main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Palpatine Dark Empire series question

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthPaxious, Jul 12, 2018.

1. DarthPaxious

DarthPaxious Jedi Master

Jul 6, 2008
    Despite being a fan for years I am still discovering stuff from the old EU and this quote I found particularity interesting. " Palpatine knew precisely why the Empire couldn't last without his dread power: he had designed it that way. No one ever suspected how much he relied on the Dark Side of the Force. He shaped those of his government by using the Force against them. He used it to control his fleets and to drive his soldiers on to victory. He used it to destroy his enemies from a distance and learn of conspiracies against him. Without it, there was no way the Empire could endure, as he had designed it. The Dark Side flowed through him like some primordial ichor and was the key to all his power. It was the key to his destiny: for the Dark Side, coupled with his mastery of cloning, was the key to immortality."

I wish there was more detail of what exactly he did. Is he stating that he shaped his government by manipulating those in it with mind control? I assume controlling his fleet refers to his battle meditation, still I wonder how often and when he used it. Is his using it to destroy his enemies and discovering secrets a reference to his force visions? his emperor hands? Any ideas or theories. I admit I love the political aspect of Star Wars and hearing how Palpatine used the dark side for it fascinates me

PCCViking likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Have you read Darth Plagueis by James Luceno? That covers Palpatine's being influenced by the Dark Side and becoming Plagueis's apprentice.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  3. DarthPaxious

DarthPaxious Jedi Master

Jul 6, 2008
    Yes, love the book! I was more curious about what powers Palpatine used to control the Empire of we new how he actually did some of the things claimed in the quote like seeing and disposing his enemies and controlling members of hia government.