main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Painting a planet

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by RIPLEY426, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    What is the best possibility of painting a planet on... maybe a glass wall for instance? could this be a good ground for a planet painting? I want to do one like a forrestmoon... is it good to paint a star background on the same glass, or better a paper-with.white dots behind the glass?

EDIT: What kind of paint do I need for glass?

I want to paint Pluto and Mars (seperatly...)

2. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Why, exactly, would you want to paint them on glass? Anyway, acrylics would work fine.

3. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    I want to do it on glass, cause it is like a matt- painting that is always static and doesn´t change its struckture in contact with water. like paper

4. Weslen

Weslen Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 2002
  5. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    Yeah, this' looking like it's off-topic. Is this for a film? If so, couldn't you just build a planet in Photoshop or model one in 3D?

6. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    NO it is not off-topic. I am a really good painter... But I am not even able to do a BLUESCREENing thing in a program, cause the programms are just +++++ stupid!!!! Cause if I want to import a stupid avi "FILE CANNOT BE IMPORTED" arghhhhhhhhhhhh and so, I CANNOT do those things you sugest

7. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    "Yeah, this' looking like it's off-topic. Is this for a film? If so, couldn't you just build a planet in Photoshop or model one in 3D?"

Excuse me, new guy, this is very relevant, and very much on topic.

For starters, matte paintings done in the OT were done on glass as opposed to other materials, because glass does not bend, and is not manipulatable; also it is a very smooth surface, so there will be no bubbles or lumps to contend with.

Secondly, does it really matter how he is doing this? This is a good thing...This film maker - if like he says he is, a good painter, then why not? Use a talent if you've got it! If it is pulled off properly, it will be more realistic than a CG image. It will look more impressive. Secondly, it's "old school" photography. Excellent! People these days are confining themselves to a bunch of ones and zeros - and they are never that good! Even those projects out there that are considered to be graphically impressive, still don't look like the real deal. It doesn't matter how much tweaks and pokes you do to your CGI, it's never going to look like ILM quality.

I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with painting on glass, and then having a go with Photoshop afterwards, if it makes it look realistic, but to go all out CGI, it will never look quite right.

I say, go for it. Stun us, Ripley! :)

8. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    Thank you Ninja. everything on my films is working... the costumes, the props, the paintings, except of one thing: POST PRODUCTION (PC) -FULL STOP

9. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Even those projects out there that are considered to be graphically impressive, still don't look like the real deal

Forgive me but nowadays all matte painting is done inside computers. Nobody paints on glass anymore. coincidentally the latest issue of CGW has an article on digital matte painting:

Painting the town

For those too lazy to subscribe ILM uses (according to Jonathan Harb) "We're using [auto.des.sys's] form Z for modeling, [Discreet's] 3ds max with [SplutterFish's] Brazil for rendering, and [Adobe's] Photoshop and After Effects," while Matte World Digital uses (according to Craig Barron) "Photoshop mostly, but also [Corel's] Painter and [CinePaint's] Gimp, and Studio Max". They do use some propietary tools but pretty much off the shelf software.

Another reason glass was used was because you can "scratch" holes in it where you could project footage while filming the complete shot from the front. But it's very cumbersome to handle glass.

Now if you are good at painting you have 2 options, use something like Photoshop or Corel Painter, it just the asme as painting regular media. If you feel more comfortable with real media, you don't need glass at all especially for the puny resolutions and quality of projects display on the web. Paint it on something more manageable and just scan it in. After all trying to scan a glass would be a bit harder than scanning on oainting done on a high quality heavy stock paper.

10. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    Yeep! I just suggested..if you model a texture in photoshop and then map it onto a CGI sphere, it looks pretty darn good, actually. More versatile, too, since you can have rotation. But if that's the effect he's going for, I'm all for having a matte painting, let him do what he wants. I was just suggesting a way that is a little easier than painting. Anyway, in terms of painting, use acrylics, but make sure to seal them afterwards, using an ABSOLUTELY COLORLESS sealer.

11. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    "Forgive me but nowadays all matte painting is done inside computers."

When I meant projects, I meant Fan Film projects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.