main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Paintings/Artwork by wick - Updated 9/2/05 "Morning Patrol"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by wicktone, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I have this debilitating illness where I'm physically unable to stop myself from painting over all of my images. It is my sincere hope that someday, with time and treatment, I will be able to live a normal life.

http://www.sharpfish.net/earnedsmile.jpg

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Just to hop on the bandwagon, The Dark Tower illustrations were the first thing I thought of when I saw your latest painting. Very cool, but I wouldn't want it on my wall. Creepy.

3. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    um... yeah... now I'm haunted for life... thanks wick... :p

4. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    You do great work, Wick. I love Mara's calm posture and slight smile. As for the last painting. That is a bit creepy. At first I just thought it was a young man with a slightly sinister smile, but then I realized he had a bleeding hole in his gut. Or at least that is my interpretation (my eyes are getting pretty bad in my old age).

Great work!!

AG88

5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Wow... this is... er... creepy, wick! *shivers*

6. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    I love the "Earned Smile". It evokes a lot of emotion - mostly dark, but not entirely. When I look at it, I see someone whose history I want to know. This person has been through the nine Corellian hells (so to speak). How did they come to be in this state? I also see the potential for redemption...that they're not completely over the edge, yet. It is definitely the sort of image that would interest me in the story attached to it.

As for the painting, well, what can I say? Fantastic, as usual. I love your color choices. The overall effect makes me think of a desolate person in a desolate place.

Superb job!

oldj

7. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Mara Jade Part Five

This will no doubt sound funny, but you can sure paint noses really well. The shine off her skin is great. The one part I find to be staring at in particular is her cheek, as it looks like there's a hint of some texture to her skin there. Looks like there's a sunrise in the bg (perhaps to convey something about the character? but that could simply be me looking for something that isn't there). I'm sure it will look all the more excellent with Luke by her side. (Awww)

Last Mara picture of the series? *lip begins to quiver as eyes start to water* I will not cry. I will not cry!

Earned Smile

Good colours for a darker type of piece. The Background has nice a dirty/dingy look to it. The gaping wound is convincing - a sometimes difficult feat to accomplish, and you handled it well. It also looks like it would make a great book cover, as there's plenty of room up top for text to be placed.

...and I thought "Vader and the Six Prophets" was sort of creepy, lol. That one pales in comparison to this.

----
    I gotta say though, that it's somewhat odd going from such a warm, maybe even "happy" picture of Mara...to such a morbidly dark, bordering-psycho image. There's such a stark contrast between the two.

- Suz ^_~

8. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Eeesh... I'm going to go with Corellian_Rogue on "Earned Smile," though, and say that it has a gruesome beauty to it: the warm, soothing tones and colors, the soft way it's been rendered--coupled with the horrific image of a smiling, dying man... It's almost as though he's somehow grateful to be dying... I like the comment made about "sharing a joke with Death"--very descriptive and a perfect observation. It's a compelling and provacative image, wicktone--and yet another beautiful piece of work! I just can't get over the immense creativity and imagination that pours out of you like water over Niagra Falls...it's amazing and humbling at the same time!

**bows to the Master Digital Artist**

FF

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    *shudders*

Holy crap, that painting is very eerie. The choice of color really just adds to it and of course, that pose and smile just completes it. Until C_R pointed it out, I didn't even notice that blaster shot in his chest - wow! That just makes the whole thing worse. And she's right - this looks like it came out of a twisted horror film. Although it's very creepy and it gave me chills when I first viewed it, I still love it! Great job, wick!

10. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    The character in the image is actually a decent young man, however he makes a severe error in judgement in the story that ends up killing a large number of people and destroying his father's legacy. At the moment before he gets the shot to his chest, he does something that sort of gives him a modicum of revenge, and dies with his eyes open and a smile on his face.

It's a great little fanfic, and with pretty unusual content... the 'hero' of the story is neither the best looking, the smartest, or the bravest person. Very atypical stuff, but really compelling.

11. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2004
    "She's been shopping in the softer side of Sears."

lol. Nice pic by the way did the dude get shot or something or did he get stabbed by a lightsaber? Just curious.

12. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    wick, just thought I'd note to you that 2 of the icons I made from your work got uploaded...

http://boards.theforce.net/user_icons.asp?orderbydate=1

13. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Pretty accurate description, actually.

It should be posted soon, so please do so when it is. It's a great little story.

Thanks! I'm hoping it will get people interested in the story, at least a little.

It's hard to make a hole in the guts anything but creepy.

Not at all, like I said above, that was pretty accurate in a way.

Thousands of car alarms in New York's upper west side were set off this evening, when an earsplitting laugh of disbelief erupted from the direction of Phil Hale's house...

I love that Dark Tower stuff! Don't forget about our deal, either. My weekend with Phil should be coming up soon after you've hogged him all to yourself for so long.
    That's too bad, because I think I'd be great at female baseball. As soon as I grow my uterus, at least.

That would be hard to explain when you're taking a date back to your apartment. "Well, sweetheart, don't you like my painting of a guy with a hole in his guts? Ah, I love getting up in the morning and being able to start my day by looking at some fine eviscerate! He~ey, what are you doing with that pepper spray?"

