main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padwan Lightsabers.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Love-Ash, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Love-Ash

Love-Ash Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    I thought that by building one's lightsaber, that completes the padawans training as a jedi like it said in the Cartoon Network Clone war series, but in the movies, I have seen very young padawans being taught lightsaber combat by master Yoda. Can anyone elaborate this?

'

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I always assumed that they had a bunch of training sabers to use for the Younglings. That way, they can just use them over and over again for all the kids that go through training, and they can have them set at a low power so they don't injure themselves or each other.

3. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    ^ Bingo =D=

4. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    obi wan and anakin had their own sabers (which they built) when they were padawans as we've seen in ep1 and 2.
    bulding a saber dosen't complete a jedis training.

5. KIN

KIN Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2005
    building a saber is just one of the skills a padawan must learn before becoming a jedi.

6. Mastermorgan

Mastermorgan Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    The Masters decide when the padawans are ready to have their own lightsabers. They have them at normal power during missions, but when they spar with each other they have them on low power. As for the Younglings, they just use those lightsabers temporarily when they are traning.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Building a lightsaber is part of Jedi training, yes, but not the final step. Recall that Padawan Obi-Wan had his own lightsaber in TPM, and Anakin likewise in AotC. Neither were full Jedi yet.

As for the younglings, as others have said, those were probably sabers permanently low powered that they used for many younglings, perhaps even being used by multiple younglings in the same day.

EDIT: i cant spell.

8. magicfann

magicfann Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Yoda probably just gave them training sabers.

9. Jikit

Jikit Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2005
    training sabers. That's the obvious answer to this question.

10. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    Yep. They barely break the skin.

They also use these training sabers for tournaments between younglings.

11. Darth_Veliz

Darth_Veliz Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    Padawans start their training at a very early age. Padawan younglings can start learning the basics of lightsaber wielding as early as four or five. However, it is possible for a Padawan to make mistakes. These training lightsabers are specially designed to feel and look like a standard lightsaber without the ability to cut through objects. Rather they do give an unpleasant reminder not to come into contact with the blade. They are also downsized to better fit into youngling hands. One training lightsaber in particular was built to pay homage to a fallen Jedi, Qui Gon Jinn, the first Jedi know to be killed by a Sith in a millenia.

Here is the link to where I found this info http://www.thelightsaber.com/IndexFolder/index2.htm

12. JediStarKiller

JediStarKiller Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    hahaha...
    they use Yoda's spare lightsabers...all 55 of them!

13. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    I thought that by building one's lightsaber, that completes the padawans training as a jedi like it said in the Cartoon Network Clone war series, but in the movies, I have seen very young padawans being taught lightsaber combat by master Yoda. Can anyone elaborate this?

Well, that's because it was wrong. From evidence in the movies, Jedi's don't seem to be as attached to thier lightsabers as the fanboys think. Yes, the lightsaber is "thier life" as Obi-Wan said in AOTC, but they don't seem to care which one they use. Learning how to build one is part of the training, but it's the Jedi trials that complete the training. If the padawan succedes(sp)he's granted knighthood. As a matter of fact, all four of Grievious lightsaber's where identical hilts to other Jedi, two being Anakin and Obi-Wan,seen in the movie so even that isn't an individual thing.

Padawans start their training at a very early age. Padawan younglings can start learning the basics of lightsaber wielding as early as four or five. However, it is possible for a Padawan to make mistakes. These training lightsabers are specially designed to feel and look like a standard lightsaber without the ability to cut through objects. Rather they do give an unpleasant reminder not to come into contact with the blade. They are also downsized to better fit into youngling hands. One training lightsaber in particular was built to pay homage to a fallen Jedi, Qui Gon Jinn, the first Jedi know to be killed by a Sith in a millenia.

Show me proof of this, from the movies, not some fanboys site.

14. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Be careful of your comments. Much of the information about the significance of lightsabers is EU material and needs to be treated as such. If you don't like the EU stuff or only like some of it, you need to respect the fact that others do and will post information from it.

15. JediPloJoon

JediPloJoon Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2005
    What is "EU"???

16. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Expanded Universe. The books, comics, and general storylines of games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.