1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!

Art Archive Paintings/Artwork by wick - Updated 9/2/05 "Morning Patrol"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by wicktone, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. New_Order Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wick, I also use Corel Painter. But I must ask, what brushes do you use for your paintings? And is there any other special settings you have?
  2. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Argh! I hate when I get behind! How is it that I keep missing these updates? [face_frustrated]

I'm right there with her. You should definitely try to get in there to make this your career. I think I expressed this before, but I guess I can never say it too many times. ;)

Pfft. Only a sketch and not terribly interesting? If you consider that a sketch, I wonder what you would consider a masterpiece. :eek: I bet that would totally blow everyone here away.

With that said, you have some amazing detail in that thing. Just looking over its haul and all the little knobs on its legs - wow. Put on top of that the what its lighted and the awesome background and you have something more than a sketch. ;)

Great job! =D=
  3. wicktone Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks, man! I appreciate the head's up. That was a pretty nice surprise, except now I sort of feel guilty for never updating my DA account. Oops.

No, I use all the default brushes. The ones I use 95% of the time are the Square Chalk Brush (that AT-ST was 100% square chalk), the camelhair brush, the digital airbrush, and the digital watercolour brush. Plus several erasers.

I do have one brush I made which is basically a pencil, since I don't particularly care for the way the pencil varients work in Painter. If you'd like it for some reason, I'd be happy to send it to you.

4. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    wick, your art never fails to impress me. Should it do that to anyone else, they should be smacked upside the head with a dead fish. Like this.
    [image=http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sauer/angry-smiley-046.gif]

:D

But in all seriousness, that looks like it could be a concept drawing from someone that works with LucasFilm. Very detailed. Two thumbs up!
  5. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Man-oh-man, how in the world do you manage to come up with these?! I am in love with the beautiful details you achieve in your work: the reflections, the obvious curvatures in the metallic surfaces, the movement you imply (I can see this massive machine, lifting its near leg, preparing for the next step forward...awesome!!). Just beautiful! And once again, with the gorgeous coloring and palette, you've also managed to convey that bitter-cold feel to the environment... =D=!!!

And congratulations on the Daily Deviation at DA (that Hoth painting is one of my all-time favs of yours!)! =D=

PS--LMAO over the "convention notes!!" [face_laugh] :p ;)

FF
  6. dashleebo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    AT-ST's rock!! :cool: You've really captured the... er.. :p hard to find the right words... I can't say personality as it is a machine.. but, the .. intimidating deadly appearance that they have. I hope that gets my point across. It really gives off the feel of how a AT-ST should be. It looks like it's about to change directions and blow something out of the sky. The background is perfect for Hoth. In a nutshell: Awesome! For being a sketch - brillaint! [face_dancing]

7. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Eeek, gone for almost a week and what do I miss?

Beautiful job on the AT-ST and the Jedi fighter, wick! :D Some very lovely colours.

And the Debari art... hehehehe, what a laugh. ::laughs:: :p :D
  8. Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm shocked by your implication... shocked! My woodchuck and I merely prefer to show our affection and respect for each other through the art of mime. Someone like you would never understand...

Lol, okay, you win - If you're this adamant in proving me wrong, then I must surely be mistaken. (but it's mostly that I've just run out ideas to further continue this argument.)

You're an excellent guardian and have a very healthy relationship with your beloved woodchuck. There. I said it.

That depends on whether I'm feeling altruistic. I suppose I should give you a break this time since you did perform that daring rescue of the Ambassador of France...

I did do a good job on that one, didn't I? Anyways, If you're willing to cut me some slack, then I'll make sure that your neighbourhood is never terrorized by goons demanding "protection payments".

Motion blur to the BG... now why didn't I think of that?

Because you don't need to look for ways to 'cut corners' like I do. :p
    -----

That's spiffy, very intimidating. I really like the mix of cold colours, especially in the sky. I'm just sitting here, staring at how everything is blended together, for your talents extend to the point that even in the 'messy' areas like it's bottom left leg, it still maintains clarity. (and I secretly use your artwork as a template to work from when fiddling with PS)

P.S. I was unaware that you had a Dev. account. Congrats on being in the spotlight. Also want to mention that I liked how you rendered the look of the leaves in "Garden Fencing". (...the use of the chalk brush?)

- Suz ^_~
  9. Sabre_11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Very well done wick. Is it just me or is your work getting better? Anyway the newest installment looks awesome. Well done!

And I know you have had millions of requests but I was wondering if you lost mine. I sent you a request nearly 2 months ago. I am patient but I want to make sure you remember the request.
  10. RedGold Force Ghost

star 4
    The AT-ST was freaking cool! As my hubby said "Makes it look practical".
  11. wicktone Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks! I hope I'm improving.

The_Dark_Knight
    - thank you.

Aw.

Sure, I did it for fun. Isn't that why everyone draws things? If it's not fun, why do it?

Thanks.

Yes, that Debari drawing was a labor of love, and I worked on it tirelessly for seven days and nights. It is truly the crown jewel of my collection, and I hope you all feel sufficiently priviledged to see it!

Otis! You've been kind of scarce lately; it's good to see you stop in the forum every once in a while.

I can't draw intricately in ten minutes, either, which is why I just made some silly clouds. Intricacy not neccessary.

Thanks again to you both for letting me know about the DD.

And Corellian_Rogue, I'm quite sure I don't know what you're talking about. What could make you giggle about a perfectly normal (*coughphalliccough*) gun on a walker?

Have you gotten your copy of Painter yet?

12. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    :eek:

*takes a few minutes to pick jaw up off of floor*

wick, once again you have rendered me speechless. I always love checking out your "environment" paintings - you can seriously get lost in them. Excellent work as always! =D=

13. The_Dark_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Amazing Wick the dimensions of the painting is absolutely stunning. =D= And the bottom part reminded me of a tennis court. :p
  14. dashleebo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    For some reason I really like seeing work done of hangars. Fine job. =D= The black silhouette of the catwalks against the smooth colourful floor looks wonderful. I like how you added in the control room on the left too.
  15. Way-Of-The-Force Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks for the painting Wick as i've said before your work stunned me... and what you did for me with this hangar is just amazing... i dont even really have words to describe it... its aweosme... thank you so much
    -WOTF-
  16. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek:

Holy C**p(again, and again, and again, and...)!!!

This is so awesome, wick!!! It's like a photograph of the scene...I simply cannot get over the details in here: the scaffold-like structuring of the catwalks, the suspended lighting (and the gorgeous pooling of the light on the hangar floor), the multitudes of hanging loops of cable and hosing--the numbers on the decking, which is exactly as it should be, to identify the bay... Wow...just wow... The handling of light here is exquisite, and just perfect: the way you've illuminated just enough of the structuring to show it all to us, conveying the immensity of this space. For some reason, the little touches of the blue light coming from the control room, where they touch the top of the ladder verticals, the railings and the back of the figure on the catwalk, really impress me: it's such a little thing, but it's exactly the way the light would fall in reality, and gives this piece such atmosphere and weight. I can almost smell the odors of fuel and solvents, it's so real... Too, too cool, wick--I really really like this one! =D==D=

FF
  17. Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Knight

star 2
    That was a quality rescue. The way you rapelled down the side of the embassy using only dental floss and an old T-shirt was truly inspired.

Sometimes I'm in awe of my own genius. That 'crazy fool' complained about using his shirt though.

Most people aren't aware I have a Dev account. Mostly because I only update it once every 17 years. But check back in 2022 and I'm sure you'll see one or two new things. It'll be awesome!

I'll be sure to leave a post-it note up on my refrigerator door as a reminder.

-----

Nice choice of perspective, excellent way to ecompass the entire room and to make it feel as though we are seeing it from the silhouetted figure with still having him included. (kind of like the Mandolorian Base). You definately have the look and feel of a warehouse/base down. The number "01" on the floor really adds to the element that this is indeed a Hangar. I especially like the how the closest scaffolding beam is made up of thin narrow strips instead of being simply solid. That in particular is a very nice detail. Same goes for all the wires hanging about. I too like the inclusion of the Control Room to upper left, as the transparency and the glare of the window is nicely done. The added use of Blue and Orange really make it stand out, providing added colour to the more dull shades associated with such an establishment.

...and I love the lighting as always. :D

- Suz ^_~
  18. Corellian_Rogue Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm quite sure I don't know what you're talking about. What could make you giggle about a perfectly normal (*coughphalliccough*) gun on a walker?

LMAO again! :D Oh man reminds me of an art theory tut I had once, word of warning, never ever get into a conversation about phallic symbols in an art class. They'll have you thinking your teapot is one... *eyes teapot warily* Yep...looks like I'm never drinking tea ever again.

Oh I got Painter on the weekend. Man I just want to hide under my bed! So many functions, I feel like an idiot as I have absolutely no idea what anything does! LOL :D Cool to muck about with although I have no idea HOW you do what you do with it! :D

Great update by the way. I love lowly lit shots lihe this. And silohuettes are just so gorgeous to work with, especially in the foreground. Lovely lovely! :) I like the interesting choice of colour here, quite intriguing the hues you've chosen. I envy your superb ability with straight lines, they hate me very much. Well done and I'm sure there will be more soon yes? :) Oh and wow is the rest of "Earned Smile" going? God I love that!

19. RedGold Force Ghost

star 4
    Didn't I already say that your work is on par with McQuarrie? You don't have to keep proving it you know... ;)
  20. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    Man, that is so fantastic. It looks exactly what I would think a spaceship hangar would look like.

Did I tell you that I also bought a Bryce 5.5 program along with my Poser 6 program. I, theortically, should be able to creat images very similar to yours with this technology............ ummmm... don't hold your breath. [face_laugh]

Oh, what I wouldn't give to have your talent. But I don't have it. I can only hope to get stinking rich so I can hire people like you to paint up what I visualize. Ummm.... don't hold your breath on that one either. ;)

Fantastic job!! I love your art!

AG88
  21. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Beautifully done, wick. It's great to see the additions to your gallery every time I stop by. The latest work is incredibly well done and all I can say is keep it up! :)
  22. Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Master

star 4
    Most impressive. Could be the setting for a high-altitude lightsaber duel to the death? [face_devil] :D
  23. Way-Of-The-Force Jedi Knight

star 1
  24. wicktone Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks. I'd like to get more requests for environments, honestly.

It does look like a tennis court. Of course, that was my intention all along. After all, what space hangar would be complete without some exciting tennis action? None, I say.

Hangars are fun to draw. I think it's because there's something kind of gritty and industrial about them. And I've gotten to do a couple of them lately, luckily.

No problem. Sorry about the wait.

Thanks! I needed the catwalks to be in silhouette to show off my lovely tennis court.

Yeah? Well, I pity that fool.

You do that.

The closest catwalk was actually a solid floor like the others, but it looked wo
  25. Ty_Ordell Jedi Knight

star 2
    Your stuff is awesome Wick! Your really should be doing this professionally.

You can tell a guy here is a good artist when his thread never leaves page 1 (and it's not because you keep updating it, it's because everyone wants to see Wick's latest masterpiece), my thread is probably on page 20 right now. I love your style of painting, the rough, quick strokes that make up each scene. Each one is fluid and evokes great emotion. I really like the AT-ST, I fav'd it at DA.

keep it up bud!
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.