Pahk your cah in the yahd: The Bawston Red Sox Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Saper, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    It would be a sad day indeed for Boston if they ever follow a Yankees model.
  2. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Not while John Henry's in charge, Francona's kicking butt and we've got our boys in red.
  3. yankee8255 Chosen One

star 6
    Well, I doubt they'll go the pure Steinbrenner route, but what's happened to the Yankees isn't uncommon for winning teams with money. Winning creates pressure to win more, leading to high priced acquisitions. Plus you feel obligated to keep th players that won for you in the past, out of loyalty and sentimentality, and of course they're not so cheap anymore since they have a ring. With the Yankees this is just exaggerated since they have so much money.

I think a good indication of the Sox future will be if they get ARod.
  4. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Not necessarily... A-Rod could be a good fit in Boston. He's certainly a better ballplayer offensively and defensively than Mike Lowell. The big question is if he would fit in culturally.
  5. Boomer_Athena Jedi Master

star 4
    The Sox didn't seem to concerned with keeping Damon after the '04 Series win.
  6. yankee8255 Chosen One

star 6
    And seem to have been proven right in letting him go.
  7. Boomer_Athena Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm certainly not arguing that. I'm just saying that he was a major contributor in the 04 Series, and he was one of the most beloved players on the team, amongst Red Sox nation.

If the organization felt the loyalty and sentimentality that you suggested, then they would have done anything to keep him in Boston. That's my point though, when it comes right done to it, baseball like any other sport is now more business than anything else.
  8. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Yeah, it was great to get rid of Damon in the long run.
  9. yankee8255 Chosen One

star 6
    Definitely a smart move, made easier by Steinbrenner being willing to pay absurd sums for.

If they're smart, Boston will pass on A-Fraud and invest in a few new starting pitchers.
  10. Boomer_Athena Jedi Master

star 4
    A-Fraud aside, there's only so many decent pitchers on the market. It's the highest commodity in the offseason. They should really be concentrating more on keeping the ones that they already have.
  11. DarthIntegral Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    I don't think the Red Sox really need to add pitching, to be honest. At least not starting pitching.

Even if Schill leaves, they've got Beckett, Dice-K, Lester, and Bucholz. That's as a formidable a front-four as you'll find in all of baseball.

And the bullpen will improve if only because Gagne won't be there anymore.
  12. yankee8255 Chosen One

star 6
    Well, Schilling has already written "farewell" letters to a number of Boston teammates, and is assuming he's no goin got be bacl. And let's face, Boston can't really rely on him anymore at his age.
  13. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Don't forget Papelbon in the pitching arsenal. :)
  14. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, good ol' Riverdance Papelbon.
  15. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6

Offensively, sure, but defensively? At third? Lowell is a gold glove winner.
  16. The_Eye_of_Strilo Jedi Knight

star 2
    And didn't he lead the league in errors?
  17. DarthStewy Jedi Master

star 3
    Oh and who lead the Red Sox in the regular season in RBIs?? Mike Lowell. who was the WS MVP?? Mike Lowell. I think the red sox's main priority should be to have him at third next season!!
  18. The_Eye_of_Strilo Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yeah that WS MVP left me and my brother shaking our heads.
  19. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6

He had two more than A-Rod. A-Rod had a .965 fielding%, verse a .961 for Lowell. Also, last season was Lowell's worst defensive season ever, and it is still better than A-Rod's career average at third base for fielding percentage.

A-Rod also had 24 errors last season...verse Lowell's 6.
  20. The_Eye_of_Strilo Jedi Knight

star 2
    Look it's not like I am some big huge fan of A-Rod. I think he's an arrogant money-grubbing git. But it is a possibility that the Red Sox will pick him up to play third base instead of Lowell. All I said was it would not necessarily be a bad decision if they were to do so. It would depend on a number of factors.
  21. Master_Kast7 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Nope, I read that Luccino(sp?) said that they are going to work hard on re-signing thier WS MVP Mike Lowell.
  22. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Bumping this up to celebrate the BoSox win this morning. W00T!
  23. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice come from behind win this morning indeed!

The Champs are back!!! [face_dancing]
  24. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Yes, it seems to be their specialty. The magic continues!
  25. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Great outing by Matsuzaka last night and Paps was dominate in the 9th.

Varitek did get hosed on the non-HR call though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.