Padme Amidala Padme's Wedding Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jedi_Samantha, Apr 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl Jedi Master

star 4
  2. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Some great new pics of this elusive dress just posted here:

click me

FERD :)
  3. afaeryschild Force Ghost

star 1
    [image=http://www.chud.com/chudvd/reviews/images4/aotc_dvd_bts_padme.jpg]
    new stunning image
  4. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    WOW, afaeryschild, that is a GREAT picture!
    Suddenly, this dress just got a lot more interesting...

Thanks for posting it!

-sg
  5. Spitsweet Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Yes ...absolultly more interesting......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am breathless...that site even have picture of the Deleted Blue dress for Padme...
  6. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    Ahhh, it's so beautiful, I really hope that the DVD will provide us with some full body pics now.
  7. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    That is soooo beautiful!
  8. Jedi_Samantha Jedi Master

star 4
    Another absolutly beautiful shot....mmm
  9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Wow! Who knew it could get even more beautiful?!? I can't stop drooling......
  10. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    From Mythmaking: Behind the Scenes of Attack of the Clones, page 198:

"The scene, though brief, gave Trisha Biggar and her costume crew an opportunity to create a stunningly beautiful wedding gown for Padmé. 'The wedding dress was very important,' Biggar noted. 'But since it was a private wedding, George didn't want the dress to be too grand or elaborate. He wanted simple shapes and clean lines, with a slight Edwardian feel.'

"Dissatisfied with the laces and fabrics she had culled from all over the world, Biggar wound up creating the dressout of a hundred-year-old bedspread. 'We found the bedspread in an antiques shop in Australia,' Biggar said, 'and we incorporated the panels of that with a very fine embroidered silk net. It was off-white, and because it was on such fine net, you could see through it to areas of the skin. The final effect was a gown with very simple lines, with an antique feel to it, but at the same time it was quite intricate, and you couldn't quite put your finger on what it was made of.' Portman also wore an Edwardian-style headdress and veil in the wedding scene."
  11. afaeryschild Force Ghost

star 1
    you can go here to see
    the full front of the dress
    and two more pics!!
  12. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    Thanks for the links!

To be honest, until today, I really didn't like this dress, becuase all we saw was the headpiece, and I really really really don't like the headpiece. I'm not a big fan of lace.

HOWEVER the dress itself is georgious, I love the swirly pattern on it. [face_love]

I still hate the veil. 8-}

~H~
  13. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    afaeryschild, once again, you're on the spot with new pics!

This dress is getting to be more fascinating... I can't decide if It's moving higher on my list of possible projects or lower. Historically, I'm not wild about lace... but I love all the curlicues and swirl patterns on the underdress/front panel SO much.
    Oh, well, I've got plenty of time to decide while I thrittle ahead with other projects...

-sg
  14. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    Aren't those pictures wonderful? They're the entire reason I bought the book Saturday. :)
    Now to find myself a 100-year-old bedspread from Australia....
  15. Julia_aka_JJ Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow, I just can't stay quiet for much longer! It's just soooo gorgeous! Yesterday when I saw those pics for the first time, I swear that I studied/stared at them without blinking for a good five minutes. ;)

And now we get to see it's real color. I always figured that it was more off-white and creamy colored, but in the lighting given, it looks indeed very white.

*squeak* It's soooo beautiful! I'm so breathlessly in awe!
  16. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
  17. afaeryschild Force Ghost

star 1
    StormtrooperPrincess,
    AWESOME pic!! Thanks for posting it!!
    It actually is new, though similiar
    to earlier ones.. This one finally
    shows the fabric the 'jacket' is made
    from.

Been doing some research on the
    lace for the veil and I have come
    to believe that it is probably
    made of Irish Net, or Crochet, Lace.

Here are some pics of that kind
    of lace 1, 2, 3 and the book
  18. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    If anyone sees anything new on the wedding dress please keep me posted. I'm always looking for the newest image out there!

Thanks!
  19. Julia_aka_JJ Jedi Knight

star 1
    So now that we have so many gorgeous pics, who is thinking that this'll be their next project?
  20. QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oooh, I don't know...I doubt I'll ever be making this costume. It looks really difficult because I've never sewed anything with lace before.
  21. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    Possibly going to use it as my wedding dress in a few years, if I don't go with something similar to Leia's ceremonial gown. (Not because they're SW gowns, but because they're just pretty.)
  22. katha Force Ghost

star 2
    wow I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. Well, I did see someone quote that this dress was in the Edwardian style. In fact the veil is very very much like that worn by the queen mother (a.k.a.) Queen Elizabeth II's mother (also named Elizabeth)

I've seen pics around I'll try to find one and post but since no one had mentioned this yet I thought I'd let you all know

Edit: There it is on padawansguide.com

[image=http://padawansguide.com/gifs/queenmother.jpg]
  23. Nostradamus Jedi Master

star 4
    ...it also mentions that the dress was made from an antique quilt that they found in Australia. The under sleeves seem to be a very sheer lace with patterns woven in.

Yes, I am back to looking at this one again.

The DVD will be out next week and I have received yet an other request for this dress.
    I may try to make one for Quincy to see what kinds of materials I can find that will be suitable and how I can put it together.
    I know the materials alone for this will be hundreds of dollars. There will also be hundreds of hours of work to do a fairily accurate recreation.

24. QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Knight

star 2
    Okay guys. You know on the actual white dress part of this costume, how in the front it has that embroidery or something on it? What would you guys suggest for that?
  25. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    QueenLaniAmidala, I actually think that like the rest of the embellishments on this dress, the embroidery or applique (I really really think it's applique, but I still need to do more research to be absolutely certain) on the front of the gown is actually done on a layer of sheer fabric that overlays the white/pale ivory underdress. If you look at the full front picture of the gown, you can see the hem of the sheer outer layer hanging just below the hem of the heavier fabric underneath.

-sg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.