main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine origins ... ?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by TheOzhaggis, Jun 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Some trivia I stumbled across doing my bookworm thing ...

(Obviously, this will not be news to some, but for others it will, and that's who I post for ...)

Palatine Hill is (according to legend) the birthplace of Ancient Rome. It was where Romulus and Remus were found by the she-wolf that kept them alive, and where Romulus decided to build Rome.

The Roman emperors built their palaces on Palatine hill (which is were the word "palace" originates) - you can still see the ruins of the palaces of Augustus, Tiberius and Diocletianus.

"Palatine" is an adjective for anything palatial; also for a high officer of a palace - generally, anyone with royal privileges.

Later, "palatine" was the name given to soldiers who guarded the Emperor's palace. It was later used for all soldiers in the Roman army.

A "palatinate" is a territory ruled over by a "palatine count," who was originally a representative of the emperor but later became the hereditary ruler of the territory.

Given Lucas' love of history and wordplay, I'm guessing this would be the source for Palpatine's name: Palatine hill, birthplace of Ancient Rome, and home of Roman Emperors ...

2. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    I believe that if we were to ever learn of any of Palpatine's orgins, it would be in the EU. The movies will keep that a mystery and I kinda like that. I like knowning that Palpatine is mysterious.

3. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    I don't think even the EU will be able to exploit Palps past. If it is revealed, I rather it be in the movies or George talking about it himself.

4. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    After Episode III is finished, it could be possible that the EU will be able to write on Palpatine's past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.