main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Paintings/Artwork by wick - Updated 9/2/05 "Morning Patrol"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by wicktone, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Thanks for all the comments, guys. This place has really picked up since I was here last; there's so much new art, it'll take me a while to go through and see it all, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Wow, wicktone, this is awesome (considering you're working with a freshly-mending drawing arm!!)! The lighting and posture really lend to the despair of the subject (Anakin, I assume...?)...powerful. Welcome back, and we're all looking forward to seeing more of your fabulous work!

Thanks! The pic is not actually Anakin (or anyone, really). Anakin would be missing a few more parts at that point... although now I'm getting ideas! :D

wick, it's so good to see you back. Sounds like you had a rough couple of months with that arm. I hope everything has cleared up for you now.

Thanks. My arm actually has been good as new for a couple months now, I just kind of fell out of the habit of drawing after not being able to do it for a long time. I tend to be very mercurial with anything I do, art of otherwise. If I don't do it for a while, I get really lazy about it.

On the positive side, I did manage to learn how to write with my left hand (with lovely handwriting that would horrify a third grader).

BTW, on a random note, I'm so happy this forum has an active mod now. I can already tell it's made a big difference. Cheers, Han!

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Rise is both gorgeous and creepy. I love the lighting, the textures, the pose... this is the most interesting pic I've seen in the Forum for a good few months.

That's why I love this place - so many different styles.

3. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    Holy Crap. thats some of the best stuff i've ever seen, keep em comin. :)

4. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Request art...

[image=http://www.sharpfish.net/padawan.jpg]

5. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    That's beautiful! I love the colours you've chosen, and the pose - even the backgound has a certain murky feel, like it could go on forever. I am thoroughly stunned by this!

6. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    It's very nice - and feels like Korriban to me.

7. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Geez...it didn't take you long to get back into the "swing" of things with your painting, did it wicktone? ;)
    This is absolutely gorgeous--I agree with TroubledAnakin that the pose and coloring are just beautiful. "Murky" is a great word to describe it, but I would also add that it has almost a smoldering feel to it, with the warm tones and the directional lighting. I just love the way the light touches his hands and his face, bringing them out. Just gorgeous--and I'm so glad you're back! :D The requester for this has to be doing cartwheels about now...

FF

8. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Glad to see you back wick. :D Btw you may have noticed that one of your pieces is now a icon on these boards, the hoth one. Just thought I'd tell you incase you wanted to change to it. ;)

9. DCJosh

DCJosh Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2005
    fantastic!

your work is stunning!

*wishes he could paint like that*

10. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    TroubledAnakin, thanks.

It's very nice - and feels like Korriban to me.

Actually, it kind of looks like Korriban to me, too. The requestee asked for a character who was wearing KOTOR robes and sent me a screenshot... I think I might have been chanelling that game a little more than I realized.

Geez...it didn't take you long to get back into the "swing" of things with your painting, did it wicktone?

Heh, well... it took me a long time to get motivated again. I saw ROTS and had a 'hmm' moment. lol

Glad to see you back wick. grin Btw you may have noticed that one of your pieces is now a icon on these boards, the hoth one. Just thought I'd tell you incase you wanted to change to it.

Odj, hey mate! No, I didn't notice that about the icon. Wow, I'm thrilled! I'll have to go switch mine. Thanks for letting me know.

DCJosh, looking at your deviant site, you can paint fantastic! Loved the colouring on the moon behind Supes, especially.

11. DkSavior02

DkSavior02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    Hey wick, great to see you back and creating again. The second I saw that padawan I thought KOTOR, so I'm glad to see that's where the design came from. I always liked the robes from that game, they felt very archaic and different... of course they changed them in KOTOR2 to look more like the ones we're all used to... (something of a misjustice if you ask me.)

Anywho, it's nice to see you haven't lost your touch, injury and all. :p

12. weaponx655321

weaponx655321 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    I enjoy your use of colors. Very Vibrant, and it brings your illustrations to life. Just out of curiosity, by the look of your work and the style in which it's done, would you like to be, or currently are, a storyboard or creature artist.

13. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Hey wick, great to see you back and creating again. The second I saw that padawan I thought KOTOR, so I'm glad to see that's where the design came from. I always liked the robes from that game, they felt very archaic and different... of course they changed them in KOTOR2 to look more like the ones we're all used to... (something of a misjustice if you ask me.)

Brian, hey! Aha, I feel like I'm meeting old friends again. :D

I'm right there with you about the robes in KOTOR2. I even remember seeing a chain-mail-looky thing with a cape for the aspiring jedi who happens to be medieval S&M fan...

I enjoy your use of colors. Very Vibrant, and it brings your illustrations to life. Just out of curiosity, by the look of your work and the style in which it's done, would you like to be, or currently are, a storyboard or creature artist.

Thanks.

No, I never really thought about doing this professionally. I'm not skilled enough, for one. But if I ever started to get serious about it, and an opportunity came up, I'm sure I would jump at it. I imagine it's a crazy fun job.

14. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    OMG, these are great. I can't believe they were drawn. And By the way, how did you manage to get the saber effect?

15. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    OMG, these are great. I can't believe they were drawn. And By the way, how did you manage to get the saber effect?

Thank you.

For lightsabers, I usually draw in the actual blade nearly white, then I set up an adjustment layer on top of it set to colour dodge and spray the colour and glow of the blade down. You just have to make sure the hardness of your brush is turned way down (or use the airbrush tool).

