main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Palpatine in Future Anthology Films

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthSheev, Jul 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    I've heard this idea tossed around on the Internet a couple of times, and there are some saying that McDiarmid is taking an interest in a potential Palpatine spinoff. I kind of have mixed feelings about this. I love Sheev a lot (if you hadn't already noticed) and so would be super excited about this, but I also enjoy the mysteries surrounding his character, and would hate to see some sort of origin story that falls flat. If it's after ROTS, that would be better, IMO. I just don't know what the story could revolve around though. Perhaps him traveling to a dark planet to seek out some hidden Sith artifact or something.[face_dunno] I know one thing; if it does happen, I better see some Royal Guards, and they better fight and defend their master. That's something I've always wanted to see. McDiarmid will knock it out of the park, if this does happen. That being said, this seems like one of the lesser likely ideas to be made into an Anthology movie, but the opportunities are endless, right?

Mostly Handless and whostheBossk like this.
  2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I don't think so honestly. It would be nearly impossible to get Disney to do a story about Palpatine given the fact he is the primary villain. They had a problem with the 'morality' of Edger Wrights Ant-Man script, so I doubt they would be okay with a Palpatine film.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  3. DarthSheev

Mar 9, 2015
    I kind of agree with you on that. This would be an incredibly difficult film to realize, and possibly too dark. It's like having the devil himself as the hero. I'm sure really talented writers could come up with something brilliant, but it probably wouldn't really feel like Star Wars. We'll just have to wait and see.

4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Oh it could be done, after all Paradise Lost exists... But I don't think Disney would want to potentially damage the brand.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    If Darth Plagueis IS who Serkis is playing (yes; as stubborn as it sounds, due to lack of debunking proof, I'm still holding on to that...till I see the movie, yo! :p ), then I would say a Palpatine/Plagueis Anthology-focusing on Sith lore and all that-could be great.

It would be a great opportunity for lots of interesting elements, not to mention cameos in there as well.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  6. Charon Lefleur

Charon Lefleur Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2015
    I'd be more afraid of Disney doing something like Maleficent with a Palpatine origin story - trying to rationalize why he's evil through some sympathetic build-up. I've always liked the Michael Myers approach to really otherworldly villains - the explanation remains shrouded in mystery. All you know is he's really, really messed up.

7. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    Would love a Palptaine/Plaguies movie.

8. IriomoteYamanexu

IriomoteYamanexu Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2015
    How about a spinoff focusing on a Red Guard and we get to see some Palpatine action in it. They were my favorite parts of the "Lords of the Sith" novel, and it would keep Palpatine pretty mysterious.

9. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I say a Netflix Palps/Vader TV show is better set between III and IV.[face_whistling]

Charon Lefleur likes this.
  10. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    What a Palpatine/Plagueis series before the PT and a Palpatine/Vader series set after?

Darkslayer and Charon Lefleur like this.
  11. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015
    I don`t think I`d like to see Palpatine`s origins explained. He`s the ultimate evil, SW`s anology to the devil, as George says. I`d like to keep that ultimate evil a mystery, I think it is more menacing that way.

Darth__Lobot and Charon Lefleur like this.
  12. Charon Lefleur

Charon Lefleur Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2015
    I agree, give Palpatine the Michael Myers treatment - no explanation for the evil.

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd love to see what Palpatine was doing during ANH. The dissolution of the Senate and the PR for the destruction of Alderaan and the battle of Yavin are all things that interest me. I'd also like to learn about what Sheev had planned for the Sith shrine beneath the Imperial Palace.

14. DarthSheev

Mar 9, 2015
    Yeah, I think it would be cool. Sheev on Coruscant in the OT time period would be unique as we can see it as Imperial Center, as opposed to the capital of the Galactic Republic. Mas Amedda could be a major player as well. And I want to see more of the Sith shrine. Is that where he peered into the dark side and "foresaw" the stuff he claims to foresee?

