main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine in ESB...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by anakinsrightarm, Jul 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinsrightarm

anakinsrightarm Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Pardon me if this has already been asked, but is it true that the face of the Emperor in Ep. V is that of an old woman with a man's voice overdubbed...?

I read this on an ESB trivia page, but I didn't necessarily believe it.

True? Thanks for your help

2. Yuuzhan_Vong_Warrior

Yuuzhan_Vong_Warrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Actually, an old woman's face was used with chimpanzee eyes put it in place of the woman's to make it look stranger. The voice was done by Clive Revill.

3. Jabbas_Tongue

Jabbas_Tongue Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2003
    His eyes did look pretty wierd. I wonder if there going to overdub the voice in the DVD to make it sound like the real emperor?

4. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
  5. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Yeah, in an old Ian McDiarmid interview, he said that the ESB Palps was a mix of many things:
    - an old actress from New-York
    - much make-up
    - chimp eyes
    - voice of Clive Revill

---
    Ian also answered this question:
    Talking of tinkering, he's gone back and done the Special Editions in the past. Has he ever talked to you about replacing Clive Revill's performance with you?
    I don't know about Clive. I'm sure that's occurred to somebody, but we'd have to talk about that. The other thing about George is it's also important for him not to pretend that we're remaking the others now. There would be little lines on something that's been driving him mad for years, and he'd be able to change that. But I don't think he'll do any radical changes.
    ---

There are even rumours that the scene already has been reshot during/after AOTC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.