Paid Memberships

Discussion in 'London, ON' started by jedidougcdn, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    What do you guys think of the idea of paid memberships? Something nominal such as $10 a year, which gives a member voting rights, access to the weekly meetings at the Rogues Garrison, and whatever other things we come up with in the future. I believe I can set up a form on the website where people can purchase a membership online via Paypal. This would certainly help offset the operations costs, which are now being funded out of pocket by four people.
  2. Lord_Robert Jedi Master

star 4
    I like the idea and here's my thoughts on it.
    We'd have to do a monthly a news letter.
    We would also need to have things planned out. Somethings like the Ewoks we always wanted to do more but when we started it was spur of the moment that got it going.
    We'd have change the membership list on the web site.
    We'd have to sent out a membership certificate.
    We could include a t-shirt.

A look at other groups out there. I'm a member of 4 groups.

fan force is free but is supported by a web company. It alows you to post on the boards and vote for city rep.
    501st. is free but is supported by a web company. All merchandise is LFL aproved and only marked up to cover the cost.
    Rebel Legion is free. I haven't been in long enough to know the details.
    starwars.com the offical fan club is $14.95 a year. It gives you access to post on the form. They send you a news letter and give you discounts on merchandise at starwarsshop.com

last does this break any rules of the fanforce membership. Most of what our group does is indepent from the fanforce board but comunication still goes through it. That means we still have to fallow there rules.
  3. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    The main difference between an organization such as the Rebel Legion and one like ours is that we aren't just an online discussion group, but we have a physical space where we meet, and there are real costs associated with that. Revenue received from the sale of memberships will go towards the expenses of operating the group - rent, printing, costs to put on the May celebration, costs to build a parade float, and the various projects we do.

I've sent a PM to CrazyMike to ask for his input on this issue, as I wouldn't want to break FanForce policies either.

It wouldn't be hard for me to change the website at all. I would take down the existing Members section and replace it with a page on how to become a member, including a Buy Now button (does the group have its own bank account?). I've looked into Paypal and it's already set up with a recurring function, so the membership will renew each year.

I like the idea of including a Member Card and something like a T-shirt, pin, or even a ball-cap - depending on production costs. I can volunteer to do the monthly e-newsletter, as it's something I have experience doing.

I agree that a little more organization is needed to plan out what the group will be doing in the coming months.

The May 9 celebration would be a prime opportunity to sell memberships, so this should be kept in mind.
  4. Lord_Robert Jedi Master

star 4
    I talked with my bank today. We've done our job well because the manager that I talked to had seen us out in costume. Out on Springbank Rd.

They have an acount that is good for us. It has a fee of $1.95 mo. I made an appointment for the main members of the group to go in and set it up. Wed, April 1. at 6:00 PM. The to people to have access to the acount will be Jedidougcdn for internet payment access DarthPapa as finance to write checks and my self as a second signature for checks.

I also talked with him about sponsorship. (looking at 2011 the 35th anniversary) If we register as a not-for-prfit group and it is for children. He would pass it up to head office. They only sponsor events for under privlaged children & disabled children. What I would like to see is in 2011 we move to Centenial Hall. The hall costs $1000 a day 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM. tables chairs and so on is provided. If we do say a $7 door charge and $1 of that goes to a charity something like the Glen Cairn Centre or something.

This is on top of everything else that we do for the event.

5. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    I'm available for the 1st at 6 PM.
  6. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    The London Rogues website has been updated with an all-new membership section and members profiles. Users can now purchase a membership from the website with a credit card, or they can use their bank account (if they are an existing Paypal user).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.