main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine should of had screen time in ANH & ESB

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Fireant, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clonetrooper1000

Clonetrooper1000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2003
    There was an intention, but nothing more. The idea was abandoned. However, the important fact here is that Lucas never once edited his story to fit these proposed 9 films except in the 9-part plan he done with Kurtz.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, no, I still think it looks like 7-9 were combined with 6, but since 7-9 were only outlined in broad strokes, it was rather easy to do so for the most part (again, shy the sister thing). And, he obviously made some changes to the PT on-the-fly as well, but that's a whole other topic.

3. Lord_Darth_Bob

Lord_Darth_Bob Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 29, 2001
    Well, Lucas himself has said on many occasions that he never had any story beyond Episode VI.

He lied.

His dissertation in the novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye clearly speaks of nine films.

His words.

4. Mr E

Mr E Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 1999
    What is Splinter of the Mind's Eye about, and when was it written?

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    SOTME was written in 1977 by Alan Dean Foster (who ghost-wrote the novelization to Star Wars for Lucas), it was commisioned to be a low-budget sequel to Star Wars (which is why it takes place on a single, foggy swamp planet).

After Star Wars was such a success, Lucas saw he could afford to make a more epic follow-up, so LFL made their own, while SOTME was published in 1978 as a Star Wars tie-in.

I haven't read the book yet myself, but, as far as I'm aware, the story is mainly about Luke and Leia arriving on the planet to, I think, to acquire allies for the Alliance. Along the way they discover the Kaiburr Crystal, which can amplify the Force. Vader, searching for the crystal, and some stormtroopers eventually arrive as well. It basicly leads up to a lightsaber duel between Luke and Vader. Kenobi's spirit joins Luke, which allows him to hold his own against Vader, Luke manages to lob off Vader's arm and Luke and Leia escape.

That's a cruddy summary though, for a more detailed summary, check out theforce.net/timetales/

6. Clonetrooper1000

Clonetrooper1000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2003
    Lord_Darth_Bob: "He lied. His dissertation in the novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye clearly speaks of nine films. His words."

Lord_Darth_Bob, I think you are not really up-to-date on this topic.

At the point where he wrote his introduction to Splinter of the Mind's Eye, he was considering changing his 6-part saga into a 9-part saga.

However, he never went through with it. He never wrote a post-story except for some ideas written on scraps of paper with Kurtz.

So he wasn't lying. He still says in interviews that at one point he was considering doing another trilogy. However, he didn't develop or extend or produce any story beyond episode VI.

The2ndQuest: "Well, no, I still think it looks like 7-9 were combined with 6"

There was nothing (except a few notes) to expand the idea into an extra trilogy.

Before that Lucas already written a basic outline for two trilogies. He did make some changes as time progressed, but he has done all the SW films. One of these major changes was the Luke/Leia as siblings plot-line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.