My pleasure.

Thank you. And yeah, it is a hole

14. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I heard; Suz gave me a head's up about them. I really appreciate the work you put into them ODJ! They looked great. And I've noticed a few people using them...

Its your work man, I just re-size and put borders on them ;)

Nice Krayt dragon btw, your stuff could so be used as movie concept artwork.

15. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2004
    "Shot by a rifle."

Well that sucks. Nice pic it looks like a T-Rex with the horns of a tricerotops(spelling?) but nice pic though.

16. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    "She's been shopping in the softer side of Sears."

I have no idea how I missed that, lol.

And that background is quite a lot bigger in the original (to accomodate where Luke will end up being), and yes, it is a sunset. Good eye, Suz! It's supposed to be sort of a meditative scene.

What? No gold star? :p Looking forward to the finished product. ;)

I wasn't really sure how I was going to paint the wound. I'm relieved that people could at least tell what it is.

I don't think it's possible for you to not paint something well.
    ---

I actually set out to draw a Tyrannosaurus with silk-scarves for arms (only Suz will know why)

You are such a NUT!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I've always been a big fan of dragons - and it's no different in this case (even if it's a Star Wars spin of one and doesn't have big wings that I love so much). The scales are very distinguishable, the colours chosen work well together, and the details put into it are great to make the appearance of a reptilian body. The softer shading applied does well to give it the impression of dimension, but I find that the bottom jaw is somewhat flat. I think that's only because I can't see any teeth on the other side (the further side) of it's mouth. But that's just my nit-pickiness rearing it's ugly head again.

It kind of looks like he's about to go after something.

...Maybe your woodchuck? :p

- Suz ^_~

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Ooo, nice dragon wick! :D

18. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow Wick, I love the Krayt Dragon. I am going to print it out for my 4 and 6 year old sons. They love Dinosaurs. That is a great combination of various dinosaurs. I can recognize the head of T-Rex but it looks like you added the backwards pointed horns of Styracosaurus. And its body reminds me more like an Iguana or a mythological dragon. Great work!!

AG88

19. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oooo, awesome Krayt dragon, wick!! I just love all the details you've included (like AG88 mentioned, it looks as though you've included a lot of different characteristics from dinosaurs: the bumpy ridge down the center of its skull, the spikes down its spine, the massive tail that looks like it could squash an AT-AT... And we must remember, too--this thing is about the size of a long warehouse (if I remember correctly from the skeletal remains in ANH! ;) )! Yikes! I like the environment it's in, too--the sort of sandy look that Tatooine would most certainly have (and I agree with Suz: it looks like it's "after something"--a stormtrooper, perhaps...?). Great work, wick! And I may have to go pick up one of your new icons for my own! ;) Nice job, too, odj!

FF

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I've just caught up on all your latest pieces and I think I'm out of adjectives to describe how much I like it all. =D=

I'm especially fond of Mara Jade part 4. I dig the color scheme, possibly because I love snow, and the trees in the background. And Mara looks so dynamic, like she's going to start moving right off the page at any moment. What a great piece!

I also really love the way you played with shadows and light in Hallowed Hall. And by tilting the whole image a little, it really adds to the description of the scene...that this is the last time that Wookie will see this place and the instability he must feel about the future. Really neat effect that helps tell the story, I think.

And the Earned Smile is so full of scary tension. Dude! That picture rocks!

21. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Thousands of car alarms in New York's upper west side were set off this evening, when an earsplitting laugh of disbelief erupted from the direction of Phil Hale's house...

I love that Dark Tower stuff! Don't forget about our deal, either. My weekend with Phil should be coming up soon after you've hogged him all to yourself for so long.

LOL :D

*secretly plots a way to keep Phil away from Wick* I know! I'll take you to court for full custody...you clearly aren't stable with that blaster-hole-in-guts pic! :D

And now back to sanity (or reality whichever suits you). This Krayt dragon illustration is wonderful, as it's from an interpretation I've never seen before. I've only seen Terryl Whitlatch's version of the Krayts which are pretty cool...in her version they have about eight powerful legs for digging under sand and these huge long necks and tails. Quite more graceful than these T-rex inspired krayts, more draconic I believe. But your illustration is no less wonderful, I still can't believe you made the stumpy legs and claw style in the reference image work! In reality I'm not sure if that huge head would be able to be supported like that but you've made it look like it would work so good on you! :) Loved it!

*wants to see the t-rex with silk arms* Sounds crazy-hella-cool! :)

22. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    For some reason my first thought was "Dinotopia"... loved those books...

Anyway, great rendition! I could see it being the illustration for the SW Encyclopedia.

23. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    That takes me back to my Jedi Apprentice days where Qui-Gon rides a Krayt Dragon. :D

24. Briman

Briman Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2004
    Two new really good pictures, Wick, nice job! =D=

25. labpizza

labpizza Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    AK! wonderful, Bloody wonderful Krayt Dragon!! its amazing --- you even got it to look BETTER then the actual refrence picture... How amazing can your work get? =D=
    Me thinks someone has been playing too much KotoR - fool! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.