main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Pakistan attacked Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Community' started by SergeyX2017, May 7, 2017.

1. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    Pakistan, Afghanistan dispute toll after clashes

2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Oh well.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  3. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    That's kind of like saying that Rosie O'Donell attacked Rosanne. I suppose it's newsworthy, but does anyone really care?

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah guys, who cares about civilian death? it's just brown people, right? it's always cool and makes perfect sense to post how uninterested in something you are. you have a worldwide audience right here who can't wait to hear which topics you don't care about.

fyi for the future: true apathy goes unannounced. (you can also avoid exposing your racism)

5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well, what can we do about it. Pakistan and Afghanistan are both quite the basket cases...and now apparently so are we.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    There's largely nothing we can do about most world events, yet you participate in threads about things in the west you can't do anything about. But I guess when brown people are fighting, that's when it doesn't matter.

7. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    You yourself probably not much. The US, who has military forces in Afghan, including Navy SEALs, jet fighters, drones, MOABs, and God knows what else, can, I am sure, tell Pakistan to back the hell off.

Then again, the US has bern unable to stop Turkey from their continued aggression against the Kurds in Syria and Iraq...

8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    It's interesting that you're presenting this in a one sided fashion considering this attack was a retaliatory attack and it seems like both sides are kind of at fault over this blowing up.

9. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    Pakistan (specifically their intel agency ISI) has been funding, arming, and otherwise supporting terrorism in Afghanistan for many decades, starting during the Soviet occupation there. This continues today.

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    From what I can gather from news reports, who initiated the attack is being disputed.

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I didn't say they were good. But that doesn't give you carte blanche to immediately present one side in this as the "good guys" and the other side "the villains."

12. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    In the Muslim world, there are basically three major players who have been making all kinds of trouble everywhere, supporting various terrorist outfits, creating violence, war, and instability. Saudi Arabia. Turkey. Pakistan. Qatar too, to a lesser extent, but they are just a sidekick of the Saudis, along with the UAE.

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    "Here's my axis of evil" isn't really an argument but okay.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It's like George: he loves trilogies.

15. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Okay well, even if I substituted "we" as in the average Westerner with the U.S. government, it's not like either Pakistan or Afghanistan ever did what we asked them to do. We tell Pakistan "hey don't build nukes" and they didn't listen. We told them "hey stop harboring terrorists" and they didn't listen. We tell the Afghans "hey clean up all that corruption" and they don't listen. Now they're shooting at each other, so what makes us think we can stop them?

16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    What does the US government being able or unable to stop them have to do with having a thread about it and participating in a thread about it?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, it's not like we told them "Hey you should funnel millions of dollars into military insurgencies that employ religious rhetoric so that we can short-sightedly continue to engage in power contests with our geo-political rivals in ways that will prove meaningless in the long run while contributing massively to the subsequent destabilization of the countries in question and--"

Oh, wait.

18. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Okay yeah, we did that in the 80's, but since then Pakistan's been doing it on their own because they want to use those insurgents against India.

19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yes, it's bad when Pakistan wants to do it against India on their own, they should only be doing this when we're directing it.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  20. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2014
    Sorry for posting this a year late, but this would be an alternate perspective nobody's mentioned: http://yalejournal.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Article-Gartenstein_Ross-and-Vassefi.pdf

Pakistan’s historical and contemporary support for jihadi
    groups has caused US policy prescriptions over the past decade
    to focus prominently on the need to change Pakistan’s strategic
    orientation. In this article, the authors explore one aspect of
    Pakistan’s strategic calculations that has received insufficient
    attention in public debate: the degree to which Afghanistan’s
    aggressions against Pakistan have helped to shape the latter’s
    support for religious militant groups

21. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I miss Sergey too.

22. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh right, Sergey. Got him mixed up with Sarge there for a moment.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Guys these notifications from necroliking are both annoying and a reaffirmation that I've always been awesome

Violent Violet Menace and jp-30 like this.
  24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I'll like that post in a year then.