16. Omnis

Omnis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    wow, wick. amazing jobs on all your pictures. keep up the good work.

Rise is definitelyy cool.

17. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Goodness those are lovely!

I think I've fallen in love with your painting skills and style. You seem to possess that uncanny knack for knowing exactly what colors to use and how to use them. Not to mention my disbelief on how someone can capture the amount of detail on faces in general - great example being "Circle" and "Endor" The Resemblance is Eerie - in a good way.

As I was going through your gallery, It felt like I was looking at a Professional's work. I can't remember who posted this on the forum (it was probably more than one person anyways), but it really does look as though you could - or perhaps I must say should - do concept/storyboard artwork. It certainly easy to mistake you for one, that's for sure.

My favorite pieces are "The Sith Wars" and "The Rising Apprentice". The atmosphere both of those pieces exude is just awesome. So provocative. "The Sith Wars" especially reminds me of something I'd see out of Lord of the Rings, or some other epic story, (minus the lightsabers ofcourse, lol). Don't misunderstand - all of your art is truly great, but it's these two that I think are set apart from the rest.

The Padawan sketch: I like the solitude of the piece. Very nice details on the clothing and his expression as well as the subtle painting of the terrain and sky. The setting strikes me as a rather spooky looking version of Tatooine.

Oh and I hope you're all healed up from that rather nasty sounding accident and Congrats on having your art turned into an Icon. I think I'd go crazy not being able to draw something for a couple of months. Also a big thanks for the kind comments you left me too! :)

Btw, Love your site. I admire you're versatality - not in just what you are able to paint/draw, but also to the fact that you do Web Design, Graphic Design AND are an Artist!

- Suz ^_~

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm so glad to see you back here! Your newest pieces are as fantastic as ever. :)

19. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    So you did all these stuff on photoshop?

20. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Your stuff is Crack-lackin!! Not just the fact that you can paint, but you've also got great composition and moods in all your stuff.

I once had someone tell my that a Digital painting I did looked a lot like Wicktone's style and I took it as a huge compliment. =D= Keep it coming.

21. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Omnis, thanks.

Obi-Dawn Kenobi, I'm happy to be back, too. It's great to catch up with everyone again.

Your_Worshipfullness, I really appreciate the great comments. I always find it interesting to hear what people's favorite drawings are; everyone seems to pick different things, and they're usually ones that I didn't particularly love. I tend to get bored with paintings while I'm working on them, and then just step away and leave them unfinished. 'The Sith Wars' I left really early on... to me it seems like I left it too rough, but I'm glad that you like it as it is.

Darshaassant, I usually do almost everything in Painter IX, actually. I use Photoshop for certain things like resizing or manipulating layers, but the actual drawing/painting is all in Painter. I just find it so much easier to mix colours with a wheel than with the colour picker in PS.

The two programs have a lot of similar features, though, like adjustment layers and the like. Basically, if you learn one, you can paint with either of them. You should try it; I'd love to see what you come up with.

Crack-lackin'? Heh.

Thanks, Ty. I checked out your deviant gallery and your paintings are great! They have a nice, rough feel to them. Cool art style, too!

Here's a new one for JW-Titus, based on his fanfic The Sith Wars. It's the warehouse district of the Mandalorian City-base.

**EDIT: I'm pulling the image until after the chapter is posted. Don't want to spoil anyone.

[image=http://www.sharpfish.net/mandalorianbaseB.jpg]

... and just for kicks, I posted my ArtPad sith lord. There's a thread going here ( http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Art/b10020/19804847/?23 ) for people to post their art in ArtPad so everyone can watch them draw.

It's pretty hard to use, but it's fun to see everyone's different techniques. Here's mine:

[image=http://www.sharpfish.net/ARTPADsithlord.jpg]

... and you can watch me draw it at http://artpad.art.com/gallery/?ihhpuo1n7voo .

22. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Very nice wick, its nice to see how you go about setting up a pose with that ArtPad. :)
    That mandalorian base has a wonderful mood and feel to it, almost like the underworld of Crouscant.
    I dont know if I've asked you these things before so I'll ask anyway. :p How long does it take to create a scene like that Mandalorian base you just did? Also do you use a tablet for the painting or a mouse? Lastly how big are the originals you work on? Thanks wick. :)

23. Omnis

Omnis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    oh, forgot to ask what materials you use along with painter and PS. you don't work with a tablet, do you?

24. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Geez, wicktone, that Mandalorian base is awesome!! I love the moody colors, sort of ominous feel to it--the lighting is perfect! I made another swing thru your site, too-- **sigh**
    what fabulous work! Your skill and creativity is just humbling! Looking forward to seeing more! :D

FF

25. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    ODJ, it took me about four hours off and on to do that one. Most environments take me about three, but on this one I originally had a different plan in mind for what it would look like. I actually started painting it... it was a scene with a landing pad on the left, and the perspective going off to the city in the distance. I actually started doing the underpainting and threw in some lights and a couple placeholder things (like a ship) before I realized that I didn't like it and started over with a perspective more inside the city than looking towards it.

--

I do use a tablet... I'm really bad with a mouse. It's embarassing.

The originals are about 3500 pixels wide when I'm done with them. That way, I can print them if I want to and they still look crisp.

Thanks, Falcon-Fan. You and I should team up on a piece! You do the lines and I'll colour. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.