main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine = Hypocritical?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valyn, Mar 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I have a simple (stupid?) question.

From what I've garnered, Palpatine was prejudice against non-humans, correct?
    However, weren't the Sith originally non-humans? I recall reading about an actual race referred to as Sith.

According to various sites I've seen on the web, exiled Dark Jedi landed on the Sith homeworld and introduced the insectoid beings to the dark side of the Force.

Is this "canon"? Or was it merely fanfiction?

2. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Don't say the "C" word :p

It happened, or was referred to, in the comics The Golden Age Of The Sith and The Fall Of The Sith Empire. Odds are, this information was lost over time because it happened 5000 years before ANH. And, technically speaking, the Jedi were humans, and the Sith were an alien species that they took over, and made themselves "Lords" of.

wk

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Palpatine wasn't hypocritical. He used anti-alien sentiment to further his own ends and obtain more power, which is the goal of any Dark Lord of the Sith.

His thoughts on aliens were a means to an end, not the end itself.

4. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Plus, while Supreme Chancellor Palpatine might have been racist/sexist, Darth Sidious, Dark Lord of the Sith, wasn't because his first(?) apprentice was a Zabrak, the same as Eeth Koth.

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/eethkoth/img/movie_sm.jpg]

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/darthmaul/img/movie_sm.jpg]

wk

5. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    I don't think he was himself racist, like so many think. IMO, as Genghis said, he probably just used that to get even more power.

6. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    that probably happened then he just said it so much he believed it, so in the end he actually was, but not originally

7. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Hitler was a racist yet there was at least 5000 jews that fought on the german side during ww2. Some even in his command staff, or other command positions. When the need outwayed his hatred he used them to further his goals.

8. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Well, by the time of the Prequels, Sith was a religion, not a race. So while Darth Maul was a Zabrak, he was a member of the Sith religion.

It's still hard to tell for me if Palpy was truly racist or not. It could be one way or the other.

But being a Sith does not make him a hypocrite.

9. HotsForTahiri77

HotsForTahiri77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2002
    Are you sure you arent just all thinking about the Massassi?

10. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Massassi = Sith, kinda.

When Naga Sadow crashed on Yavin 4, he had a shipload of Sith. They eventually de-voloved into what would later be called Massassi by archaeologists.

wk

11. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    I'm not sure if palpatine was a racist. He did appear that way, but in VotF, someone mentions that the his three closest advisors were Vader, Mara, and Thrawn, the latter of them being a non-human. *shrugs* I really don't know.

~Inyri

12. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I think that hypocrisy is the least of your worries concerning Palpatine. How about Racist? or Murderous?

13. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Hypocritical? Are you kidding me? He invented the word. He's a traitor of the worst kind, but kills people for being disloyal. lol.......

14. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Yes. I realize how absurd it is for me to consider him hypocritical, but I was considering the Sith perspective, not all the other things he did. :)

15. METZ

METZ Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2001
    either way he wasnt a vry nice guy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.