main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Palpatine characterization thread: UP FOR ADOPTION!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by LLL, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotionWright

MotionWright Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 15, 2007
    I don't know about that index, LLL. There are enough Palpy-centric bunnies in the Plot Bunny Thread; maybe we should post these there as well so that they get more exposure. Anyway, after much reflection, I'm going to try to answer your question again.

Truth is, I would like to see more Palpatine stories, period. There aren't many, and that's a shame. With such an intriguing, multifaceted character, there is an infinity of ideas and possibilities to be explored. I'm writing several, but other people can see things I've missed, and that's what I would like to read.

One particular aspect I would like to see explored is the relationship between Palpatine and Padmé. Like someone said earlier, he must have been at least a mentor to her, and this is interesting, mainly because they're so different. Their beliefs clash, but think about how much they helped each other politically: according to the Star Wars Visual Dictionary, he was "instrumental" in getting her elected as Queen, and she practically made him Chancellor. The tension in this relationship is breathtaking.

I've seen AUs about it, but I would like to read a story that delves into their 'friendship' as it is in canon, because there are some holes in the movies where it's concerned. As I said before, if it hasn't been written, I write it, and that's what I'm doing. It is the epic project I'm working on. But I wish other people could write about this without going in the controversial ;) direction my story will take.

2. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    I wrote an audio drama about that. It's unproduced.

It's on ff.net.

3. MotionWright

Mar 15, 2007
    I think I've read it. No, scratch that - I have read and reviewed it (see, my memory is short nowadays). It was a one of a kind story and I haven't seen anything else like it.

I wish more people were interested in this, but maybe what they need is more stories about it. Which creates a very vicious circle...

4. JENNA

JENNA Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2005
    I just came across this thread. I would love to see more Palpy fanfic-- I am totally obsessed with the guy and love reading about him--(although I do have a friend that says I'm crazy, lol)

5. Kyana-Morgaine

Kyana-Morgaine Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2004
    Mind if I join you?

I'm a Palpatine groupie as well[face_skull]; in most of my fan fics he's the center of all actions. At the moment I try out a freaky pairing...

Uhm, don't want to cut your discussion; just wanna say "Hi" and would like to join you in here.

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm currently working on two stories that feature Palpatine characterization heavily. The first is one in which Vader dies at Yavin and Palpatine has a clone made to channel Anakin Skywalker's spirit. The problem is that the clone's last recollection is rescuing Palpatine from the Invisible Hand. Palpatine has to return Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side in the face of an already ongoing war and an Empire that Anakin Skywalker doesn't yet believe in.

The second is one that I've always wanted to see, about what kind of "First Lady" Palpatine would have had. It tells the story of his practically-arranged marriage before The Phantom Menace to the fate of the woman after the founding of the Empire.

7. Kyana-Morgaine

Oct 29, 2004
    Sounds very interesting to me. Currently I'm translating my Padme/Palpatine fan fic. Once again AU.
    I would love to read a story about his practically-aranged marriage (arranged to give him support in financual ways? or something like that?)

8. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Uhm, don't want to cut your discussion; just wanna say "Hi" and would like to join you in here.

No worries about that here.

Palpatine love stories! Palpatine love stories![face_love]

*dances up and down*

Palpatine love stories I know about:

In the Shadows of the Ivory Tower, by Gandolf the Grey, in the Archive.

A Room with a View, by Ansketil, on ff.net (because the content is, um, same sex, and explicit:eek: )

And then there's one I did in '05, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It takes place long after the affair, but Palpy and his lady, who's now married to someone else, are considering resuming their relationship. I'm anxious to read yours, Ish, because I'm always interested to see how someone else would have done it.

I should put these in the index I am (very sporadically!) working up.

Who else knows of any Palpy love-fests?

What's the hardest challenge in writing yours?

9. MotionWright

Mar 15, 2007
    Am writing one. It will be epic, and kind of a canon-compliant AU (a term that I have invented ;)). The hardest challenge is to conciliate Palpatine's character with the very idea of love/romance. I gave characterization the priority, and like in your story, LLL, that led the plot in a tragic direction. I don't think it can be any other way when you mix Palpatine (as we know him in the movies) and love.

:eek: =D= Wow - that's my favourite pairing, and to know you are writing it makes me 8-}.

10. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    *yells from the Senate Rotunda*

POST LINKS! POST LINKS!!

pretty please?[face_batting]

I'm going to put a "Palpy love stories" category in the index in the first post. But I won't be able to put links for two that I've mentioned, because of content not suitable for TFN.

