The veil is definitely a modified mantilla. I saw the movie again tonight and got a good look at it from the back. it has the triangle shape that most mantilla's have when laid flat. then they stitched it somehow to make it fit Padme's head like a cap.

Cali

Cali

13. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Qs-I think the veil was my favorite part of the dress too. At first I wasn't too sure about it, but after seeing it on the big screen I fell in love with it. It is really beautiful.

14. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    oh gosh, I HAVE to make this dress! But I seriously doubt if my mom would let me, she says that I don't need a wedding dress until I get married! And that will be awhile, I'm only turning sixteen next month!

15. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    oh gosh, I HAVE to make this dress! But I seriously doubt if my mom would let me, she says that I don't need a wedding dress until I get married! And that will be awhile, I'm only turning sixteen next month! But I'll probably try and do it anyway. Gosh, so many new costumes,so little time!

16. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    LOL, Princess I know what you mean! I told my husband that it is my ultimate goal to make all of Padme's costumes from this movie. He just rolled his eyes [face_clown] As long as he can wear his Jedi garb he's happy, I guess!

17. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Has anyone found anymore pics of this dress since the movie is out now-and it's not a secret anymore? I have the paper doll and have seen the far away view on the padawan's guide--but I need details!!!!!

p.s. don't feel silly for being too young to need a wedding dress-I've been married 6 years and still can't shake the need to have this dress (what for I'm not sure!!)

:) FERD

18. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    UP!
    Ya'll can't be tired of talking about this dress already!!!! :) ;-) :)

19. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Still no new pics or news about this dress??? I'm just dying to make it-but haven't seen enough yet--will we ever???

20. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    We may not get anymore from this dress until the DVD Ferd :( I hope that's not true though, I'd really like to see more of the dress too.

21. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    If they do another DVD like they did for TPM, we may see pics on there.

22. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    While wandering around Wal-Mart last night, I found an almost-decent illustration of the wedding dress in a coloring book of all places. It's the coloring book with Padme on one side, Anakin on the other. The illustration is almost exactly in the middle, three pages before the upside-down Anakin half. The innermost sleeve layer is obviously wrong when compared to the paper doll, but it shows the design on the front of the undergown. It may be of some help.

23. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Thanks for the heads up, StormtrooperPrincess! I've been debating over grabbing a copy of that coloring book... now I have an excuse. :p

-sg

24. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    I bought my 6 year old cousin the coloring book a little while back--I then noticed that it had this great picture so I asked her if I could have that one page--She said it was her favorite dress and I'd have to get my own book! See if I buy her something again! LOL!! Oh well, I guess all us girls, no matter what age have a soft spot for a wedding dress! [face_love]

25. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    *laugh* I was told I needed to make this dress for my wedding. Which won't be for another two years, at least.

And my excuse for buying coloring books? Easy stress therapy. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.