main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Paintings/Artwork by wick - Updated 9/2/05 "Morning Patrol"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by wicktone, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I can't say enough about your ability to visualise dynamic lighting situations. You've framed it great, you have fantastic contrasts in the lighting, but it also looks entirely credible. You appear to be on a totaly different level than anyone else on this board. Totally in awe.

2. Darth_Carl

Darth_Carl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 28, 2005
    I must say that your artwork is absolutely fab.
    You've certinely got a nice style and have a good controll
    on perspectives and propotions (so on and so forth).
    What I wonder is, when you do your art, do you first make a skiss by hand
    scan it in and put colour to it? Or is made purely digital?
    And what program do you use? Photoshop?
    Well, all cheers to you.

3. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2004
    "It does look like a tennis court. Of course, that was my intention all along. After all, what space hangar would be complete without some exciting tennis action? None, I say."

lol space tennis

4. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Thanks. I do the sketch and all the colour on the computer now, so purely digital. It just saves a lot of time from having to scan and adjust lineart.

I use photoshop for certain things, like making colour or value adjustments every once in a while, but all the work is actually done in Painter.

5. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Request for Sabre_11. Some clones running around a swamp.

[image=http://www.sharpfish.net/morningpatrol.jpg]

6. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    I like their pointy hats [face_monkey]

7. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    !@#$!!! =D=

running out of words of any kind to describe wick's work :_|

The light and composition of this are just gorgeous, man! The first thing I noticed was the way my gaze was drawn into the piece: first, to the trooper in front, then the dark jutting rock to the right with another man atop it, then the fellow at "the ready" in the swamp--then to the guy up to his chest in muck, and lastly far out there, to the next chest-deep man, almost lost in the bright and hazy light... How do you do that??!! The composition is just gorgeous, an effortless visual journey right into the painting! As always, the light is sumptuous (ha! new word!!), sort of a misty, early-morning caress of sunlight on the murky surroundings (is this Utapau...? I wondered with all the fungi and massive trees...). I especially love the little shaft of "God-light" you have going on the right there, and the soft shadowing of the nearest trooper's weapon on his armor...just beautiful. I think it was Obi-Dawn, or maybe Suz that said your paintings are "someplace to just wander around in," and boy are they ever!! Great stuff, wick!

**sits back to study the composition some more**

FF

8. skywalker212005

skywalker212005 Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2005
  9. The_Dark_Knight

Jul 15, 2004
    Great Work as always wick.

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    That's beautiful.

11. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    Wonderful wick, you've gone and done it again. This is almost exactly how I had imagined it. And like Falcon Fan said earlier, I like the use of the "God light". And I actually hadn't noticed the two clones in the swamp up to their chests until FF mentioned them. Magnificent artwork wick.

Thankyou yet again wick.

12. Daankin

Daankin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2002
    Hiya all Wicktone fans.

Just wanted to back track a little and let you know that the story that Wick's Earned Smile so brilliantly compliments is now on line.

Pride's Due

I finally got my butt in gear and added it to site this morning.

Thanks again Wick, and you might notice I used both versions =D=

Cheers D.

13. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    Morning Patrol: Light is beautiful... very swampy atmosphere, the water is really well done.. makes me want to go for a swim. I like that blue glow on the back of the Trooper. It does look like a morning scene.. that nice soft light. Great work again. It's lovely to look at. ;) :)

14. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    I think it was Obi-Dawn, or maybe Suz that said your paintings are "someplace to just wander around in," and boy are they ever!!

It was Obi-Dawn. ^_^
    -----

You've already proven how well you can paint troopers, but I like how they are all in different positions and distances - which also helps to 'pull you into to the picure', as Deb pointed out. It's also clear this squad is out searching for something/someone. Once again, I enjoy the colours; the bright aqua lighting and how it shines off the surface of the swamp as well as the vivid orange put into the the vegetation (mushrooms?). Also liked how you handled the added ripples in the water. The only thing that I found odd was that the tree on the far right looks as though it's floating in mid-air.

EDIT: Congrats on the new icons.

- Suz ^_~

15. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Sorry I've been sort of incommunicado lately, and I probably will be for a few days more. Just kind of busy.

Everyone loves a pointy hat!

It was supposed to be Fellucia (I think that's what you meant, actually), but I kind of went back in and changed it to trees. Honestly, I kind of messed this one up. Oh well.

skywalker212005, The_Dark_Knight, and soitscometothis - cheers and thanks.

Well, I'm glad you like it. I might end up redoing it someday, since I'm not totally happy with it.

Awesome! I was really impressed with that story. I hope people decide to read it.

My problem with this one is that I resized it down to 850 pixels or so to save a .JPG copy and accidentally saved over my 4000 pixel .PSD. So when I needed to make changes, they looked all jaggy. Which is just what I get for not saved iterative versions like I usually do...

16. aurelia-acc

aurelia-acc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    wow the last artwork is absolutely stunning =D= i love the atmospheres you always manage to create in your pieces. And as I haven't had the time to check the threads lately, I missed the hangar one. The lighting is so "real" in that one I first thought it was an actual pic :D.

17. Ryuuri-chan

Ryuuri-chan Jedi Master star 1

Jul 22, 2005
    I love your art work. Your ability do do some of the more technical part is very impressive. Also to capture who it is your drawing. Love the clone troops.

RY

18. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Awesome!

Always good Wick, always!

19. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wonderful painting! But your stuff is always wonderful. Sorry that it took me so long to respond. I was on vacation and away from the computer.

Fantastic work!

AG88

20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Argh! I'm late again! I blame classes this time. :p

Once again, wick, your style and professionalism in your artwork blows me away. I know that's probably something you've never heard before but I can't help but continue to express it. Your current piece is just awesome with how you've used perspective to help tell the story. I also love how everything is in a green/yellow hue except for the tiny lights located on the back of the clones' armor. It really draws your eye to that particular spot.

Keep up the great work! :D

21. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    ::faints from awe::

Oh wow! The greenish lighting is brilliant -- deffinately makes it look very swamp-like. Awesome job, wick!

22. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Hey all -

I just wanted to give a head's up that I will be in Berlin for about a week and a half. I'm way behind on email and PMs, but I'll try to catch up when I get back.

Cheers,
    -wick

23. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Great work with Morning Patrol! I love the use of colours, and the way the troopers further into the swamp seem to almost fade into the fog. It has a very eerie, swampy kind of feel to it. Which is a good thing, by the way. ;) Beautiful work as usual! :D

24. The_Dark_Knight

Jul 15, 2004
    Wow this page is on page 2 hope u enjoy your trip Wick. Looking foward to the updates.

25. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    I've noticed that you couldn't help yourself and had to have another crack at Morning Patrol. I don't know which one is better because both look so awesome. I really like the thicker fog you added on the second one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.