main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Wedding Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jedi_Samantha, Apr 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Two years sounds like a just the right amount of time to do all that handwork, StormtrooperPrincess. ;)

-sg

2. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    I have been lurking this threadfor a while.
    I have been approached to re-create this dress for an actual wedding. No date has been set yet. It could be several years.
    The person who desires the dress may not want to use the veil. I think the veil is very important to the design of the costume/dress. We will have to discuss it after definite plans are made. It needs the veil.

3. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Everybody wants to be a Star Wars bride! I have been commissioned to make this gown for a collector to display. I have been collecting vintage laces and trims and have a french lace mantilla (the veil makes the dress!!) I am using silk for the underdress--and get so excited just looking at the materials. I have started beading (pearling) some of it, and it looks great. Bad thing--Is that it is truly a one-of-kind garment because the laces are vintage--some dating back to 1904!!!! Although once I'm finished with it, I won't want to make another one--It's very very detailed!!! I will post pics as soon as I can. Wish me luck as I go broke buying movie tickets to get a better look at it. [face_love] [face_love] <3 FERD

4. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, at the rate I typically do handwork, we might have to postpone the wedding a few years!

The veil is probably the one reason I would attempt this dress. It reminds me so much of the 1920s and 30s cloche veils, which I love. And honestly, the only drawback to making this would be that we both want a fairly casual wedding, and this might be too formal for that. But I have two years to finagle that. ;)

Although, I could always just create an "inspired by" dress... The veil and a lace overgown over a simpler underdress. I'll have to spend a long time thinking this over.

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Here's sort of a close-up:

pic

6. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Good pic Obi-Dawn. For some reason, I'm not too crazy about the veil, but I love the dress as a whole. Another dress to add to my "must sew" list. I think I'm becoming a costuming addict. Oh well.

7. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/anakinskywalker/img/movie5_bg.jpg]

8. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    The veil is definitely what makes the dress...it would not be right without it.
    It is a very face framing design-and would be wonderful in a real wedding with very soft natural colors in makeup.
    I had to get the coloring book also...I am a total kid who likes coloring anyway...the reference material was just a bonus!
    I am going to wait for the dvd to make this one...although Mrs.M had a great shot of the veil...

9. Julia_aka_JJ

Julia_aka_JJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    I saw that coloring book when I went to K-mart a few days ago ? retched place ? I?m such a Target fan, LOL.

Although this might be a pretty good reference, the dresses in it are not very accurate. First off, they make Padmé appear too tall, and very stocky ? if that?s the right word for it. The dresses are noticeably incorrect. Although they do resemble the outfits that she wears, the detail is less than good quality. They aren?t true to the actual dress, might make your dress wrong too. But, that?s just my two cents.

A great example is from Alluring Amidala. If I'm doing this wrong; then oops. I'm a computer genius, but an internet dumby. Your just going to have to check it in a new window because I don't want to muff up Alluring Amidala's hot-linking-whatchamacallit issue thing. LOL! :p

http://www.geocities.com/alluringamidala/coloringpages.html

But hey, it?s Star Wars and a coloring book all in one ? fun-fun! If I had the money to spend on Star Wars stuff, my room would be Star Wars haven. Colored pages would be taped all over the wall. Ah, the days of youthful Star Wars love!

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, some of those coloring book illustrations are rather suspect. Of course, I had to buy it anyway. [face_mischief]

11. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Oh, I know to never trust coloring book images as the best illustration. They're designed for little kids to be able to color, so clothing, etc. is simplified. Even comparing the Amidala costumes in the SW coloring book to the paper doll shows how inaccurate the clothing is. This particular coloring book image, however, shows a decent portion of the basic shape and design of the dress that we haven't been able to get from other sources. Mainly because there's no color to confuse the eye about which part of the dress is showing. And that's why I mentioned it. Even if reference pictures aren't completely correct, it's good to collect as many as possible for comparison.

And thanks for the link. :)

EDIT: I realize how snotty that must sound. Sorry. Today's just been a very long day, especially for a birthday.

12. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    WhatWhatWhat?

