main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pagan Paths

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Java_Jedi, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Java_Jedi

Java_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    There are "creation myths" in Roman and Greek lore... Some Africian... Haven't read any celtic on creation, tons on Ragnorok, but not creation.

Edit::: Double check dragonic pantheion [spl]

2. Runaway_Shadow

Runaway_Shadow Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    I knew it was something like that, but I wasn't sure

3. Jenavira

Jenavira Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 1998
    Well, I finally found time to read this month's Cauldron & Candle, and lo and behold, there was actually a really wonderful article this month.

Defending Reconstructionism

I really liked several of the points the author made, especially about Recons being viewed as "mean". I wouldn't neccesarily consider myself a Recon, but I'm also certainly not an eclectic of the "throw together whatever we feel like" sort either. The only real contact I've had with Recons is on the beliefnet.com boards, where they are, well...mean.

I highly suggest this to anyone who's been curious about Recons and how they're percieved in the general community.

(This thread will not die!)

Jenavira

4. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    Greetings and Namaste all.. :) :) :)

The next Holiday is slowly creeping up on us. I was wondering if you guys have special plans for Fall Exq. or Shamian.

Here we are planning to do up one last big harvest on the Eqx. and start the drying. I was also thinking about doing a huge pot of harvest stew. Yummy!!!

Well... hope you guys are doing well... and can wait to hear from ya.

5. Jenavira

Jul 26, 1998
    I hate it when I forget about these things...

Sadly enough, next weekend is *busy* for me in the mundane sphere, so I doubt I'll be doing a lot...Does anyone have some meditations they particularly like on the fall equinox? I've never really gotten in to this one much, I'll admit.

Jenavira

6. -Morgaine-

-Morgaine- Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2002
    Has anyone seen Mists of Avalon and what do you think of the movie?

I have a class called Celtic languages and cultures and my teacher doesn't like Pagan, New Age and people who watched mists of Avalon, Don't ask me why :D

Needless to say she doesn't like me...

7. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    Try explaining to people that your ancestry is Indo-Aryan! :D See how many raised eyebrows you get... Most people are either:

1. Perplexed that you call yourself Aryan and yet have tan skin, brown eyes and brown hair.

2. Horrified that you'd identify with these "White supremacists".

:D

8. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    Try telling people you are Albanian and like homer simpson they wonder why i dont have pale skin and pink eyes.

9. Karjalas

Karjalas Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2002
    -Morgaine-, I have also met people who were very competent in a certain field - even culture or spirituality - but had very narrow spritual views.

They spoke of Arians here. I remember that Hitler chose Swastika as his "logo", while Swastika is an ancient, respected, positive, indian symbol.

Why should we wonder about others? :)

10. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    Interesting side track on the thread, but ...

OK... with Samhain just around the corner... anyone have special plans?

My guys will be doing trick or treat this year. After we will be having the yearly (new trad.) get together at our place. There are a couple of us who are a bit more sensitive when it comes to the veil. I find it very interesting to see how open minded some ppl get this time of year. PPl that would never even consider asking about loved ones seem to do so quite easily.

11. Jenavira

Jul 26, 1998
    Just hauling this thread back up from the abyss - five more days to get your Samhain plans worked out! I happen to be at a school without a decent-sized Pagan population, so I'm back to the solitary introspection ritual. I've always found that Samhain is one of the best opportunities for self-reflection.

Hallowe'en, on the other hand, seems to have been preempted by the Rocky Horror Picture Show. ;) Well, there are costumes involved - doesn't that count?

Jenavira

12. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    I was begining to think the thread was dead for good.;)

Nice to see you again.

wow... Samhain...Halloween... Fun time.

Each year we go trick or treating ( the kids do at least... we raid teh bags later;) ) Once the little ones are off to bed I usually kick back with friends and see who or what shows but. Last year it was very busy. I guess the veil was thinker than nor. (even for this time of year)

Hopefully this year will be more on the quiet side. Many of the ppl in my Chapter will be heading to Toronto for the opening of AOTC at Imax. I guess that counts as dressing up too...

As far as ritual... well... some non-alcho apple wine, candles, celtic music, and then just leave it to the universe to tell me what is needed. I might do some work on my BOS that night. Have to see if I'm " inspired". :)
    Hope you holiday goes well... great to hear from you.

13. DesignSith

DesignSith Jedi Master star 2

Feb 12, 2000
    Doing my part to keep the thread alive...