Star Wars Anthology: Shadows of the Sith or maybe Star Wars Anthology: Secrets of the Sith

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    This would be great... Star Wars meets Paradise Lost - As long as the outstanding Ian McDiarmid performed the role again I'd be up for it....

16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The only way to do it would be with an already established "schemer" Sheev. Him being mysterious evil makes him all the more effective as a villain imo.

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    You don't necessarily have to got back to Palpatine's origins (though that would be great) but how about a movie where The Emperor and Vader go on a mission of some sort (maybe they literally go to Hades to try and discover eternal life, etc...)

Sure it would be the darkest ever Star Wars movie... But with McDiarmid in the lead it could be an exceptional movie.

18. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I've thrown around the idea of a sith anthology (not just about palpatine but with him as a main character) set a year or two before TPM, inspired by darth plaguies, though a part of me wants the plagueis scene to remain a bit of a legend. maybe an entirely new character with similarities to the plagueis legend. anyway, basic plot:

set six months to a year before the phantom menace. film begins with the new sith lord (may or may not be plagueis) who gives us insight on sith philosophy and the rule of two. we then see him training palpatine and all that. really intense sequences to get everything in motion. we then see palpatine's public facade- a conscientious senator dedicated to peace and democracy. much of the film follows palpatine's political manoeuvring, but instead of boring senate speeches, we just get one good speech combined with behind the scenes corruption, assassination attempts, creating the seperatist movement, etc. giving us action sequences and really dramatic dialogue parts. palpatine and the new sith lord begin to have disagreements over how to infiltrate the republic, and the two plot to kill each other. this leads palpatine to a new world where he meets darth maul (I guess the clone wars already gave him backstory idk) who then fights his way out and is trained by palpatine. palpatine and the new character seem to come to an agreement before palpatine brutally murders him, the climax of the film.

idk just a general idea. would be difficult because I'm not imagining a lot of action which is unconventional for star wars. like the death scene at the end would have no lightsaber fight or anything; it would build itself up more through suspense and shock than anything. also palpatine wouldn't be directly involved in almost all of the action sequences, which would be filled mostly by darth maul, bounty hunters, etc. and it'd raise more questions than answers, not ruining the mystery.

19. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Hmm.. hard to see how you would go with that without bringing in more OLD REPUBLIC SENATE HOUR fun-ness. I suspect that there is a strong market (Disney, I just *know* that some poor intern is reading this) for at least a half hourly serial of Palpatine just wickedly cackling.

20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Palpatine so far has been a flat character and not really relatable. Why would a general audience prefer a film about him more than about another Maleficient or if we go back to Star Wars, Darth Vader?

Those have relatable human emotions, Palpatine is just eeeevil with not a single redeeming quality. A caricature by definition. Heck, even McDiarmid has compared him to Satan.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P5210 mit Tapatalk

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    No.

And not for 'morality.' Disney had a problem with Edgar Write's Ant-Man script's morality because Ant-Man is a superhero.

I think Palpetine should not be explored at all. Not every mystery should have an answer in story.

22. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    But guys, we must relate all the villains now. Setting a good example for the audience is soo old-school. We must show everyone that being bad can be good.

Mostly Handless and whostheBossk like this.
  23. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    I really want to see some more of this amazing actor playing Palpatine. He's getting up there in age and with Disney's focus on more OT-era material, I think it would be a crime for him not to return in some capacity in a future spinoff movie, if not his own spinoff film!

What are your thoughts? Should this happen? Is it likely?

24. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

It's an older thread, but it checks out.

25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015

The world is so much easier to understand when you can dump everyone into either the "Good" or "Bad" bucket.

A post-Sith story with Sheev sneaking around in search of the Ancient Sith Thing of Things could be fun. People not suspecting this disfigured old man, until he erupts with a mad cackle and a lightsaber. His own personal adventure.
    Probably never to be a movie, but a comic, a book, a Rebels Episode...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.