11. Kyana-Morgaine

Oct 29, 2004
    ok, your wish is my command[face_laugh] . Here's the story I am sitting on at the moment.

http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/27429050/r27441614/

In German I'm already at chapter 24.
    The hardest part is, as mentioned before, connecting the character of Palpatine with the feeling of love. I prefer to describe Palpatine as a multiple character. Two persons; Sidious and Palpatine. And not everything Palpatine starts is according to Sidious plans.

Personally I believe even Palpatine isn't immune to such overwhelming feelings such as love and passion, lust. It is Sidious who takes the lead then forcing everything down that would make look Palpatine weak. Furthermore I bet Palpatine isn't able to stop feelings other characters have for him, so f.e. love, hate...

12. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Two more stories added to the "love index"[face_love]

(How could I forget the BrentusofGath hair-raiser "Choices," which, against anyone's expectations, did in fact turn into a Palpy love story?)

Others have gone the multiple-personality route with Palpy as well. For myself, I read a pile of books on criminality and on family dysfunction, and decided that Palpy was born a normal person like you or me, with the same needs for love. However, the Sith culture has made him ashamed of them, and taught him that love is a sham and to give in is weak and ensures one's doom. So Palpy has occasional feelings of need for someone, which are OK as long as he can use and dominate that person ... but as far as real love, which means the consideration of another's feelings the same as if they were his own ... well, he's been taught that that will mean death to him. Literally. So, he's got a conflict, there.

I think of Palpatine as having a lot in common with Scarlett O'Hara. When I write Palpy, he's Scarlett and my OC has the Rhett Butler role.

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/27422970/p1/?11

14. Kyana-Morgaine

Oct 29, 2004
    *sigh* I do anything else these days than translating and sleeping! *sigh*

*uhm...do I have a shift today????*

15. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    *pokes head in and looks around* Um... Palpatine Love stories, eh? Interesting topic

http://boards.theforce.net/a/b10476/23881825/

It was a crack!ship challenge... but fits the criteria. No, I don't write Palpy often *laughs*

I love your index - it's unique in a board awash with indexes ;)

16. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Really?[face_blush] Thanks!

Now if I could only WORK on the thing more often.

I don't know how I forgot your story. I love that vig![face_love]

Palpatine love story writers: What gave you the idea for your story?

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Actually, the idea for Wife of Deceit was partially inspired by V for Vendetta, in particular the fact that the person who loves the protagonist hurts her in order to make her his ally and weapon. I thought of that idea, but was mostly inspired by thinking of The American President and the effect on the presidency the idea of a new "first lady" was. Amne began developing out of that.

18. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Hmm ... *thinks about possible endings for "Wife" with that information* o_O

19. Kyana-Morgaine

Oct 29, 2004
    Honestly I'd been a bit inspired by "A Masquerade for Padme", but just on the possibly pairing Padme/Palpatine. I'd love to write about strange couples (Shmi/Palp.// Mon/Palp.), because there aren't barely any stories online.

The possibility of Palpatine and Padme being a couple isn't that absurd for at all. He had been her mentor, advisor and friend for a few year; They both have the same interests; politics, maybe art etc.. They do have much more in common than Anakin and Padme!

Hm, I guess "Frozen Blossom" isn't a story that runs very well on tfn.

20. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Sometimes you have to hand around for a while to get readers.

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    No, LLL, Amne is not going to blow up Parliament to the sounds of the 2096 Overture.

22. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I rolled some random numbers and ended up with the pairing *laughs*

As for the story line, I'd heard somewhere that behind every man in power is a good woman - and viola! The vig was born ;)

And I admit to taking the "forbidden" thing from the Ani/Padmé relationship. Adds spice *grin*

23. Kyana-Morgaine

Oct 29, 2004
    I agree, behind every man in power is a woman. Since Palpatine is officially unmarried,...uhm, he's the perfect "victim" for us ff authors to make the saying true.

But, now I'm wondering if behind every powerful man is a woman who guides him who is it in Palpatine case? I mean in the movies?o_O Time for speculation, that might never been solved[face_shhh] ...

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, I have a very specific idea of that, but I'm not giving away spoilers for Wife of Deceit.

25. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    My response: By the time of the movies, no one. Palpatine does not share power easily. If he did, it would be out of dire necessity only and once he no longer needed to do so ...

*snip, snip of the Great Cosmic Scissors cutting the woman out of Palpatine's life*

Or the hum of his lightsaber cutting her head off should she resist leaving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.