main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Wedding Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jedi_Samantha, Apr 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Good luck with the fabric search! Can't wait to see what you find, and how the finished dress turns out. :)

2. LeTrousseau

LeTrousseau Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2002
    I found Simplicity Style Pattern that has the right Princess lines, neckline, long sleeve adn train!

Simplicity Style #9162.

I am working on a test model right now to see how it will turn out.

I am new to this board, but know Koshka from Sensibility board and am looking forward to sharing in the threads if that's okay!

my website address: www.lapetitetrousseau.com

3. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    I FOUND FABRIC! I am so excited.

4. LeTrousseau

LeTrousseau Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2002
    Here's my yahoo photo album address:
    the pictures are in the Star Wars album!
    Silly me!
    http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/czechmate10/

5. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I just got a message last night from my fabric supplier that there is no more of the fabric. I have the last of it.
    I an other dress on the table right now, so when the time comes, I will have to be very careful with this one.

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    LeTrosseau, thank you for sharing your wonderful pictures with us all! Your work is just beautiful! :D

7. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Nice Titanic dresses Le Trousseau!
    Your SW EP II costumes are nice too!

8. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    In case you haven't seen it yet, SW.Com has this picture of the Padme wedding 3 3/4" figure up.

I could definitely do without that bouquet, thank you.

-sg

9. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Just had a look. Yep, I agree--the bouquet should be dropped. They didn't use one in the film, so why use it for the action figure...

10. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Ewww, I hope the bouquet is removable. It hides so much of the dress detailing... And it's just kind of... ugly.

But other than that it's really cool that they chose this dress for an action figure, even if all you can do with it is study costume details and act out the wedding scene repeatedly. Or use it as a cake topper.

11. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Yuuuuuck! I agree, those flowers have gotta go.

Im really looking forward to seeing this toy in person; I tend to reserve judgement on figures till I can see them with my own eyes; the prototypes can look completely different than what comes out in the stores.

12. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Hmmm...

Looking at it again, if the figure comes with the bit of scenery, I would want to stick that bouquet in the vase on the balustrade. Then I'd be happy with it.

With any luck, maybe the vase will be hollow enough that you could do that... :)

13. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Well, if the vase isn't hollow enough, you could always whittle down the stem of the flowers until they fit! Or carve out the vase until it IS hollow enough.

It would be super keen if the figure came with that scenery... here's hoping!

14. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    It looks to me as if the scenery has a little 'lip' on the bottom side of it so it can connect with anouther piece of scenery. Tell me, are they doing an Anakin figure? I bet they would connect.

Then again, I could be wrong. :p

15. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    I think they are doing the Anakin figure, with his new arm. I hope the expression on her face is a little nicer on the actual one. I like the balcony. liannb

16. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Good Lord! It looks like she's holding a shrubbery!

Caitlin

17. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    ...cake topper! Great idea!

What bothers me is that with all of this new computer sculpting technology the toy companies have, why can't the face look more like Padme's?

LOL! Wedding "Action" figures.

I will have to buy one though, so I will be able to see what not to do on my version of this costume.

18. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    "What do you want?"
    "We want... a shrubbery!"

(Sorry, Jaina's comment reminded me of that...[face_blush])

19. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    ROFL!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I have to agree... the bouquet is awful. Her face is bad too, like Nos mentioned. **sigh**

Current debate: I'm the maid-of-honor for a friend who is getting married at ComiCon this year. :D So, do I do this dress for her, or the White Parade Gown (since I'm a doing a new one for me anyway)?

Opinions?

20. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Wow, kreleia, what a choice!
    Has your friend voiced any opinion on which she would like to have?
    It would seem that if you're going for a super accurate dress, the parade gown already has the benefit of your previous version and all your ongoing research, but then, Padme's wedding gown is so distinctive...
    Ok, I think I'm no help here...
    ;)

-sg

21. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000

I saw an almost perfect drapery fabric last weekend. It is $14 per yard. It has a perfect non-floral design woven in to the fabric. It is the right color.
    I think that this fabric might work for the body of the dress...........It MAY work, but $14 per yard is a big expenditure for an experiment.
    I am not sure if the detail of this fabric would be lost under the sheer. I was planning on taking a piece of the sheer to the fabric store to see what happens. Depending on how I end up designing & cutting the pattern, I would probably need 6 yards for the dress.
    I was not planning on going to the fabric store this weekend.............

I am working on my extreme can can right now.

I have done a lot of the beading for parts of the wedding costume's head piece already.
    My main hold-up for working on this is locating the right dress fabric and then figuring out what to do for the designs that go down the center of the dress. .....and then, of course, time. :(

Geez. I don't seem to remember Padme ever holding any sort of bouquet during any part of their ceremony.

22. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    As I suspected, the detail in the fabric I saw is lost under the sheer layer. :(

I will keep looking.

23. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    sg, you're so right. Such a tempting possibility. BUT, after talking to my friend, she's leaning more toward the White Parade Gown. :) It'll keep things a bit simpler (yay!), and I'll be able to add some personalized "just for her" touches that wouldn't be on just a replica costume. Example: I won't be doing the front panel "giant tie" piece. Instead, I think I'm gonna do some beading and embroidery to personalize it for her. It's gonna be fun! :D

24. katha

katha Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    kreleia would you be doing the petal cape or just the dress underneat for the parade gown?

My wedding is fast approaching. I bought my dress but it reminds me a bit of padme's wedding dress. If I can ever manage to get pictures of it (my future mother-in-law is wating to see it) I'll post them here.

25. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    I'll be doing the petal cape too. :) The thing about that particular part, though, is that it's mine and will be after the wedding too. I'm completely re-doing my White Parade gown since the old one is shot (big ol' fabric rip at one of the seams, petals fraying badly at bottom of cape). I'm doing a new under-dress for me, and a second under-dress that is all for my friend, though. So, for the front panel part that actually shows, I'm going to do beading and embroidery there for her. I don't think she'll be wearing the Amidala makeup either. She just wants it themed as Star Wars - not down-to-the-last-detail Star Wars.

Still, at some point, I may be tempted to do Padmé's wedding dress... the veil is what bekons to me the most. **drool**

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.