Mists of Avalon: It LOOKED right. It was beautifully filmed. But the script? They took out huge chunks of the plot, including major characters AND major motivations, wired it together as to smack the audience upside the head with the goddess lives on 'message', and basically, if I wasn't a complete cynic it would have made me cry. (And Joan Allen should have been Viviane. Any hack could have done the Morgause they wrote, and Angelica Huston overplayed the role.) But boy, Lancelot was pretty! Thankfully he got a decent job after Mists so I can admire him regularly.

Samhain? I'm not too sure yet what I'm going to do the night itself. I'm working that night (and I mean NIGHT... I get off at about 2am), so I'll probably have a little ritual in the wee hours... I did go to my group's big party Saturday, but it felt... lacking.

I even have a new years resolution.... I'm going to try and start writing and meditating more regularly, as I have a lot of stuff to work through. Been doing a lot of (mundane) cleaning and organizing type things. General boring newbie type stuff.

14. Runaway_Shadow

Jun 25, 2002
    Sorry, haven't been around much!

How's everyone doing? I'm looking foreward to Samhain. Only thing is I have a exam the next day, so I'm studying really hard.

On Samhain I always remember relatives who are passed away. Mainly my granfather.

It's also the Celtic New Year!

15. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    LOL... Mist of Avalon... I love that movie.
    Granted, it's not the best depiction of early pagans, but at least Arthur isn't a goodie two shoes with some mistical sword he pulls a kid. ;)

Anyway... lol... Happy New Year All... !!!

16. Jenavira

Jul 26, 1998
    Mists of Avalon was so pretty...I must confess to never having read the book(s), so I can't attest to its accuracy, but I loved it for what it was. :)

I suddenly have a lot of reading material to take up time tomorrow afternoon - through some providence, I have no class and virtually no work to do, so I'm digging into "Drawing Down the Moon" as well as some interesting meditations I found online. I've been meaning to work on magical technique for quite some time; Samhain seems a good time to kick-start the habit. :)

Keeping the thread alive,
    Jenavira

17. Runaway_Shadow

Jun 25, 2002
    Happy New Year, I guess :D

So what's everyone doing tonight?

18. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    Got roped into playing teh local " john Edwards" again... not that I mind all that much, but I don't care for the presure. I was very inclined to saty home... alone(after kiddy bed time) and hang with an old friend while the veil is thin. Maybe do some work in the BOS. Alas... For some strange reason ppl seem more open to what is possible on this night.

Happy New year all... and Have a great Night.

19. Runaway_Shadow

Jun 25, 2002
    Question: Someone told me Samhain is a God in Celtic mythology and on october 31 is killed by Danu... I was taught all diffrent that thinking Samhain is a god is wrong, because it's the sun who dies...

Help me out, because I'm outnumbered :D Am I right or wrong?

20. Runaway_Shadow

Jun 25, 2002
    Nevermind. I found it!

Where is everybody?

21. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    No clue where everyone is hiding ...lol...

Ahhhhh the age old question about the great Lord Samhain.... lol... I get that every year...
    Just to clearify....

Samhain is not the name of a god or enity of any kind.!!! Samhain means " summers end" in the old tongue. It was celibrated to honor the changing seasons and those who have gone before us.

Hope everyone's Halloween went well. It was pretty quiet here... thank goodness.
    Anyone see any really cute costumes this year. The winners here were... French Toast... and A toasted Western. ;)

22. Runaway_Shadow

Jun 25, 2002
    See, I knew it. I knew already, but the other had such good arguments I was beginning to doubt.

23. Jenavira

Jul 26, 1998
    Actually, I noticed a reference in...a WitchVox article?...about Samhain as a very, very minor figure in Celtic mythology. Had a cow stolen by Balor of the Evil Eye. (I don't have a text with an index right to hand, so I don't have anything to check it off of right now.) He most certainly wasn't God of the Dead or any such thing, though.

Jenavira

24. DesignSith

DesignSith Jedi Master star 2

Feb 12, 2000
    Our costume contest winner was the Devil.

I know, I know... but he had a really good costume. Besides, nothing beats a victory dance with Rob Zombie to 'It's Christmastime in Hell.'

25. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    Jen...
    Not to put it down in the least, but I have never put a whole lot of stock in info from Witchvox. while they do have great links and some very handy info, there is little or no checking of credibility. Anyone from anywhere can submit to it. Personally, when I started out I heard the same thing... Samhian... lord of the dead. But I take very little at face value and cross creck things mersilessly [spl]. What I did find was the translation. Samhain = summer's end in old tongue. With so little true knowledge of actual history ( namely... no one is old enough to have been there) it's easy to see why there are so many ways to look at it. ;)

Hope you had a great holiday though. take care and ttyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.