main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine Created The Rebel Alliance...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Admiral_JasterMereel, Jul 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_JasterMereel

Admiral_JasterMereel Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Is it possible that Supreme Chancellor Cos Palpatine not only created the Empire for himself, but also created the Rebel Alliance as some kind of personal enemy?

Think about this. Dooku is under Palpatine's control and Dooku forms the Separatist Movement which removes certain organizations and unions from the Republic. People and more organizations begin disliking Palpatine's Republic and join the Separatists. The Republic becomes the Galactic Empire and the Separatists the Alliance. Maybe creating an enemy to toy with gave him more sense of power. What do you think?

2. Kenobi217

Kenobi217 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2002
    I don't know..I suppose it's a possibility..but if Palpatine did indeed form them, he's stupider than we had previously thought..considering the fact that he formed the organization that in the end defeated him. Palpatine does like the sense of power, but I think creating an enemy might be taking it a little too far. Good thoughts though.

3. Admiral_JasterMereel

Jun 3, 2002
  4. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    With the Clone War and all, your right. Sidious created a problem for himself.

5. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    The Republic becomes the Galactic Empire and the Separatists the Alliance

We don't know the origins of the Alliance yet, but I don't think they originate from the seperatists - more likely it begins as oppostion to Palpy in the Senate.

6. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Palpy obviously created the seperatists as an opposition to the republic to generate a conflict/war to get himself emergency powers. BUT, to take it two steps further and say that the seperatists become the alliance thus Palps created the alliance is a bit of a stretch.

The seperatists (aside from being a tool of palpy's) seem to have wanted independence from the republic; the alliance sought to OVERTHROW the government...a slight difference in philosophy.

7. Lord_Coras

Lord_Coras Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    His name isn't Cos! [face_plain]

8. Admiral_JasterMereel

Jun 3, 2002
  9. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Unless you can find something in the movies, scripts, novelizations, radio dramas, or EU, it's not Cos. That's just fan speculation, like Yoda being a "Whill".

10. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    As far as I know nothing has stated his name is Cos. Not even the official site.

Back to topic, I don't think Palpatine initially did, it would seen rather stupid on his behalf. And if he did, I bet he really kicked himself in the a$$ when they blew-up the Death Stars ;)

ST

11. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    By creating the Empire he creates the Rebellion.

12. Admiral_JasterMereel

Jun 3, 2002
    Look on the www.imdb.com cast list. It says, Senator Cos Palpatine...

13. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    That's a fan thing. There is no official confirmation that his first name is Cos yet. Just look at the OS, it would state his first name as Cos.

ST

14. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Cos came from an early script, where the Emperor character was called Cos Da****.
    I don't think the Emperor we know in the films has a scripted first name.

15. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Look on the www.imdb.com cast list. It says, Senator Cos Palpatine...

It also says "Master Yoda D'Kana the Whill". Really now. Since when was IMDB a reliable source? They even have a bunch of AOTC quotes wrong!

16. Admiral_JasterMereel

Jun 3, 2002
    Where does it say that's Yoda's name?

17. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Someone hacked into their system and put that there.

18. Admiral_JasterMereel

Jun 3, 2002
    Ohhhhh...

Then I was right...

19. wilde_karrde2002

wilde_karrde2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    It may be that Palpatine, at leadt indirectly, caused the formation of the Rebel Alliance. But creating the seperatist movement was just a ploy to :
    a) get himself into power
    b) see to it that he was given absolute power(thanks Jar Jar)
    c) create an army to help him carry out his policies

As we see in the OT, once he become Emperor, Palpatine doesn't seemed concerned with any opposition, particuarly the Rebels. In fact, his total disrespect for the Alliance led to tactics that lead to his, and the Empire's downfall. So, he may have created the Alliance, but even at the end never considered it a true threat to him.

As far as the seperatists go, they clearly stop being a factor sometime between the beginning of Ep.III and the beginning of Ep.IV/

20. Phil-The-Fan

Phil-The-Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2002
    Well it does make sense when you put into account that he lets the death star II plans fall into the hands of the rebelion.

21. NML4891

NML4891 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    Palpatine didn't create the alliance. Although, it's a good theory. Palpatine knows there is power with resistence. That's why he instucted Dooku to create the separist movement. Because of the movement he was able to gain more power.

22. kirby2112

kirby2112 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2002
    Honestly, I don't think the seperatists become the rebel alliance. Bail Organa will eventually lead the rebels (I believe) and he has nothing to do with the seperatists. I believe the 'seperatists' will eventually meld with the empire, and the rebels come from people (including Organa, Padme, and the Jedi) who realize what the empire is and what the emperor really is. The rebels are a results of the empire being formed, which I believe will include the now republic and seperatists. What do you think?

23. KitFisto22

KitFisto22 Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2002
    i agree with kirby, how would a reasonably powerful group like the seperatist movement end up as poor as the rebel alliance? also, imperial AT-ST's and AT-AT's came from those walkers that were in the seperatist army.

24. ChancellorGoauld

ChancellorGoauld Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    Cos Palpatine - theres a laugh and a half.
    Why did the republic become the empire? 'Cos Palpatine is Sidious.

25. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    KitFisto22: Those walkers belonged to the clonearmy....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.