main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

paizo or Wizards? Membership kits?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by JediMaster22, May 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Which do you like better as the Official Star Wars fan club/Insider Magazine?

And, when will there be New membership kit content? On what date?

2. Leia_Fanatic

Leia_Fanatic Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    I receive my Paizo membership kit around the time issue #69 is sent out.

3. finster_the_hutt

finster_the_hutt Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2003
    I liked SW Insider best when it was published by The Fan Club Inc.
    There've been a couple good things to come out of the past 2 publishers, like the "Who's Who" section, "Bantha Tracks" and the newly added "Toy Box". But for over a year now, the Jawa Trader has had the exact same stuff to order. I just got issue #68 in the mail today and it didn't even have a Jawa Trader!
    The Jawa Trader was what I used to look forward to every 2 months, they had great exclusives and a good selection to boot! They were a little pricey, but some of the stuff they offered made it very worth while!
    Yeah, the Troop Builder sets are cool, but is that the best they can come up with for Fan Club exlusive toys? The only thing, collector wise, that's keeping me subscribed to SW Insider is the Silver Boba Fett coming later this summer. Now that the official website is going to charge for exclusive E3 info, I'm in turmoil over which one to subscribe to. SW Insider is still an good mag, but I enjoyed it a lot more when it had a shorter distribution and seemed to be more die-hard. All I'm guaranteed to read every time a new issue shows up at my door is Rebel Rumblings, Prequel Update, Star News, Scouting the Galaxy and Star Wars Q & A, oh, and the newly added Bantha Tracks and Toy Box. Everything else gets read, but not in one sitting like it's older publications did.
    Phwew, that felt good. I've been waiting for an appropirate time to vent about SW Insider for a while now.
    Oh, and I didn't get a memebership package last time I renewed my subscription and won't get one until I renew it next time. When I renewed last, the publishing was in the midst of changing hands (paizo/WOTC)...another reason I think it should've stayed w/The Fan Club Inc.

4. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I still love to get insider! but I agree that they should've left in the jawa trader. :)

oh,and my membership kit came with,

plastic yoda membership card

mini standup (it's like 4" tall)

a bantha tracks iron on patch

3 postcards-geononsis,kamino,coruscant

and a set of 4 stickers :)

5. indigovic

indigovic Star Wars Fan Club star 1 VIP

Mar 26, 2003
    I'm a bit hesitant to post in this thread, because I don't want anybody to be discouraged about voicing your opinion, but I do feel a need to clarify some things about Wizards, Paizo, and the Fan Club.

Wizards of the Coast no longer runs the Fan Club - Paizo does. However, Wizards of the Coast is still the official Star Wars e-commerce licensee. That means that they control the selection of products available on their website, and through the Jawa Trader section of Insider. We recently made the decision to remove Jawa Trader from the magazine because Wizards hasn't provided any new content for it in several months.

Paizo has been allowed to offer a few interesting products to Fan Club members, though - we have the Episode II IMAX poster and banner, and we offered the first Attack of the Clones art print, which is almost sold out. We're selling Hasbro's 2003 Convention Exclusive silver Boba Fett action figure at the conventions we're attending this summer, and we'll be selling the same figure to Fan Club members through our website after the convention season is over.

The 2003 membership kit was offered to people who subscribed starting August 7, 2002, and will continue to be offered until August 6 this year, ensuring that loyal subscribers don't miss it. The 2004 kit will be announced this summer.

Images and additional info on the kit and our exclusives can be found at http://starwars.paizo.com/

>All I'm guaranteed to read every time a new issue shows up at my door is Rebel Rumblings, Prequel Update, Star News, Scouting the Galaxy and Star Wars Q & A, oh, and the newly added Bantha Tracks and Toy Box.<

There are only a couple of regular departments you didn't list - Set Piece and Rob Coleman's Behind the Magic, both of which have proven fairly popular in surveys; Gamescape, Bookshelf, and Comics Link, which we know aren't all everyone's cup of tea, but most readers value at least one of the three; Crossword and Last Page, which, well, either you like or you don't, but they only take up one page each, and HoloNet News, which has a die-hard following.

What do you want to see that you aren't seeing?

-Vic Wertz,
    Associate Editor,
    Star Wars Insider

6. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    thanks for reminding me to look for my kit...supposedly....at the Wizard World Convention in August...if there is a long line for the silver Fett...they are supposed to open an express line for Fan Club members.....we'll see.....

7. finster_the_hutt

finster_the_hutt Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2003
    Wow, thanks for that Vic. It's nice to see that our forums do get read by people that can make a difference it what comes to the fans. I think that's pretty cool.

