main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pahk your cah in the yahd: The Bawston Red Sox Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Saper, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Well, that should have been two in a row over the Yanks, if it weren't for that managerial gaffe in the first game. Yeah, next time, when it's the 8th inning, you may want to have more than just Paplebon warming up in the pen just in case your middle-relief starts getting rocked immediately. [face_plain]

2. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    I vote that MLB eliminate the 8th inning. It just isn't a good fit for Sox managers.:rolleyes:

I've been really happy with how well the Sox hitters have done. They chased two excellent pitchers and put up a hell of a lot of runs. I was also really impressed with our starters. Matsuzaka settled down and pitched a pretty good game and Beckett just won the Cy Young with a superb performance. I especially liked plunking Giambi. :D

Okay, by a show of hands, who thinks that the Flash's secret identity is Jacoby Ellsbury? That guy can play.

3. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Yeah, I'm loving that kid. In fact, I'm loving our whole farm system lately.

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Agh, I'm wicked dumb for not having come in here. I watch the Sox every night, am from Boston and am trapped at college in Utah.

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Jeter > Papi lol

6. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Angels > Jeter > Papi :)

7. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    The Sox are trying to kill me. Giving up a 5-run lead with our best two bullpen arms, a bleepin' home run to a guy who hadn't hit even a dozen out of the yard, and Big Papi going down with bases loaded and two outs. That last one really hurt. I know he can't hit a walk-off every time, but I was elated when Pedroia got on and I saw the big guy coming up. And then we lost. Not used to that.

I swear, those guys are trying to kill me.

8. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm pretty much to the point of being completely disgusted right now. Honestly, I think the only way Francona deserves to keep his job, is by the Sox winning the World Series.

This division race should have been over months ago and now we're on the verge of losing it. Absolutely no excuse whatsoever for this.

STOP USING GAGNE - HE SUCKS!!!

9. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    The Mets and Red Sox have very similar situations - fans demanding the manager be canned, when it's both teams' GMs that should share a lot of blame for their respective struggles. Both have been overrated a bit.

10. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I can see that, regarding the GM's, to a point.

But Francona can be a bit too laid back at times and this team has needed a swift kick in the butt lately.

I don't think Theo can take much blame for losing a double digit division lead.

11. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    Besides being forced to use Gagne - you can't let him hide in the bullpen, what has Francona done wrong? Take Manny out of that lineup and it will take a hit. Don't forget Theo traded for Gagne and gave a massive deal to career underachiever J.D. Drew.

12. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    What does Gagne or Manny have to do with the fact that the Sox started losing their huge lead? They were already losing it before Theo acquired Gagne and Manny's injury.

It wasn't Theo, in the first game of the latest Yanks series, that had only Papelbon warming up in the bullpen, starting the 8th, while our middle relief began the inning by giving up two homers and continually getting rocked from that point on. Papelbon then had to come in, in the 8th, with no outs.

There have been a few of these little decisions that have bit us in the ass.

13. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    The Red Sox have struggled mightily since Manny went out of commission, while the Yankees offense is whole and clicking.

14. DarthStewy

DarthStewy Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2006
    don't remind me!! yeah i'm a huge bawston red sox fan. too bad i live in SD!! i've only seen one game!!!

Go Sox, Yankees Suck!!! (that should be our motto!!)

15. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Hey, Papelbon was a starter in the minor leagues (and that's where he should be now, but I digress) and he'd thrown only one inning over the previous four days. It was perfectly reasonably to ask him to throw two innings against the New York Yankees in the middle of an important September series.

16. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Don't mean to double post, but I was just reading through the thread and realized I misspoke in my last post. I didn't mean Papelbon should be in the minors. I meant he should be in the rotation.:oops:

17. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    I knew what you meant, Onoto. :p

And boy do the Sox own Al Reyes.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, I read your post earlier and it didn't even occur to me that it could mean you thought he should be in the minors. In the rotation was the only thing I thought of there.

And did I hear correctly that the Sox have clinched a playoff spot now?

19. tulakhordpwns

tulakhordpwns Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2007
    Yep, they are in the playoffs.[face_dancing]

Hopefully they can beat out the yankees for the division title.

20. DarthStewy

Sep 9, 2006
    i hear that!! i was watching SportsCenter the other day and one of the guys asked i believe is was tim kurkijian (Sp?) anyway, he asked if it matter to the red sox if they won the division or just got in the playoffs? i think it great getting in the playoffs but i'll be damned if it's not important beating the yankees on the freakin way!!!

21. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Well, it only took us until the last weekend of the regular season, but we finally wrapped up the division. :rolleyes:

:p

22. DarthStewy

Sep 9, 2006
    yeah man! that was pretty nerve racking though!

23. tulakhordpwns

tulakhordpwns Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2007
    Woohoo!!!
    [face_dancing]
    The Sox play game 1 tommorow and I am going!

24. JediMasterStewy

JediMasterStewy Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2007
    I'm jealous!! i've only seen them play once!

25. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I don't know why the hell you all haven't changed your icons yet! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.