main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Page 39 in Dark Journey (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BobaFrank, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I just started reading Dark Journey and on page 39 it says that Leia is NOT a FULLY TRAINED JEDI.

WHY? Since Heir to the Empire they have tinkered around with this aspect of her character. Will they ever do a book, or trilogy on her finally becoming a full-fledged Jedi?

Is it possible she could become one before the end of the NJO series?

Comments please.

2. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    she may not become a full fledged jedi, then again theres an equal chance she may,she is not one because she been busy with polotics and kids.
    edit:lianna is right on this.

3. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    This has troubled me for sometime. I think that in the future we will see Leia develop her Jedi skills especially since the death of Anakin. SBS seemed to allude to this fact.

4. LoneWolf7

LoneWolf7 Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2002
    They'll never make Leia a full flung Jedi, simply because that is the on going trait. Leia is constantly at a disadvantage because of her lack in Jedi skills, it's been mentioned in every book she's been in since Zahn's first trilogy, it's kind of been her quirk. She's always too busy being a warrior or a diplomat that she's never had time to bond with her childern let alone practice being a jedi. I'm sure she'll continue this way of life.

5. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Do you think that if she were to become a Jedi they would have no place else to take her character, so for now they'll hold out as long as they can.

I know I may take some heat for this but I think her character is stale as in the fact that she always is the diplomat that wants to spend more time with he kids. I do believe the NJO has freshened the characters a little but I would eventually like to see Leia become a fully trained Jedi.

6. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    Well according to Zahn's VotF she was a Jedi and also according to the Corellian Trilogy. Actually in Dark Journey she is also grouped among the Jedi and called a Jedi.

Yes she has also been called -not fully trained- and -not a full Jedi-. The EU has been pretty much inconsistent. I'm hoping that since she has been using the Force more and more in the NJO they might go back to the philosophy that she is a Jedi. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

7. Tsavong_Lah

Tsavong_Lah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    I remember reading that Leia was very strong in the force. And that she had raw power rivaling her brother!

I believe Kyp said it after he tried to influence her mind and hit a brick wall.

All that potential,wasted, if only she'd train. :(

8. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    If I?m not mistaken, that line was a thought made by Kyp Durron. So the real question is how do we know that Kyp knows everything about her training status? Leia didn?t keep her Jedi title for very long before she dropped it. If Kyp hadn?t kept up to date on what her Jedi status was during the short time that she had the title, he probably wouldn?t have known that she had been fully trained.

9. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    If this was the Old Republic, she'd probably be at Padawan level.

10. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I don?t think she?d be a Padawan. In a lightsaber death duel between TPM Obi Wan and NJO Leia, my money would be on Leia.

11. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    From page 79 of Ambush at Corellia (Luke is the speaker):
    "No, that's where you're wrong. If there is anyone in the galaxy with the right to wear a Jedi's lightsaber, it is Leia Organna Solo, Chief of State of the New Republic. You are a Jedi. Your training is complete. Different from mine, but complete."

It think the quote pretty much speaks for itself.

12. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    "I don?t think she?d be a Padawan. In a lightsaber death duel between TPM Obi Wan and NJO Leia, my money would be on Leia."

Seriously? Hmm, I would think that any disparity between their training (if there is any, even Padawan Obi-Wan had been training a long time) would be made up for by Obi-Wan's overall athletic ability.

Oh well, I don't want to take this thread off topic, so I'll actually address the topic. I think Leia's apparent "demotion" from a Jedi Knight to something less than that is just a plot device. My guess, and its not exactly a leap of logic here, is that they are going to address her Jedi heritage soon. The writing was certainly on the wall in Star by Star.

13. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    Thank you for the quote Jedi_Anakin_Solo. I think that Face Loran might be right and they are trying to readdress her Jedi skills and needed to demote her to do it. Personally they still could have done it in a better way without making themselves so inconsistent.

14. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    I strongly believe that Leia just dropped the title. That doesn?t mean that she was demoted, or that she stopped acting like a Jedi. Just like if I were to drop my title of Star Wars Geek. That wouldn?t stop me from coming onto this forum and getting into heated debates about Jedi philosophy.

15. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    "In a lightsaber death duel between TPM Obi Wan and NJO Leia,"

How?

JMA

16. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Very early in Ambush at Corellia Luke declare's that Leia is a Jedi. When Leia protests that she has not completed the training he tells her that her Jedi training was different from his, but that she is still a Jedi. She seems to accept this, though reluctantly. She remained a Jedi in the Hand of Thrawn Duology. In fact it seems that only the NJO has refused to acknowledge this. And the sick thing is that the twins, Anakin, and Han were all present when Luke declared that she was a Jedi Knight, and yet the kids all refused to admit that in the NJO, especially Jaina.

17. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Same way she beat Luke in then Corellian trilogy. Don't underestimate Leia just because she's an old woman of 45 ;)

Also, she's got all the natural strength of a Skywalker, and she's got an edge on young Obi in experiance.

18. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    "Same way she beat Luke in then Corellian trilogy. Don't underestimate Leia just because she's an old woman of 45 "

Oh I'm not underestimating Leia because she's old. And you're right, she's incredibly powerful in the Force. I'm underestimating her because...well...she hasn't had near as much training as young Obi-Wan, who IS a Jedi Knight after all at the time of TPM. Obi-Wan would make strip-steak of her, and probably Luke as well.

JMA

19. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    Obi-Wan would make strip-steak of her, and probably Luke as well.

Now hold on there just a minute. Let?s not go too far now. I agree that Obi-Wan could probably beat Leia (Leia only beat Luke because he was going easy on her; he didn?t expect her to be as good as she was), but Luke (in NJO) is still a much better swordsman than Obi-Wan (in TPM).

20. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    "but Luke (in NJO) is still a much better swordsman than Obi-Wan (in TPM)."

? How do we know this? Obi-Wan was trained in swordsmanship at the Jedi Temple from birth. And his advanced training came at the hands of arguably the best swordsman that the Temple had (Qui-Gon Jinn), next to Mace Windu, and I'm willing to bet, Yoda. He proved himself more than capable in his fight against Darth Maul, and the fact that he was able to not only beat, but nearly kill an angry Anakin Skywalker (Who is clearly being set up to be one of the most skilled Jedi in history if you keep up with Ep. 2 spoilers) in his prime (Pre-90% cyborg Vader), really says something for the guy.

Now I'm not knocking Luke's accomplishments at all. The guy is a more than capable swordsman. But I don't think he's even the best of the Jedi now, let alone the prequel era. I think his own nephew Anakin could have beaten him, and I'm fairly certain that Kyle Katarn, with all the formal sword training he has received, could probably beat both of them.

All in all, I still believe Obi-Wan TPM could take out Luke, and most certainly, Leia.

JMA

21. SithSpit777

SithSpit777 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2001
    Here is a thought. Luke just said it because he felt bad for his sister. That, and given the time since Luke made that statement to the NJO, Leia fell out of what little practice she had, and has faced facts about really being a Jedi (which I believe she will become post SBS). Luke didn't mean to hurt leia with this statement, he just wanted to pick her up. Maybe to the point he fooled himself. As far as The Solo kids in NJO feeling Leia isn't really a jedi, realize in the Solo trilogy, they were still fairly young and attached. By NJO, they have been living apart from home, gone through the rebellious teen stuff, and now have formed their own, adult thoughts and ideas. opinions change over time.

22. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Gandolf, look what you started. Another vs. battle.

For the record, I'll take NJO Leia over TPM Obi-Wan any day of the week as well. ;)

23. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    difference is, Obi is 20 years younger :)

24. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    When was the last time Leia even fought with a lightsaber?

25. SithSpit777

SithSpit777 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2001
    10 years ago. Caught Han cheating and cleaved the bed in half.

Han never did it again....

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.