There are only a couple of regular departments you didn't list - Set Piece and Rob Coleman's Behind the Magic, both of which have proven fairly popular in surveys; Gamescape, Bookshelf, and Comics Link, which we know aren't all everyone's cup of tea, but most readers value at least one of the three; Crossword and Last Page, which, well, either you like or you don't, but they only take up one page each, and HoloNet News, which has a die-hard following.

I do enjoy reading them, and do get around to it, just not in the way I did a couple years ago. Maybe it's just my personal preference, I'm sure evryone has the favorite sections of SW Insider as well as sections that are read just because they're in SW Insider.

Wizards of the Coast no longer runs the Fan Club - Paizo does. However, Wizards of the Coast is still the official Star Wars e-commerce licensee. That means that they control the selection of products available on their website, and through the Jawa Trader section of Insider. We recently made the decision to remove Jawa Trader from the magazine because Wizards hasn't provided any new content for it in several months.

I can understand it being pulled from the mag, I was getting a little frustrated looking at the same things being offered for months on end. I just really enjoyed seeing what new stuff was going to be offered each month. That and having an actual pull out catalogue seems more personal to look through. Sure the website has everything the compnay will offer, but there's just something about flipping through those few pages...

We're selling Hasbro's 2003 Convention Exclusive silver Boba Fett action figure at the conventions we're attending this summer, and we'll be selling the same figure to Fan Club members through our website after the convention season is over.

This is great, and like I mentioned, the reason the collector in me continues to subscribe to the mag - exclusive figures. The troop builders were okay, but stuff like Figrin D'an, Oola and Kabe & Muftak were great. The Silver Boba Fett is right up there with the older offers! I wish I would've caught the Silver Darth Vader when it was offered briefly by the Fan Club.

What do you want to see that you aren't seeing?

More episode 4, 5, 6 stuff. They're the heart of the Star Wars Saga, and I know I'm not alone in saying you guys could never publish too much info, facts, behind the scenes stuff and character bios from those classic films. Even when the EU aspect of the OT comes into play, the background characters and the fact that every one of them has a story; that's one of the biggest this that makes Star Wars special.
    One thing that would be kind of neat would be one page a month dedicated to fan's SW collections. People could send in pictures of their collections and in each issue, have a page along with either Rebel Rumblings or Scouting the Galaxy just for the pics and a quick blurb about the collector. I know that quite ofter people's collection pics do make it into the mag for various reasons, I just though that having a one page section set aside for it would make the magazine that much more personal. It could be titled something along the lines of 'Jabba's Prize'...?

Thanks again Vic, I'm glad to see that our opinions as readers are important. In no way am I discouraged by your reply, in fact, it makes me want to voice my opinion more knowing that there's people out there that can make a difference that listen and care. All I can say is keep up the good work and as long as SW Insider is being published, I'll be reading it (although exclusives do make it more enjoyable).

-This probably could have been made as a PM to Vic, but hopefully it can incourage others to bring up their ideas.

8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    What I'd like to see is some more interviews with the actors (both PT and OT- the Carrie Fisher interveiw was great BTW!) Especially our ellusive young Darth Vader (I am GREATFULL he has avoided the teeny-bop rags over all but I'd like to hear his thoughts on his character in the more 'mature' setting of the insider...) the interview/article with Carrie was thoughtful and entertaining and didn't come across as 'gushy fan boy drivel'. I know the OS will have interviews/chats but I can see them filled with "Hayden, do you have a GIIIRRRRRlll friend?" *PUH-lease*

Anthoney Daniels has a pleasing dry wit and a great rapport with his fans (and have some facinating antacedotes on filming the OT.. he puts to rest the rumours that Sir Alec 'hated' being involved with Star Wars describing him as a lovely man...)

I know that Fan fic is out (Indeed, over on the Writers resourse forum I quoted and article from The Insider regarding 'publishing' fan works) but what about 'fan art'?

Keep up the good work!

9. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    the Silver Darth Vader was sold at the Fan Club?

[face_shocked]

how could I have missed that...
    I thought it was only a "give away" at Toy Fair....

I paid a left lung for mine....damn...day late and a dollar short again...I gotta pay more attention to the fan club site..I have been a member for a long time and must confess...I don't look at the Fan Club much cause years ago...everytime I called them to order Action Figures they never had them in stock....

bangs head into wall....

10. indigovic

Mar 26, 2003
    >More episode 4, 5, 6 stuff.<

Obviously, during the period preceeding the Episode II release, up through the IMAX and DVD releases, Attack of the Clones was a pretty big focus for us. Until we start getting some meaty Episode III pieces, you can expect our focus to be more on the classic trilogy for a while. Hopefully everybody appreciated the Jedi 20th Anniversary issue...