Is it your birthday, StP?

Happy Happy birthday!

(I know, this paltry little greeting won't fix your day, but hopefully, it'll help a teeny tiny bit.)

-sg

13. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Happy belated birthday Sp :) Hope today is better than yesterday :)

14. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    HaPpY BiRtHdAy! :) :) :)
    Hope all your wishes come true!
    -FERD

15. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Thanks. *smile* My night greatly improved after getting this e-card. *grin* Maybe I should have checked my e-mail before posting. ;)

16. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    That was a pretty good card...

(After rummaging around the house-QS smashes leftover candle from Raiden's birthday party into the top of a Little Debbie Fudge Round)

Sorry, that is the best I could do on short notice...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

17. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    Another great veil pic
    [image=http://www.starwarskids.com/ecard/epii_again/img/love_stories.jpg]

18. PrincessTinian

PrincessTinian Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2002
    Hello to everyone. Okay, this is rather bold of me (considering I'm new around here), but here goes. I am wondering if there is anyone who would want to make a replica of this absolutely wonderful dress for me. Yes, I know how difficult it would be, and time-consuming, but perhaps someone would love to take on the challenge. At a price, I know. There, I said it. Now go on with your business. Unless... Maybe you aren't out there, but if you are, let me know.

19. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Considering this is a VERY involved project--I personally would shop around. There was a thread going a little while back (maybe several pages back) which says Seamstress For Hire Wanted--check there--several people have listed their sites and expertise.

Good Luck!!

20. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    This is also a dress and veil which would require a lot of measurements and fittings to your body-everything from your backwaist measurement, sleeve length, head circumference, hem length...it would require much more involvement from you besides your dress size. I would also expect to pay hundreds of dollars plus cost of *correct* materials...most all of the beads, pearls, and trims must be done completely by hand and not machine...

21. PrincessTinian

PrincessTinian Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2002
    Thank you for the insightful tips. I'm grateful.

22. ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl

ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2002
    Ok Stormtrooper Princess asked for me to come here and show you what I have found..

Here it is..

Ok, well this is somthing I might do and I have begun to work on it......

I was searching on Butterick and I have decided to make Padme's wedding dress.

I have found a wonderful picture of it in the paper doll book and I have been using it as my base.

I have not found yet the pretty coat and vail but I may have found a nice replica of the under dress...

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.6387=x&TI=10090&pageNum=6&M=&UK=10994562

It needs to be V-cut. This was a pattern I saw that could be the coat. Needs a-LOT of alters to it....

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.5885=x&TI='5885'&pageNum=1&M=&UK=10994562

This one here the white cape, needs sleves! I could sew it toegether to make sleves...but here..

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.3345=x&TI='3345'&pageNum=1&M=&UK=10994562

Oh I have found the dress for the sterage yellow dress worn when travling to Naboo.

Here:

Simplicity>Design Search>8735>Upper Right hand corner.

Byy getting rid of the square neckline, I can make the dress look exactly like in the movie....

I now am searching for the Blue Dress. But i cannot find decent pictures.

23. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Actually, Butterick 6387 wouldn't be that bad for the underdress. The others would need a lot of work to get the sleeves right, in my opinion. ( And the sleeves are an issue in themselves. While the paperdoll shows one layer of sleeves for the robe, the coloring book shows two plus a very flared gown sleeve, and I don't remember how many you could glimpse on screen, since it's been a while since I've seen the movie.)

Ferd, surlygurlie, and queenseamstress: I just bought the mini Padme puzzle, and the right side of it is a beaded design in ivory. I trust y'all's judgement on this better than mine: could it be the front of the wedding gown?

24. ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl

ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2002
    I HAVE FOUND THE VEIL PART!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a link.......

http://www.bridalcreations.com/page13.html

25. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    StormtrooperPrincess, I dug out my Padme puzzle and took a peek -- I think that is actually the beading from the front of the packing dress. It's also featured on the back of the dustjacket for the novelization, and in that appearance, it's more apparent that it has some blue beading on it, and eventually fans out into the blue tendrils at the top.
    Good catch, though, just the same. :)

-sg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.