main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pagan Paths

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Java_Jedi, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Ditto what Breezy said.

I was a Dianic Wiccan for awhile, but where I come from, I couldn't even let people know that I followed that faith. And someone needs to tell people that pagans do not worship Satan, dammit. :mad:

Right now I'm Unitarian--there are tenets of all faiths, including Christianity, which I was raised on, in my belief system.

2. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    "I haven't heard of any of those. What are they about?"

As Force_Prophet said, the first one is about Arthur's apprenticeship to the Druid Merlyn. I have yet to rully read the second one, but I think it's about Arthur's adulthood.

3. Obi-Bon_Giovi

Obi-Bon_Giovi Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2002
    I was just wondering if there are any other followers of the ancient Egyptian religion? I have yet to meet someone else, and yet have seen it mentioned in this thread...

4. Force_Prophet

Force_Prophet Jedi Master star 3

Apr 9, 2003
    When I first started to learn about Paganism I checked into Egyptian Faith, it has the best Patheon of Gods out of all multi god religions IMHO. I could not really find a lot of good material though, so I diversified my sources.

5. Jenavira

Jenavira Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 1998
    Sorry, Obi, I've never met anyone else who strictly follows an Egyptian path...though one of my friends is kind-of Pagan, and very into Egyptology.

Do you? I know very little about it, beyond the story of Isis, and I'd be interested if you'd like to say a few things. :)

Jenavira

6. Kathryn

Kathryn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    Hey! Great thread! :D
    Ok, I have a question. You see, I'm writing a modern version of the Arthurian legend, and I've come to the conclusion that I can't separate the story from religion and faith, and that, by necessity, some of my characters are going to be pagan - Druid, to be specific.

So basically, some help-pointing me to references, any advice- would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Kat :)

7. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Glad to see this thread upped. :)

I use Aleister Crowley's Thoth tarot deck, and although I've found it confusing that the "justice" card has become "lust" and "pentacles" are called "disks", I like the deck. I am a total newbie at this and am just learning how to do a reading. :)

8. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    Mister Crowley! What went in your head?

9. Jenavira

Jenavira Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 1998
    a_g - I actually prefer the use of "discs" to "pentacles", but a lot of the changes in the Major Arcana are a little strange. I've just bought a copy of The Book of Thoth, which I'm hoping will help clear up a few things...

I've never really understood what's supposed to be so wrong with Crowley. He was certainly a little mad, and more than a little egotistical, but he has some sound theory.

Kathryn - if you don't mind a little bias, the Roman writings on the Celtic religion is probably about as accurate as it gets. :) Of course, they described the Celts as savages and liked to draw direct comparisons to their own gods, but it's the closest to an original text that still exists. Beyond that, if you can find some copies of the old myths and heroic sagas - The Book of the Dun Cow is a good one, it has most of the Cuchulain stuff - those would probably be useful.

Jenavira

10. Kathryn

Kathryn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    Cool, thanks Jenavira! That helps a whole lot. :D

Ok, here's another question for everyone: Is there anyone who's read "Spirits of the Sacred Grove" (or "Druid Priestess" is the alternate title)? What did you think?

11. LadyElaine

LadyElaine Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I had a dream a couple months ago that's still deeply disturbing me. Does anyone happen to know any websites or resources for reliable Jungian dream symbolism?

I've also emailed a Pagan friend who gave me a tarot reading (which was a good reading), so maybe she'll be able to work with dream symbolism, as well.

12. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Right now I'm Unitarian--there are tenets of all faiths, including Christianity, which I was raised on, in my belief system.

I mean no offense here, a_g, so please take none, this is not a judgement call on my behalf by any means.

But do you ever ask yourself just how seriously you take any of the religions you extrapalate from?

As a Wiccan, I find it more than odd to flirt with Christianlty, for example. Curious indeed.

13. Master_Domtis

Master_Domtis Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    hi everyone, I've got a question for you. I thought that there wouldn't be much of a better crowd to ask opinions of this, so here I am.

Basically, a good friend of mine has a pagan girlfriend, and she has a rather, different, view on the whole tradition of flowers as a part of courtship.

When he asked her what kind of flower was her favorite, she got a bit confused, saying that she wasn't familiar with that and that a flower should come from someone else...specifically not a boyfriend.
    Then she gave him the name of a poisonous flower....a white oleander. Even in it's description it mentions that it can kill full grown adults.

does this mean anything to any of you? Is it somehow related to an aspect of paganism? He thinks that it has some sort of symbolism with reincarnation, but I thought I'd ask you all before forming an opinion.

Thankyou for any help you can give.

14. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    She might just be one of those goth wanna-wiccans who wants a poisonous flower to be gothy :p

15. Java_Jedi

Java_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    OMGs... the thread still lives!!! *does happy dance* I thought they had locked it.lol. Glad to see so many ppl came back. HUgs all. Anyway... back to topic...

Jamiebacca,
    Actually, I do understand where you are comign from. I'm eclectic... a "free-range" pagan so to speak. I draw from many paths and faiths. Christianity is not high on my "draw" list, but think that is only from it being forced on me for most of my "formative" years. I have nothing against it though. Each of us has path to follow in life and your my very well take you to many places. :)

Domtis,
    While it is a beautiful flower, I have never heard of it being "sacred" or anything. It is very common to give flowers. Put traditions do vary. It might just be for effect too. :( Now that "goth and paganism" are in fashion...lol... I see ppl who have no clue trying to play "witchypoo". lol. It could be worse... she could copy "Charmed Girls Babrie" *gags*

16. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    SoK: Thank you, I'm an adult and not into any of that childish play stuff.

Jamiebacca: I posted that a few months ago, when I was still struggling. Since then I have come around to being fully Wiccan, although, yes, I still think Jesus of Nazareth was one of the most awesome humans who ever lived.

You have a point about it being difficult to extrapolate from several different faiths, although I do think Unitarians do it. I also believe there is some truth in all religions. However, it is better to choose one path to follow--and for me, Wiccan has suited me best.

17. Master_Domtis

Master_Domtis Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    alright then, thank you for that, Java :)

18. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    what's the difference between a pagan and an atheist?

19. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Pagans believe in a Deity, atheists don't.

20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    ah. so they aren't religous, but they still believe in a deity...

is this belief in a deity up to the individual? like, one pagan's deity could differ from another? i guess i mean that there isn't one set guideline for paganism to follow, would that be correct?

21. Java_Jedi

Java_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Epic,

Pagan more of a blanket term. There are many different paths that would fall under it. There are many different pantheons and deities. Not all pagans "worship" a god or goddess. The most common thread among them is that they DO believe in something greater than teh "self", but than doesn't mean that it is a "god" or entity.
    Atheists, on the other hand, generally do not believe in a "higher power".
    As pagans, we each walk our own path. Some may honor Demeter while other are honor Isis. It is a personal choice and not made lightly.
    Eclectics, like myself, pull from many different paths and traditions. we use what works (feel right) to us.

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm probably closest to a Christian Deist with a spoonful of Goddess worship thrown into the pot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.