>One thing that would be kind of neat would be one page a month dedicated to fan's SW collections.<

Generally, the fan-focused content goes in Bantha Tracks. In fact, issue 71 has a collecting focus for both portions of the magazine, and we're looking for collection submissions. Here's the word from Mary Franklin, Bantha Tracks Editor:

---
    We're looking for your collecting stories and pictures for Bantha Tracks!
    Bantha Tracks #5, shipping with Insider #71, will highlight fan collectors. Not just any collectors, mind you, but collectors who fall in these special categories:
    1) Metro Collections. Do you have an extra cool Star Wars display that fits in a small space? Helpful tips for collectors who are apartment dwellers? Share them with Bantha Tracks! Email BanthaTracks@paizo.com.
    2) Kid Collectors. Some kids have extra special collections. Submit your child's collection photos to Bantha Tracks, and any special stories that might go with them.
    3) Custom Creators. There are some extremely creative fans out there who create amazing original treasures. We're looking for your stories and pictures.

Bantha Tracks Submission guidelines: Any original art, envelope art, comics, illustrations, news, stories, meeting information, or any materials voluntarily submitted become the property of Bantha Tracks. No compensation will be given for voluntary submissions, and there is no guarantee of publication. Submissions to Bantha Tracks will not be returned. Each submission must include the creator?s name, Official Star Wars Fan Club membership number, age, contact information, date the work was created, and a statement that the work is original, created by the person submitting it. All work must involve existing characters in the Star Wars universe. Send Electronic files to BanthaTracks@paizo.com, or send your snail mail to: Bantha Tracks, C/O Paizo Publishing, 3245 146th Place SE, Suite 110; Bellevue, WA 98007. If you have any questions on these guidelines please email BanthaTracks@paizo.com.

----

The submission deadline for Issue 71 is July 1.

>What I'd like to see is some more interviews with the actors<

We're working on some good ones... Stay tuned!

>what about 'fan art'?<

We publish it in Bantha Tracks. See the submission guidelines above.

-Vic.

11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Thanks Vic for taking the time to read and reply!!

I'm still waiting for my fan club kit.. how do we lost souls look into such things?
    ;)

12. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Instresting! :D I'm glad there's going to be a colelcting thing in #71! I always enjoy the colllecting parts of the magazine! :)

13. indigovic

Mar 26, 2003
    >I'm still waiting for my fan club kit.. how do we lost souls look into such things?<

For pretty much every customer service issue, you can e-mail starwars@paizo.com.

-Vic.

14. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    Why dont they sell the silver fett to non members also. Give members 2-3 days to order theres at normal price and then non-members for a little higher $$. I'm not a member because i never see anything new on the website. I got my Toyfair Vader from the website and have placed many orders and also buy the Insider everytime it comes out. Thanks for chimming in though VIC, its nice to see you guys reading our stuff.

15. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    Double post

16. indigovic

Mar 26, 2003
    >Why dont they sell the silver fett to non members also.<

The figure is a convention special, and will be availabel to members and non-members alike at conventions. Offering it to members after the conventions is just one of the benefits of membership.

-Vic.

17. Leia_Fanatic

Leia_Fanatic Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    Wanna know what I wanna see more of?

Carrie Fisher! Issue 68 has a great interview with her but I think an issue dedicated solely to her would be pretty cool. ;)

18. Xizor@TheView

Xizor@TheView TFN Collecting, Former IK President star 3 VIP

Aug 9, 1999
    I too was one who used to look forward to seeing the Jawa Trader each month to see all the cool stuff that was offered. But if you recall a few years back there was a HUGE sell off of merchandise in Denver (this was back when the Insider was published through Fantastic Media- I believe i remember that right) There were pictures of PILES of merchandise stilling in a ware house and then cleaned up like 10 cent ice cream in July. That was the trouble, they had all this cool stuff but no noe was buying it. I'm as guilty as the next person, I always said, this or that is really cool, I should get one. But I never did.

It's a shame that Wizards still has a hand in the merchandising even. I was glad to see that the Fett would be available at a wide range of venues including the FC.

I think Piazo is doing a great job of giving everyone something to check out in the Insider. No, I'm not one for the fiction or comics stuff, but I know many who enjoy them. We are such a diverse group not only of fans but collecotrs as well. To me that makes the Insider a better value.

As for something I would like to see, the Interviews with the stars is always good but how about an update on some of the OT actors who maybe didn't go on to stellar carrers or the ones that make you wonder are they alive or dead.

They only other thing I would change if I could would be the lead time. The fact they the Insider includes many exclusive iterviews and such id great because more often than not, many pieces of news that have appearded in the Insider appeared on the net a month or more before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.