Palpatine and Vader/Skywalker and Sidious?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Master_Rebado, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Rebado Jedi Master

star 3
    With the saga having many "mirrors" and other subtle ironies up for the noticing,just wondered if anyone else noticed:

Darth Sidious remains publicly 'Palpatine' whilst Anakin Skywalker is no more and publicly 'Darth Vader'?

I know that Palpatine's alter ego was known to so few so publicly known as Palpatine he was and all that.

Just thought it interesting that he never revealed his Sith name yet his apprentice(who has a Sith name) was known across the Empire.

Also,convienently Anakin needs the suit which hides his face and old identity,interesting...

2. Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod

star 6
    First: The name Anakin Skywalker served no purpose anymore, he was known as one of the jedi, who were, in the eyes of the emperor, traitors. How could the emperor keep one such a traitor around? Changing his name to Lord Vader was also part of the ritual to lure him completely over to the dark side. Anakin was a jedi, Vader a sith and accomplish of Palpy.

Second: Palpy was a known figure, a hero of the clone wars, a respectable man. The jedi have been telling that a sith lord was behind the clone wars. A sith called lord Sidious. This the reason why Palpy could never reveal himslef to be just that sith lord. This would be the same as admitting that the jedi were right after all and Palply was the bad guy all along.
  3. i_dont_know Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I hadn't thought of that Master_Rebado.
    I guess it probably was due to the clone wars. Palpitine's plan would kind of backfire if he revealed his name was Sidious - the Sith Lord the Republic had been led to believe the Jedi had fabricated themselves (from the ROTS novel). In their opinion, the real Sith Lord, Dooku, was already dead.

I don't think Sidious honestly thought the Jedi were traitors though, he just despised them for wiping out his "bloodline" in the past. I agree, giving Anakin the name Vader was just part of the lure - it made Anakin feel above the mere non-master he was before. As a Sith, Anakin is now second in command, he couldn't even become a Master on the Council. Sidious is feeding his ego, and also making Anakin subconciously detach himself from his past.

On an unrelated note, I was just thinking it is kind of ironic that the Sith want revenge for being wiped out, yet they would only destroy themselves if left alone anyway.
  4. TheGreatSithLord Jedi Youngling

Part of the name changing is the way of the sith. Like Count Dooku, when he was known as a Sith he was known as Lord (Darth) Tyrannus. My spelling might be off. Although I think the only person who refers to him as Tyrannus is Palp. Its the way of the Sith. To change their name so they can assume a new identity.
  5. JBRO_13 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    The real reason is that the "I am your father" scene would've been far less climactic if the villian's name was Anakin Skywalker in Episode V.
  6. i_dont_know Jedi Padawan

star 4
    lol, yeah, so? To be a Star Wars fan you need some suspension of disbelief. even if you only watch the original trilogy.

Lucas knows we realise that he can't undo the original storyline. But part of the fun watching the new movies is it makes us wonder what is happening in the character's heads during specific moments. the movies are designed to provoke questions.
  7. Master_Rebado Jedi Master

star 3
    Anakin Skywalker could well have been called the "only Jedi loyal to the Republic/Empire who helped protect the same from the 'traitorous" Jedi.

Then his name would've still had purpose...

Second point of argument re: Palpatine's name and the Sith Lord Sidious reveal -

Darth Sidious would've been the name revealed not just 'Sidious'(or the 1st part of the Sith title: "Darth" would be known to the Senate).

So then when a henchman called Darth Vader turns up,that's not a revealing of the Sith in the Empire?

If the henchman has a Sith name then his master(and it's clear in the Empire's ranks that Vader is the Emperors right hand man) logically is a Sith too.

The whole 'Palpy couldn't reveal being a Sith due to Sidious being named before" doesn't add up.

As I see it,he liked to screw with people but having Darth Vader running around as your 2IC isn't clever if any Sith connections must be hidden as is argued re: Sidious' name.
  8. Master_Rebado Jedi Master

star 3
    Jango Fett refers to a man named Tyrannus on Kamino to Obi-Wan(though not as a Sith)

And I agree JBRO 13 that if Anakin was named such all throughout then there's no surprise in the OT.

And that's not the point I am referring to; by all means change Skywalker to Vader as it works well for the whole saga,it's the Palpatine Sith name that I am looking at.

All the same,having Darth Vader in the Empire high command is giving away the Sith connection already so Sidious using his Sith name is no less "risky" and let's face it what risk politically did the Emperor have besides Anakins' offspring?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.