main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine: Reverts to true form OR damaged because of Mace

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by imajkt, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VEJJITA

VEJJITA Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2004
    judging by his own reaction to the incident, i.e. he doesn't care, plus the novel saying palpatine is a mask he hides behind i'd have to say it's his true form.
    and in his duel with mace, he's never once losing. it's all to get anakin to turn.

2. Fusion121

Fusion121 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    I think its almost certainly a combination of the two factors; the drawing on a large amount of darkside energy combined with the fact that the power was then bouncing off the lightsaber onto him.

3. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
  4. CosPalpatine

CosPalpatine Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2002
    If his true face was the disfigured one, then ealier, why wasn't the hooded Sideous in Episode I & II disfigured? His nose and chin were obviously in the same condition that Palpatine's was.

He was damaged in the fight with Windu and never looked like that before.

5. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I think it's his true form. the only reason he changed was to make it look to Anakin that he was weak and needed his help.

Finally, if it his is true form why doesn't he revert back to it in the scenes in the senate or the rest of the movie?

I think the reason he is like that during and after the Senate scene is so he can get more sympathy from the senate. Plus there is also no more reason to hide behind the other face. Also, maybe he prefers his true form because it represents ho powerful he is.

6. imajkt

imajkt Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Yuschenko had a similar situation when he was poisoned by the ruling party last year. And then won in a landslide.

I think it's ironic how fiction again mirrors real life.

Palpatine obviously uses his own scarred appearance to justify the attacks on the Jedi, and became more popular as "this is how democracy ends with thunderous applause."

7. elric300

elric300 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2004
    It's aboslutely due to his short battle with Mace. It's quite evident.

I like it. I think it's good that Mace left Palpatine with something to remember everytime he looked in the mirror. Can't say Mace didn't go down fighting.

8. DefenderOfTheEmpire

DefenderOfTheEmpire Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    I beleive that Palpatine allowed his true from to be revealed, making anakin think that he was being defeated, and since palpatine was the only one who would how how to save padme he allowed Mace to seem to have the upper hand and tricked anakin. A Sith lord wouldnt go down so easily.

9. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    Forget it people: He let his face get fried. And he had Mace right where he wanted him.

10. KÃ¥l

KÃ¥l Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    When Palpatine was declaring the Empire at the senate, he blamed the Jedi for disfiguring him, yet he wasn't "poor me", he was raging like a madman! Obviously, he had decided that it was better to rule through fear than keep up his previously charming facade.

11. SomebodyElse

SomebodyElse Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2005
    I don't agree he had Mace where he wanted him, he didn't seem like he liked the fact he was getting lightning shot back at him.......but it was definitely disfigurement, look at the smoke coming from his body after it happens....he was fried

12. King-Ripuli

King-Ripuli Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2004
    If the novel says that Palpatine is a mask he hides behind (or however it's worded) does not necessarily mean that it is a literal mask. Palpatine the Chancellor, the person, is a mask. A mask isn't necessarily something you just cover your face with. I still think he was jacked up by the lightning (either intentionally or not is irrelevant).

13. Yin-Jun

Yin-Jun Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    Totally agree, glad to see there are a few people around here who think Palpatine was just leading mace along for the ride.

14. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I thought it was because of the lightning damage.

15. Darth_Iquitous

Darth_Iquitous Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    The lightning deformed his face. Period. Sidious discards the name "Palpatine" after the incident, seeing as how the Jedi are destroyed and he no longer needs to pretend to be a kind and doting politician, it doesn't matter what he looks like.

16. tephjo

tephjo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    The lightning caused his face to revert.

It obviously didnt cause him any pain, and if the lightning is what did it , he would have gotten even more damaged when he fought Yoda...but he didnt.

Darth Maul was a prelude to this. He had the eyes and the teeth.

...but the main thing is, he shot out more lightning vrs Yoda then he did with Mace, if the overload didnt deform Yoda or Sids, it wouldnt deform anyone.

Its not lightning. Its hate.

Hate is what made Maul look the way he did. Its what made Anakins eyes look the way they did...and the same holds true for Sidious.

Its hate bubbling to the surface after years of being repressed, brought out by the dark side of the force.

17. SrWilson

SrWilson Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    My thoughts are either he looked normal like the chanceller except his true form was just his eyes would go yellow.
    Or perhaps if you go by the novel then maybe the theory is he had managed to build himself into a normal looking person from not using his powers in a long long time but once he had to tap into his powers when confronted - IE by mace he caused his true inner decay to once again resurface by using his force lightning which also took a toll on his body due to it being repelled right in his face.

Just a thought!

18. Kurtmajister

Kurtmajister Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2004
    Watch carefully during the scene where he changes. You see his face gradually change due to arcs of lightning hitting him. It's down to the lightning!

19. MasterJedi101

MasterJedi101 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2004
    with everyone agreeing that the lighting deforms him.

The discussion between palapatine playing mace like a fool has come to an end.

With the force lighting deforming his face. That means that Palapatine wasnt playing mace. Mace really owned him

20. ZombieMonkey

ZombieMonkey Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2000
    For what it's worth, I do think it should be noted that his eyes don't change until the deflected lightning hits him, and I assume we can all agree that the lightning is not responsible for the eye change.

My feeling is that the face change is due to the lightning, but it does seem kind of open ended. Is it possible his real face is exposed from all the power he's exerting at that moment?

21. RossN

RossN Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2002
    I believe he was deformed by his Force Lightning... but also that he manipulated events such (too play on Anakin's sympathies and, later, the Senate).

Palpatine knew exactly what he was doing during his fight with Mace Windu.

22. Darth Homer 327

Darth Homer 327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 1999
    If you notice, as his face deforms, his eyes eyes change too. They get that "Sith" Darth Maul look like Anakin gets later after he completley turns to the dark side. And after Mace is dead, his voice changes, it gets deeper and sounds more like his voice in ROTJ.

He clearly was disguising himself, and used it as a ploy to get Anakin to turn on Mace.

23. Lord_Plo_Koon

Lord_Plo_Koon Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2004
    Sigh. I just saw the movie couple of hours ago. The reason of palpatine's face is because of hate. Someone posted that you can see his face change during the sabre fight. That is true. When mace and him were clashing there were 1-2 seconds glimpses of his face changing. It makes more mythological sense that it is his hate that makes him look like that and not because of some lightning. And mace was not deflecting that lightning back he was blocking it and as a result it was deflecting.

On a side note Mace did best Sids in the sabre fight, however after mace kicked his saber out the window sids was def faking it. Notice how he only used the lightning after anakin arrived. He had a good time before that to blast his lightning but he didnt.

24. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Exactly, their should be no more debate. Simple explanation was stated above in that how could the lightning change his voice as well? It couldn't so just understand that a Sith lord uses hate and would easily look the way he does. He wants Anakin and the rest of the Senate to think it caused his deformation.
    Yes Mace seemed to have bested him, but let's not go overboard with Mace caused him to look like that bologny!! Besides was he training in the ways of a Sith 1000 years ago looking like Senator Palpatine? Don't think so.

25. JustinPeeler

JustinPeeler Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2003
    His face doesn't change during the duel. He is defromed by the lightning. Listen to his voice, people! It is seriously screwed up for a while after that fight, and doesn't revert to "normal" until later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.