main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Paintings/Artwork by wick - Updated 9/2/05 "Morning Patrol"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by wicktone, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Good pic.I love how you use such painterly brush-strokes in your work, your pictures never feel cold or clinical the way some digital art can. I think the face looks good, though why you decided to make things more difficult for yourself by changing the angle, I don't know :confused:. Maybe you could try painting with your feet while closing one eye?

2. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    Yet another lovely piece, Wick. I don't think I could work to someone from real life - I'd get horribly nervous about portraying their features just right, which I know I can't do. Honestly, I drew a friend of mine once...it was horrible - bared more resemblance to a dehydrogenated slug.

This is just really excellent, though. The pose and expression are incredibly dramatic, and you pulled off the foreshortening just right. The background is very atmospheric, too - it could be anywhere, but it has the general feeling of a battlefield after the event. I don't know quite why, though, since there's nothing to say that's what it is.

And of course you're ready for a gallery *snork* You should be selling this stuff, if you aren't already.

3. Mae

Mae Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Reminds me of Anakin in his early years, with his costume and all. The figure looks way to battle hardened to be Anakin though. Sweet pic nonetheless..

<Mae>

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Wonderful, wick! =D=

5. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Now that is pretty darn cool. I like how dark and ragged it is... but still tough with a slight bit of hope.

6. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2004
    Great Job Wick the facial features look dead on to me. Good Job.

7. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Smooth work! That person must be goin hella crazy at that! :) Great work on the likeness, especially since you chose to change the pose from the ref which is no mean feat! And great colouring from the lightsaber glow on his face, really gives it that extra punch. Well done on yet another gorgeous pic! And sorry for not rabbiting on like I usually do but alas it is early morning and I'm slowly succumbing to sldfasbugjkberjndegklrnkl

*head hit keyboard*

8. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    The hair was the best detail for me in the picture. It made the image look like an actual person.

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    What a great portrait. The way you handled the clothes is so beautiful and I think the likeness is fine. Mae must be very happy with this!

10. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow, that is awesome. Beautiful painting. Now you are going to have everybody sending you photos of themselves to be painted as Jedi. LOL.

Great job!!

AG88

11. aurelia-acc

aurelia-acc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    Wick, I'm more and more jealous on how fast you work, you know? ;)
    What an amazing artwork you've done again ! Above all, I love your work on the clothes, the movement in those is so well rendered ! I'm amazed also at the details on his face & hair. And the colours of the background are just gorgeous.
    To sum up: "WOW" =D=

12. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Wow. =D=

I love the look of the robes, old and a little bit tattered, flowing in the wind like that. It looks wonderful.

13. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    And you say I'm a negligent woodchuck owner. At least mine has an honest career as a supermodel. Yours is probably out on the streets somewhere selling its body for chairlegs and scraps of pine!

I say it because you are. Let's not forget how it's career came about in the first place. Also, you are exploiting the poor thing for pure gain alone (show it some love, man!). Anyways, mine left a note, saying that it was off to go to college and it just couldn't handle saying goodbye face to face. It knew that if it tried, then it would never want to leave because I treat mine for the valued family member it truly is, unlike some people I know... (it's just like any other person in my eyes, which explains why I completely forgot I had a woodchuck to begin with.)

Whoa, that was unecessarily long. Movin on...
    ---

I was wondering myself whether you'd be bombarded with similar requests, seeing how successful this one turned out. [face_laugh]

That looks amazing, wick. Great work painting his jedi garb, especially up top where the more finer details are. You really know how to blend colours well to get the desired effect, like in the bottom half of his clothing. The different shades of colour match well and It's just detailed enough to show what it is. Also the colour in the background is killer. Furthermore, I think you did just fine on capturing the user's likeness - I believe it's most evident in his hair and eyes.

I give it two thumbs up. ;)

- Suz ^_~

14. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    OMG, wick!! Now everyone on the JC will be battering down your "cyberdoor," begging for you to portray them as their favorite Jedi (or Sith!)!

This is a marvelous painting, and I agree with everyone so far that you've managed to capture the features just beautifully, even while changing the angle of the face (shudders at the thought of the task...). The eyes, the mouth and especially the hair are right on--and the rest...? Well... runs to look through the now-tattered and shredding thesaurus for words meaning "awesome"

The earlier comment about it looking like a battlefield-aftermath is perfect: the dark, smokey sky, and the "glow" of what could be fires burning near the horizon just exude that feel. The way you've animated the robes is lucsious--I can almost feel the wind whirling around me--and his stance is pure Jedi. Again--a stunning work, wicktone--oh-ye-Master-of-Light!

FF

15. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Glad it turned out okay. Obviously, you would know better than anyone if it actually looks like you.

Thanks, dashleebo.

Heh! Thanks. I always struggle with trying to make things seem less 'digital', so I tend to leave stuff a little more sketchy. And changing the angle of the face seemed like a good idea at the time. I figured if he wanted something to look exactly like the photo, why wouldn't he just use the photo in the first place?

BTW, soits... when are we going to see some more art from you? I've been waiting to see your thread get bumped with new material. :D

I have the same problem with working from someone in real life; I'm always kind of afraid I'll butcher it and the person will end up offended.

It is actually supposed to be the aftermath of a battlefield. I was thinking that this guy had been fighting for a long time, and then just when he thinks he's able to rest, he sees one last opponent coming towards him.

Idrelle_Miocovani, Redgold, and The_Dark_Knight - thanks.

Early in the morning, huh? That's what you get for living in such a weird timezone! And it's winter where you are... that's just wrong in so many ways.

Thank you. Hair is pretty fun to draw, really.

Hopefully so!

LOL! It's not a habit I intend to get into.

16. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    sldfasbugjkberjndegklrnkl

Hmmm...I kinda liked that word, I think I'll start using it as a greeting. Good sldfasbugjkberjndegklrnkl to you kind sir!

Early in the morning, huh? That's what you get for living in such a weird timezone! And it's winter where you are... that's just wrong in so many ways.

Weird timezone, weird country. Indeed! Welcome to Australia mate, land of bizarro inbred animals and crappy amusement parks!

Oh and It's [insert expletive here] cold at the moment! I've got a million layers of clothing on and still need a freakin quilt on. I've resorted to those bad fingerless gloves too...quite the fashion victim at the moment. :) Although I'm sure all you Northern Hemispherians are dressed just as bad in dodgy Hawaiian shirts and shorts. So wrong in many ways.

Look forward to more work soon eh? (see I'm getting a hang of Canadian)

17. Lippy

Lippy Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2004
    DEAR LORD - YOU PEOPLE ARE BRILLIANT!

I mean - WOW!

*gush gush gush gush gush*

Think i'm gonna have to have a stiff drink and a lie down

I bow before your tallents

18. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Amazing. Your paintings are simply amazing! These look like...works from Lucas Films, or something of the like. Just amazing!

~Vassago

19. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    **puts on "nagging cap"**

...Which reminds me, wick... Have you looked into putting a portfolio together for LFL...? I really believe they'd snap you up in a NY minute...

**takes off "nagging cap**

FF

20. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I totally agree FalconFan. In fact, I will join you, "NAG, NAG, NAG!" (After all, that is what my hubby says I am best at.)

I also think you would be snatched up by LFL. That would make me very happy. Then I could say "Hey, I used to PM that guy before he became famous!" :p

AG88

21. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    See, this is an educational post because I was under the mistaken impression that it was warm in Australia even in the winter. Do you ever get snow there?

And what's bad about fingerless gloves? Those are the height of style.

I was going to say something about putting another shrimp on the 'barbie' to test out my Australian, but I figured I would spare you all.

Ah, thank you. Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Thanks, Vassago.

No, I haven't. I had someone send me a very informative email about conventions (thanks again, BTW), but I haven't really done anything about it yet.

And after your husband wins a million dollars on a slot machine, I will tell people that AG88 is one of my closest friends... and then I will beg you for money. It'll be great, you'll see!

I haven't been greenlighted to post the rest of my stuff from Threads of Destiny, but you'll see them eventually. In the meantime, this image was part of a concept for ToD that ended up getting scrapped. I didn't want to abandon it completely, so I gave it a cheesy 10 minute background and decided to post it. So, yes... you now get to see my throwaway scraps. I'm sure you're all thrilled.

http://www.sharpfish.net/paintings/jedifighter.html

22. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    ARGH. Double post.

23. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    Beautiful! I love the way you made the reflections and the shadows look on this, wicktone! Wonderful concept, and well brought off, as usual. You're just too -good-.

And that's a 'cheesy ten minute background'?! I'd be hard pressed to make a background that decent in three hours x.x

Four am. Bad bad me.

24. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2004
    Beautiful Wick. Great Job as usual. =D=

25. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    OMG, is that stunning or what?!?!

I love this, wick--the beautiful low-angle light, spraying across the planet below and bathing the ship as she screams along, just above atmosphere... The detailing on the ship itself is gorgeous: the smooth curve of the fuselage, the shadow of the astromech droid in its little socket... And I just never get tired of looking at how you handle light: in all its complexity and moods, you manage always to put in the perfect amount, color and angle. This one is a prime example of this--it's just amazing!

=D==D=

Please consider visiting a con to submit some of your stuff--to LFL, to Topps, to anyone that'll take it. I know you'd soon find yourself doing just what you're doing here, but for an income (and who wouldn't love to draw/paint/create for a living?)! Think hard about it, my amazingly talented friend!

:D

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.